It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buying a dog, need help.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: CallYourBluff

well we weren't playing pool at the 'pud'... Aussie lingo means pub... hotel... pool tables...beer and wine etc.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
No matter what you are going to have to train the dog. Don't do AKC breeds, as members have said it will lead to problems down the road. Don't limit yourself on size either - a Jack Russ or a Llahaso Apso could be the perfect dog for you. Look around, get your feelers out.

DONT GET A BULL MASTIFF. Those are dogs for farms. And they like to bite.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Thurisaz

oh and it is a foul shot... if you don't have a foot on the ground.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thurisaz
a reply to: CallYourBluff

well we weren't playing pool at the 'pud'... Aussie lingo means pub... hotel... pool tables...beer and wine etc.

Haha, I wouldn't care but d is nowhere near b. I'm on the wine though, so it's excusable. Now lets get back to that 3 legged god.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thurisaz
a reply to: Thurisaz

oh and it is a foul shot... if you don't have a foot on the ground.

Only if you're using your penis.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArchPlayer
No matter what you are going to have to train the dog. Don't do AKC breeds, as members have said it will lead to problems down the road. Don't limit yourself on size either - a Jack Russ or a Llahaso Apso could be the perfect dog for you. Look around, get your feelers out.

DONT GET A BULL MASTIFF. Those are dogs for farms. And they like to bite

All dogs can "like to bite" if they're not properly socialized. I'm sure my Rottweiler would like to bite too but he was raised correctly. His 3 favorite things in life are any other dog, children, and cats.
A good friend of mine has 3 Bull mastiffs, from 110-160lb and they're wonderful. He also has two young children and the dogs love them to death.
They're fantastic dogs as long as you can keep up with the food bill!
As for not getting any AKC breed, as long as they come from a good, reputable, responsible breeder that's not such a problem. It's when you get a back yard breeder who just has two pet store/puppy mill dogs and decides to mate them that it becomes an issue.
OP, I don't know if anyone has said it yet but give Petfinder.com a shot. You can find just about anything on there and 99% of them are from a shelter. Lots of mutts, and lots of pure bread.
Look up Catahoula Lepord Dogs. One of the coolest breeds I've ever seen/met, loooots of them came through the shelter when I was there. That's what my girlfriend and I are getting when we get out of our current apartment and are allowed to have two dogs.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Silicis n Volvo

Don't buy a dog. Save a dog from euthanasia.

You can find various rescues/shelters that will only charge you the cost of spay/neuter, and a small admin fee (to help cover their costs). some won't even charge that.

I have had several doxy's, and find them a great companion. But any breed that is smaller will have a chance to do well if they have the right temperament. Go to a shelter, and browse. Find one that is what you are liking, and that has the right temperament.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Get one from a Dog rescue shelter, preferably a mongrel, in my experience they live longer and require less care and maintenance regarding the vet!

edit on 25-8-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I think you should go with your first instinct and get a Beagle. They are wonderful dogs. I had one for almost 13 years and now I have two that are rescues. Hopefully I can address some of your concerns here.

Yes, they can be stubborn but they aren't really harder to train than a lot of other dogs. in fact, they're very willing to please. As with any dog it just requires patience.

A beagle will wonder if he/she catches a scent. But this is why they make leashes and/or fenced in yards. In fact, any dog can get lost chasing a squirrel, following a scent or doing other normal doggie activities. Like any good parent you should provide some sort of precaution or supervision.

A beagle could bark, cry or carry on if left alone. So could every other breed. Beagles get a bad rap for being vocal just because of their beagle bark. Beagles are more pack oriented than a lot of other breeds so a lot of people recommend getting two.

Check out this web site if you're interested. It's where I adopted my little girl...

sosbeagles.org...

Good luck!!

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: RomaSempre

We had a lot of Beagels come through the helper too. I fully agree with your post. At least half of them made less noise than the other dogs.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Thanks everyone. We didnt consider the shelter at first but we will now.

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   
You should definitely rescue or purchase a shelter puppy or dog. There are so many dogs that need adopted.

www.scottspuppypalace.com...

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Get an older dog that does not need a lot of exercise or a large yard.

It will also already be house-broken and won't need constant attention.

Plus, people abandon older dogs because they aren't as cute as puppies and you'd be saving a good (already trained) dog.

In my opinion.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

The thread is a zombie, revived after being dead 5 years.

That said....since my post in this thread, i have had a young fella named Samby come to live with us. He was born in an alley and was the only of his siblings never adopted. An adorable German Shepherd/Goldie mix that spent the first 18 months of his life in a shelter, living on concrete and in a cage.

He owns all our hearts. People who come to visit comment that he's the best dog they've ever seen. Gentle, loving, expressive, thankful...all the things that endear people to Samby.

When my son came home with him i wasn't happy. Its the best thing he's ever done for our household in retrospect. Samby was meant to be with us...it just took 18 months to find him.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The thread may be a zombie but the message remains.

Rescue dogs need homes also!

Samby is a perfect example!

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   

this was my Poopsie and my oldest Grandson. Grandson is 12, dog has passed on. She was an amazing dog, and such a sweet disposition. A designer breed, Puggle. part pug, part beagle. Size was medium to small, but she ate well, and tipped more towards medium. I'd get another one today. Good luck and I hope you find more than just a dog. They can be so much more.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join