It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heat Beam Ready for Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Raytheon has developed a "Heat Beam" weapon based on millimeter wave technology or microwave energy that is ready for testing in Iraq.

Heat Beam

The weapon, mounted on a Humvee vehicle, projects a "focused, speed-of-light millimeter wave energy beam to induce an intolerable heating sensation,'' according to a U.S. Air Force fact sheet. The energy penetrates less than 1/64 of an inch into the skin and the sensation ceases when the target moves out of the beam.

The weapon could be used for crowd control and is effective beyond the range of bullets fired by small arms, Karcher said. The effective range of an AK-47 assault rifle is as far as 273 yards, while an M16A2 rifle has a range of 400 meters.

These weapons if deployed by the US military usher in a new era of non-lethal response to groups presenting threatening but not lethal threats to US forces.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I thought these were already being tested in Iraq. Many reports at the start of the year, as well as a few photos showed up with some of the new conventional weapons. I'm pretty sure I saw them here on ATS.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I applaud this development and technological achievement.

The task of giving a measured response to mobs of protesters in wich could be hidden a few arms bearing extremists (such as in Mogadishu) is not an easy one!

As with every tool it all depends on how its used and by who. It could also be used to have Gitmo prisoners medium or well done during questioning without leaving torture marks ion the body....

new topics

join