It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Strange Sound in the Pacific Since 1991

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Not sure if this is in the right forum but here goes. There's a sound in the Pacific Ocean that scientists call "Upsweep" but no one knows where the sound originates. It's just one of those mysteries in the world

The US Navy had never seen this signal before in its decades of listening under the waves, according to a 2002 New Scientist article. Upsweep was heard straight across the Pacific, ruling out certain localized or small-scale sources.

The sound persisted, with a peak in strength in 1994. Since then, it has been subsiding, though it remains audible, reports the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). It seems to peak in the spring and fall. This could be related to the source of the sound, or it may simply be that the sound travels better in the aquatic environment at these times for whatever reason, says NOAA.

The sound is uniform overall, unlike the varied sounds of most volcanic activity and unlike the varied intonations of whale communications. But Emile Okal of Northwestern University in Chicago and Jacques Talandier, formerly with the French Atomic Energy Agency, suggested a particular type of volcanic activity that may be the cause.

What does ATS think of this? What could this be?

www.theepochtimes.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook
If I were to guess is would still say its volcanic activity

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

sounds like the jungle at night

monkeys on the prowl

funBox

edit on 23-8-2014 by funbox because: wolftube

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Maybe some kind of anti submarine weapon.
Or it's HAARP

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
It's Ningen

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 23-8-2014 by Yuuma because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Godzilla

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Aliens!

or

Submarines

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I love this kind of stuff. There's also the Lone Whale that is heard. They suspect it's either the only one in existence or the only one heard so far. Then there's Julia. I only learned about this tonight. I don't know why, but I think it's methane bubbles escaping. (Jumping Jack Flash Hypothesis)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: funbox

Sea Monkeys no doubt

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
There are over 1 million hydrothermal vents guesstimated that reside in the oceans. Spewing stuff out at different velocities.. The vents are much like flutes and are capable of making all kinds of localized sounds depending on the effluents being ejected and the internal chambers of the vents. Notice I said localized .. For something to be heard ocean wide ? Somezilla must have eaten something that disagreed with it's digestive track or ?

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yuuma
It's Ningen

What's Ningen?

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Godzilla

We actually talked about these mysterious sounds on an episode of the ATS Live Radio Show Reality Remix a couple seasons back. There are some that think it is proof of the existence of Kathulu.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
"The “Ningen” — which translates as “human” in Japanese — was so dubbed by the Pacific fishermen who claimed to have seen the colossal creature in the 1990s. These professional anglers were astounded by the size of this monster and even more shocked by this ostensibly albino beast’s distinctly humanoid form.''

mysteriousuniverse.org...
reply to: lostbook

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
The portion of the article saying that it seems to peak during the Spring and Fall...led me to wonder if ocean currents were perhaps causing the sound... somehow...

Currents do apparently fluctuate with seasons:

Between the two trade-wind belts is a region of generally light winds, known as the Doldrums. This allows water, which would otherwise pile up against the western boundary of the ocean in the Equatorial currents, to flow back eastwards in the surface Equatorial Countercurrent. There is also an eastward-flowing Equatorial Undercurrent, which forms a jet within the thermocline , driven by the horizontal pressure gradient . This system of eastward-flowing and westward-flowing currents is found in the upper 200 meters (650 feet) in all three oceans, although their distribution may change seasonally depending on the wind forcing. The equatorial undercurrents are much stronger than the surface currents at the equator, and can have flows of more than 50 Sv.

Source

So maybe the forces behind the ocean currents are causing some type of sound resonation? Just throwing it out there as a possible...possibility.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I would think it is the (Chinese/Russian/American/Japanese/alien) bases at the bottom of the sea. Their air conditioning or generating plant is making this noise. Could be aliens mining the seabed?

Surely with the US technology they can pinpoint where it is coming from. If they cannot, then how can they pinpoint enemy subs, volcanic eruptions, MH370 crashing into the sea, etc. I think they already know what it is but just cannot say and have disclosed it as 'unknown' in case any other country or organisation raises the query.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Aliens!

or

Submarines

It's Dolphin-speak for "So long and thanks for all the fish."
(Oh, somebody had to say it.)

Seriously, the seasonal ebb and flow of it... the Earth is breathing?

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: qmantoo

And when MH370 went missing I couldn't understand how they can lose an airplane? Nearly everything is under surveillance but all of a sudden all that technology is proven useless? Doesn't add up.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: new_here
It's Dolphin-speak for "So long and thanks for all the fish."
(Oh, somebody had to say it.)

Seriously, the seasonal ebb and flow of it... the Earth is breathing?

42 is the answer

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: funbox

sounds like the jungle at night

monkeys on the prowl

funBox

Earth has ADT MONITORING .
Sounds like someone smashed a window and tried to break in .

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join