It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does a Florida County Need Eight $18 Million Helicopters?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
(This thread was supposed to be posted on the Breaking Alternative News, since it is fairly new, less than a day old. However for some unknown reason when trying to post it the post button doesn't appear. Been trying for a bit over an hour now and it just doesn't want to post it, even when doing a search I couldn't find any mention of this news. So please whenever possible move it to the Breaking Alternative News.)

Why Does a Florida County Need Eight $18 Million Helicopters?

Posted on August 22, 2014 by Dean Garrison

Earlier this week we published a link to an online database where you can look to see what kind of military equipment your local county is stockpiling. Several other publications have linked to this database as well. I heard from a couple of people that it might not be a 100% comprehensive list, but others are discovering that, whether it is comprehensive or not, there is a lot to be learned from looking in that database.

Imagine looking and finding out that your county police bought 8 Apache Helicopters and had done so over three years ago. That is exactly the experience from one person who searched the database for purchases in Brevard County, Florida.

www.dcclothesline.com...

I am not entirely sure about the veracity of the source and have been trying to find corroborating evidence to support this, if it is true.

I found other websites mentioning this purchase, but most of them I have either never heard of, some were websites like "beforeit'snews" which I don't think we can really rely on.

However, doing a bit more research on it I did find this info and website which does corroborate the purchase of 8 helos valued at 18 million each. BTW, that website also gives you the tools to search and find a database which has been made available by the Law Enforcement Support Office of the Defense Logistics Agency, and shows what sort of military equipment is being sold to police departments across the United States and is being supplied by the U.S. Military and Department of Homeland Security.

I know that the article is mentioning the purchase of grenade launchers, however, using the link/database provided in that article we can find the purchase of 8 helos bought by the Brevard county. All you have to do is scroll down on that article to get to the search engine, and then input the info to search on Brevard county FL.

Database: How many grenade launchers did Michigan police departments receive?

By Detroit Free Press staff
| FILED UNDER -
Local News
/ Michigan news |
1:00 AM, Aug. 17, 2014

More than $43 million worth of property has been transferred to law enforcement in Michigan from January 2006 through April 23 of this year. Nationally, more than $4.3 billion worth of property has been transferred to law enforcement since the program’s inception in fiscal year 1997, according to Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), which oversees the Law Enforcement Support Office (or 1033) program out of its office in Battle Creek. More than 8,000 agencies participate nationwide.

• Related: Do police need grenade launchers, other military weapons? Officers say yes

Use this database to see where the military equipment is going by state and county and the type of items being received, The listed value of the items is what it would cost to buy them if they had not been donated.

www.freep.com...

Here is a screenshot of the database showing the purchase of the 8 helos back in 2011.

However, the database does not specifically mention that the helos are AH-64s (Apaches) although the purchase is for military helos.

I did find a contractor website that mentions the transfer of AH-64s to Brevard county in 2011, but it doesn't specifically mention to whom these helos were being sold, and the contractor link is not being very friendly in allowing me to track the specifics of this purchase. Although I am pretty sure we all can see these are more than just coincidences. ;P

It is also very possible this acquisition is part of the following.

Governor Scott Announces North American Surveillence Systems Expansion in Brevard County

On January 22, 2014, in News Releases, by Governor's Press Office

Aircraft modification company to create 20 jobs with expansion project

Today, during a meeting of the Florida Cabinet, Governor Rick Scott announced that North American Surveillance Systems Inc. (NASS) has chosen Titusville’s Space Coast Regional Airport to expand and consolidate its fixed and rotary-wing aircraft modification business. The company currently has operations offices in DeLand and will create 20 jobs over the next three years in manufacturing and engineering with the expansion. The project will create a capital investment of $1.3 million in land acquisition and $380,000 in construction and equipment.

Governor Scott said, “North American Surveillance Systems’ is a veteran owned business that’s growing jobs and opportunities for Florida families. We have been working hard to create jobs, and since I took office more than 446,300 private-sector jobs have been created. Additionally, Florida’s unemployment rate is down to 6.4 percent – the lowest it’s been in more than five years. We will continue to work hard to create an opportunity economy in Florida that supports jobs for generations to come.”

www.flgov.com...

Yeah, it would look great for "business" except that these aircraft are military and are being provided to police departments.

Now, maybe some of you remember, maybe not. But some time ago I also posted a couple of videos of military helos conducting exercises in the middle of a Florida highway shooting blanks at cars as people were driving at night. There had been no mention whatsoever that these exercises were going to be conducted, and obviously there were people who were scared. You could even hear the shots of the blanks as the military helos were shooting.

Let me try to find it again.

(youtube seems to be down for now btw, but it should be back up as soon as they fix whatever is going on with their site)

edit on 23-8-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: correct error.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

I am actually in Brevard County Florida right now. I know of one sheriff's helicopter and no city has their own helo. Because of the Space Wing of the Air Force military style helicopters are very common around here. This is the first I have heard of us buying 8 helos back in 2011. I worked for BC back in 2012.

I will have to check the source here.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Let's get some background information on this program.

The transfer of surplus military equipment to Law Enforcement Agencies (LEA's) were created under the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Years 1990 and 1991. This program is known as the 1033 Program.

When and why was the program created?
Answer: In the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Years 1990 and 1991, Congress authorized the transfer of excess DOD personal property to federal and state agencies for use in counter-drug activities. Congress later passed the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1997; this act allows all law enforcement agencies to acquire property for bona fide law enforcement purposes that assist in their arrest and apprehension mission. Preference is given to counter-drug and counter-terrorism requests.

What controls does the program have?
Answer: For states to participate in the program, they must each set up a business relationship with DLA through a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA). Each participating state’s governor is required to appoint a State Coordinator to ensure the program is used correctly by the participating law enforcement agencies. The State Coordinators are expected to maintain property accountability records and to investigate any alleged misuse of property, and in certain cases, to report violations of the Memorandum of Agreement to DLA. State Coordinators are aggressive in suspending law enforcement agencies who abuse the program.

www.dispositionservices.dla.mil...

Apparently, at least some of the equipment is provided either for free or at a discount, although the LEA's have to pay for shipping and transportation cost.

How does the program work?
Answer: Once law enforcement agencies have been approved to participate in the 1033 Program by the State Coordinator and the Law Enforcement Support Office (LESO), the law enforcement agencies appoint officials to visit their local DLA Disposition Services Site. They will screen property and place requests for specific items by submitting requisitions on the Enterprise Business Portal RTDWeb page. The item must have a justification and be approved by both the State Coordinator and the LESO Staff. Law enforcement agencies that receive approval for property must cover all transportation and/or shipping costs.
What are some ways in which law enforcement agencies use the equipment they acquire?
Answer: Law enforcement agencies use the equipment in a variety of ways. For instance, four-wheel drive vehicles are used to interrupt drug harvesting, haul away marijuana, patrol streets and conduct surveillance. The 1033 Program also helps with the agencies’ general equipment needs, such as file cabinets, copiers, and fax machines that they need but perhaps are unable to afford.

The following is the website's application through which LEA's can acquire this "excess military surplus equipment".

DEFENSE LOGISTICS AGENCY
AMERICA’S COMBAT LOGISTICS SUPPORT AGENCY
WARFIGHTER SUPPORT ENHANCEMENT STEWARDSHIP EXCELLENCE WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT
DLA Customer
Access to RTD Web & ETID

edit on 23-8-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add info.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   
There are even instructions on their main website on how to acquire aircraft.

How do I get my agency an aircraft?
Agencies wishing to request an aircraft must fill out the following aircraft request in its entirety. State agencies must submit this request to their appropriate State Coordinators for approval. Federal agencies must send the request directly to the LESO Aircraft Lead.

Can I receive an aircraft for cannibalization?

Not all aircraft received will be in "flyable" condition. Some aircraft are issued strictly for parts.

Cannibalization may be authorized on a case-by-case basis. Prior to ANY cannibalization, your agency must submit a written request through your State Coordinator and receive approval from LESO Headquarters.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Preference is given to counter-drug and counter-terrorism requests.

Maybe this is one reason for the constant emphasis on the "domestic" terrorist groups and classifications.

Micro-Nitpicking "everybody is a terrorist".

Many have been warning of "over use" and petty abuse.

#Ferguson.Live.Drill.In.Progress

Lots of data and observation material available at the Ferguson.Campaign

Volumes of test information.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Of course, no LEA is equipped to have several military aircraft within their premises, so instead this is the reason why Governor Scott of Florida hired the "NORTH AMERICAN SURVEILLANCE SYSTEMS", an Aircraft modification company made up of military veterans with expertise in of course military aircraft.

"Small businesses are vitally important to DLA and our mission to provide world-class logistics support to warfighters. DLA remains committed to maximizing small business participation opportunities to help ensure a robust Industrial Base that meets the needs of all who serve."- VADM Harnitchek, Director

www.dla.mil...

NORTH AMERICAN SURVEILLANCE SYSTEMS

A Veteran Owned Company

North American Surveillance Systems Inc., NASS, a global leader in airborne systems integration, offers unparalleled quality in the modification of rotary and fixed-wing aircraft.

With the successful completion of integration contracts in more than 22 countries plus specialized work with the United Nations, NASS continues to provide sophisticated solutions for security and surveillance systems, law enforcement organizations, first responders, and military aircraft worldwide.

www.nassusa.net...

(NASS) in turn has chosen Titusville’s Space Coast Regional Airport to expand and consolidate its fixed and rotary-wing aircraft modification business in which the 8 AH-64 will be kept until needed by LEA's in south Florida.

We are pleased that NASS has selected Titusville and North Brevard as the location for its business operations,” said North Brevard Economic Development Zone (NBEDZ) Chairman George Mikitarian. “NASS is representative of the type of high-technology firm targeted through recruitment efforts of the NBEDZ, the EDC, and our many economic development partners in both the county and the City of Titusville as we work together to advance our local economy.”

www.flgov.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Who knows ?
Maybe they need it for marshal law they plant to put forth from the feds

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I think it's sinister, but at the very least it means the county has far to much revenue and doesn't require nearly as much funding from the taxes of it's citizens. It's it's federally funded money paying for these, maybe someone has it in for schools and hospitals? I'm pretty sure that's where community money is supposed to be being spent.

If the county paid for them not with taxes or other up front funding, then they were bought with credit and in a country where finances are tight that seems a bit more than just reckless.

I say decommission them and install them in playground for kids to play on.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Maybe there gonna invade Cuba or use them to attack a hurricane.

I don't see how they could afford to maintain them...

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
Maybe there gonna invade Cuba or use them to attack a hurricane.

I don't see how they could afford to maintain them...

did you not get the memo ? your taxes just went up

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Yep, you are right on that one. BTW, do you even know why this is happening?

I also saw another article that is very relevant to this. It deals with a new bill that was introduced by Rep. Mike Honda, D-San Jose, to ban all civilians from being able to purchase body armor. But, what is more telling about this particular article is how this representative apparently thinks that the U.S. is a "battlefield" in which only LEA and the military should be able to have access to military equipment.

Rep. Mike Honda Introduces Bill Banning Civilians from Buying Body Armor

By Bay City News

Wednesday, Aug 6, 2014 • Updated at 4:50 PM PDT

Rep. Mike Honda, D-San Jose, has announced legislation that would block civilians from accessing military-grade body armor to prevent criminals from using them in gun battles with law enforcement.

Honda, speaking at a news conference in San Jose Wednesday morning with police chiefs and the district attorneys and sheriffs from Santa Clara and Alameda counties, said his proposal would discourage criminals from wearing enhanced body armor to commit mass shootings.

www.nbcbayarea.com...

Now, notice what is the reason he says civilians shouldn't be able to access this type of military equipment.

"This bill will keep military body armor out of the wrong hands," Honda said. "It would ensure that only law enforcement, firefighters and other first responders would be able to access enhanced body armor."

"We're not talking about just a standard bullet-proof vest," he said. "We're talking about body armor that is designed for warfare, designed to protect against law enforcement ammunitions."

www.nbcbayarea.com...

At first it almost sounds benign right? "almost" that is, until you continue to read what this man said.

"We should be asking ourselves, why is this armor available to just anyone, if it was designed to be used only by our soldiers to take to war?" Honda said.

www.nbcbayarea.com...

Actually, the real question is why in the world does this representative seems to see U.S. soil as a warzone?... or that in the U.S. "warzone" only police officers, first responders and the military should be the only ones with access to such military equipment, when our law does not allow for the militarization of the police...

Not to mention that banning such military equipment doesn't mean that criminals won't get their hands on them... They are criminals after all...

edit on 23-8-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Here's your answer and they bought two of them...for mosquito control.

It begins in 2012 with the mosquito-control district under pressure to close deficits between its costs and dedicated property tax levy. A district manager, since replaced, proposed saving about $600,000 a year on staff and maintenance by replacing three older helicopters (one built in 1968) with two new ones.

The Brevard County Citizens Coalition, a conservative group, protested the $6.8 million price in a tough budget year. But commissioners approved it, 3-2.

Then, because helicopters that can lift heavy tanks are specialized equipment, the mosquito district quickly signed a "sole source" contract that allowed it to skip bidding.

"It was like buying a Rolls Royce to go plow a field," coalition member and retired IBM manager Pat Pasley told me. The activists requested records and built a database from three year's worth of helicopter activity logs.

Concerned, Assistant County Manager Mel Scott and Natural Resources Director Ernie Brown, the new mosquito boss, ordered a "forensic" re-examination of every assumption and cost. They explored canceling the sale and sharing with the Sheriff's Office. But the contract contained stiff penalties.

www.floridatoday.com...

Nothing close to being a conspiracy...Sorry.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

Nothing close to being a conspiracy...Sorry.

Since when do LEA's take care of the mosquito population?...

Perhaps they see civilians as "mosquitoes"?...

Not to mention that the military helos that were bought each costs 18,000,000 U.S.D. and they bought 8 of them, not 2...

And again that's not mentioning that under this program you are referring to bought those 2 helos apparently for $6.8 million. Meanwhile we are talking about aircraft that costs 18 million each...and they bought 8... That's $144 million total price tag.

edit on 23-8-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add info

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   

I also saw another article that is very relevant to this. It deals with a new bill that was introduced by Rep. Mike Honda, D-San Jose, to ban all civilians from being able to purchase body armor.

You do understand that would be so that criminals do not have the armor that will be used in the process of a crime...remember this.

Hard to shoot criminals that are shooting at you when they have body armor on.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Read the article, as they aren't for LEA and it explains what they are for.

Not everything a conspiracy, also the fact that BIN has this story just proves the validity of it.

edit on 23-8-2014 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   

You do understand that would be so that criminals do not have the armor that will be used in the process of a crime...remember this.

Hard to shoot criminals that are shooting at you when they have body armor on.

You do understand that the senator referred to U.S. soil as a "war zone"?...

Where have you been, there have been plenty of threads that show that regular Americans have been labeled as "possible extremists/terrorists" simply for wanting the government to protect and defend the U.S. Constitution, or for being critical of Obama's policies, among others.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Read the article, as they aren't for LEA and it explains what they are for.

Not everything a conspiracy, also the fact that BIN has this story just proves the validity of it.

And again you are obviously not understanding that what you presented has NOTHING to do with what is being discussed here... That program you are referring to bought those 2 helos apparently for $6.8 million. Meanwhile we are talking about aircraft that costs 18 million each...and they bought 8... That's $144 million total price tag.

You are showing something that is completely unrelated to what is being discussed.

edit on 23-8-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Perhaps they see civilians as "mosquitoes"?...

Not to mention that the military helos that were bought each costs 18,000,000 U.S.D. and they bought 8 of them, not 2...

No they bought two of them...

Additionally, we put together a cost analysis based on the County’s data that we examined and came to a much different conclusion than the County regarding the cost of two new helicopters. We found that under our computations, made in accordance with the principles of financial analysis, it will cost Brevard County an additional $7 million dollars over the next 12 years to purchase these two new helicopters vs. maintaining the current fleet of three helicopters. Factored into that cost, and absent in the County’s financial estimates was the interest, principle, and depreciation of the two new helicopters over the life of the loan, the assets being purchased and employed, and which considered County management’s estimated changes in maintenance costs.

www.eyeonbrevard.com...

Again doing research helps, as it is easier than you think to find the info if you look in the right places.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

How about you take 5 minutes to read the differences in the article you posted, and the info I posted. They are totally unrelated.

LEA's are Law Enforcement Agencies, they don't take care of the mosquito population. There is a big difference in the price tag of two helos that cost 6.8 million both, and those that cost 18 million each, don't you think?

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   

And again you are obviously not understanding that what you presented has NOTHING to do with what is being discussed here...

Really, how many Brevard counties do you think are in Fla, and how many do you think purchased two helicopters at that same time?

Answer only one.

I understand you are not willing to understand what your talking about is wrong and you were shown the truth, but hey this is your thread and you can bellieve what you want...

Can you show something that is from the county themselves, but here you go another source...

American Eurocopter today announced Brevard County, Florida, has purchased two AS350 B3e helicopters. The aircraft will be utilized for mosquito control, firefighting and herbicide application throughout the county, which is located along Florida’s east coast, replacing an AS350 B3 and two 206Bs currently being used.

“We carefully considered our options before making the purchase,” said Brevard County Mosquito Control Director, Craig Simmons. “Our main focus was searching for a proven aircraft that could carry heavy exterior loads for mosquito control spray applications, while maintaining considerable flight range. The low acquisition and operating costs for the new AS350 B3e, along with the extra payload and safety features of the aircraft, were a perfect fit for our operations.”

helihub.com...

But hey what does the county know right?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join