It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Any landlords here?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:54 AM
a reply to: mwood

I am landlord,

the problem is I would need his side of the story too,

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:29 AM
I haven't noticed anyone point out that those are your family do perhaps a bit more tact than what you find is legal? Or follow what's legal with more tact than you would for a stranger.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:54 AM

Sounds like you're being perfectly reasonable to me , it's your land you have the right to use it as you see fit.
Just because they are relations doesn't mean they shouldn't be on a contract for the place where they live , it gives them rights as well you.

My wife is fed up also and is behind me 100%

That's the most important thing here as they are her family , if she's behind you do what you've got to do.

Hope you get a satisfactory resolution.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:37 AM
Eviction. when they go out, put a big ass pad lock on the gate put all their stuff into storage then change the locks.
Its going to go bad in a big way anyway which ever way you go, take the advantage, remember the golden rule there are no friends in business.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 05:33 AM

Ex landlord here in Yavapai county. No offense to your wife, but the man sounds like white trash.

It's your property, right? There's no lease agreement? If everything you said is true, this is what you need to do. Call the sheriff and get the man charged for trespassing on private property. When the sheriff asks you what took you so long, tell him you were trying to do the wife's parents a favor and they pissed on it for the past few years. Just because you made a bad judgement call a few years ago that doesn't mean that he isn't trespassing by the letter of the law. Quit being nice and take care of business.

If you're in Gila county then you're in a smallish town or in the country. Either way, I don't have tell you that law enforcement out here doesn't suffer pricks like your step dad for very long. Make sure you get to know the local laws, conduct yourself professionally with the right people and don't say anymore than you have to to the dead next door.

Oh, and if you have some spare change lying around, start landscaping. Waste Management in Payson has rolloffs if im not mistaken. Show him what a pick is.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 05:46 AM
I am a landlord here in the UK, cant advise anything as our rules are completely different, however, from experience i can say :-

1. Never Rent to Family
2. Never Rent to Friends
3. Never Rent to people who work for the same organisation (I work full time, the landlord side of things is a hobby)

For what ever reason, and it appears to be a global rather than local issue, they will always try to take advantage.

Good luck

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 07:40 AM
Boot them out. As far as I know, squatter's rights will only apply if they are living on the property without permission and there's obviously a paper trail of payments to you for rent.

As for the empty lot, nip that in the bud as fast as you can, with a court order if need be.

Good luck!

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:52 AM
You shoulda done this a lot sooner!

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:06 AM

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
I haven't noticed anyone point out that those are your family do perhaps a bit more tact than what you find is legal? Or follow what's legal with more tact than you would for a stranger.

Nope. They obviously haven't shown any respect so don't deserve any in return.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:38 AM

originally posted by: loam

What state do you live in? The law in that state determines a great deal of your options.

Generally, if you have tenants without a lease, the state assumes a standard month to month agreement. In most jurisdictions you could force an eviction in about a 30 day timeframe.

True but until it gets through the courts.........could take months. Good luck!

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 10:31 AM
I wouldn`t worry about the shed and the apple trees until you are ready to do something with the empty lot.What harm are they doing by putting a shed and apple trees on the empty lot?
I would let them know though that you have plans for that lot and when you put the plans into action the shed and trees will have to go.

It sounds like the father in law doesn`t have a grasp on reality so trying to reason with him will always be a waste of time.I think you will always have trouble with them as long as they are living there so it`s best to get them out of there now rather than later.

edit on 23-8-2014 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:16 PM

Too bad you aren't in Ohio. Without a lease agreement, they have 72 hour evictions...

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:41 PM
You have every right to throw them off the property. It is your land and they over stepped their bounds. Good luck.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:23 PM

Just a few things here.

I believe in absence of a signed lease (and too I think you need permission to lease it out with a Certificate of Occupancy) from your local government....with no lease, its considered a month to month lease ie: 30 days, then another 30 days, then another 30 get the idea.

I suppose you could require a signed lease now for a year and request a 1st and last months rent and also a security deposit. The gov will back you up on that. As long as you can legally rent the place out (with a Certificate of Occupancy). Those are required for most rentals.

Tell them its the city wanting the occupancy certificate and signed lease as the reason.....(not you).

They should not be mad at the 1st & last & security deposit...and to sign a lease. Veteran or not....Go to an attorney.

edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:44 PM

Just out of curiosity, have you tried sitting down with your in-laws and voicing your concerns regarding the situation? It seems to me that before you go handing them a bunch of legalese paper-work to sign, trying to resolve this in an informal (yet amiable) fashion might be in everyone's best interest. How does your wife feel about what has been transpiring? Shouldn't she speak with her mother and lay down the law? I know family relations can be diverse and difficult things, and none if this is really my business...

Good Luck!

edit on 8232014 by seattlerat because: i have trouble spilling

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 06:17 PM
Yes, many times we both have tried to talk to them and explain the situation. It get's nowhere.
They are set in their ways and don't want to acknowledge that they are doing anything wrong or are willing to even listen to reason.

I have been MORE than fair to them as when they moved here from out of state they had little money and they got free rent for a year till they were situated and found a job (he's on disability, mental issues).
After the year I only charge them $300 a month rent when I could be renting the house for $750 to anyone else easily.

Was going to confront today and ask for the signed lease agreement or give them 90 days to find another house if they refused. Seems they left for the weekend so it will have to wait till Monday. They go to Nogales, Az. about once a month for a weekend and didn't know they were going this weekend or would have talked to them Friday.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:30 PM
You're definitely not being a prick OP, renting to family is never a good idea. Veteran or not, there's a difference between being nice and being taken advantage of. I'm going through a similar situation here at home after my lady decided that her mom needed to live in one of our apartments - its costing us roughly a grand a month because of her mistake.

Talk to your tenant and get the eviction process going soon or you'll be stuck in a hole.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 10:36 PM

Here's what I would do in that kind of a situation:
1. Before even having the paperwork, sit them down, and talk to them about why you are starting to create the lease. Make sure you and the wife talk about it beforehand, so that you both can affirm why; last thing you want is to already be divided when talking to them.

2. Be civil (IE: No name calling). If they say something offensive, try to use their words against them:

For example:
They: "I refuse to let some prick control my life; I'm a vet, and I control my life"
You: "While I commend you for your service in the war, remember, this prick is the one letting you live there. You always have the right to move out, and explore other properties more suitable to your lifestyle".

3. Write up the lease, and tell them in some form (email, call, text) that they have X number of days to sign it; if they don't, then it'll be up to you how you want to handle the situation. Remember, if you don't act on it, they will keep doing stuff because they know you won't do anything.

Personally, I'd remind them that this prick (me, in this case) owns the deed to the property, and that I have the final say over what goes on. I'd also leave an anonymous bumpersticker on their door while they are away, reminding them to "be nice to your (their) kids, because your (their) kids will choose their nursing home".

I highly advise you to not do as I do, as there are some bridges that you don't want to burn. If you kick them out, there's a good chance your in-laws will stop talking to your wife altogether; My Grampa died with a grudge, and it left a hole in my parent's heart because he refused to talk to either of them.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 12:15 AM
a reply to: fossilera

I am trying to go about this so it doesn't create an issue for my wife and her mother. The lady had 2 kids, my wife and a son. Her son died a few years ago by wrecking his motorcycle he was about 35. They had a crappy relationship and never spoke so when he died it hit her hard.

I don't want to create a rift between her and her daughter (my wife).

On the other hand I am NOT willing to give up rights on the property I am paying for and living on because they can't follow simple guide lines and show some respect. It's to the point I would rather be at work and dont even like coming home. They have me disliking my own home and it's affecting my health with the stress and all. On 2 kinds of blood pressure medications now that I didn't need

I think I stated earlier they had a very loud party last weekend down there and had a live band outside. The mother in law stopped by my wifes work yesterday morning and stated "You might want to tell your husband he may want to go into town and stay the night at his mothers because they will be partying again Sat. night with the band."

So it's to the point that if I don't like it I have to leave my house and stay somewhere else when they do what they want to do......

In my opinion, The lady has the biggest balls I have ever seen on a person to even suggest that.
edit on 24-8-2014 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 12:23 AM

I know, and I'm not trying to be harsh about it - Just make sure you have clearly let them know which route you will be taking, and don't surprise them; make sure they are clearly aware of why you are doing it, and what steps they will have to take. Doing so now will create less of a mess later.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>