It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West poised to join forces with Assad in face of Islamic State

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Like Saddam Hussein, he used poison gas against his own people. His brutal repression of dissent ignited a civil war in which 190,000 people have died. The UK and the US have called for his overthrow. But now, despite official denials, there is mounting evidence that a shocking U-turn may be imminent.

West poised to join forces with Assad in face of Islamic State

The rise of the lslamic State goes back many years, to the Bush administration's redirection to form a greater Middle East, and contend with the growing influence of lran, and in preparation for war with Tehran.

For a brief history of the rise of the Islamic State the article sourced below gives a description of the Bush administration's foreign policy, and it's redirection approach to control and use the Sunni, .Shiite rivalry to ignite and engulf the entire Middle East in civil war and chaos. All to undermine Iran and it's counterparts in the region.

www.newyorker.com...
In the past few months, as the situation in Iraq has deteriorated, the Bush Administration, in both its public diplomacy and its covert operations, has significantly shifted its Middle East strategy. The “redirection,” as some inside the White House have called the new strategy, has brought the United States closer to an open confrontation with Iran and, in parts of the region, propelled it into a widening sectarian conflict between Shiite and Sunni Muslims

edit on 22-8-2014 by Daedal because: edit

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedal
And I thought Assad was the good guy.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

It's pretty despicable all round really.
Wars started with a view to more war. It's getting harder and harder to determine what's actually going on in the middle east nowadays.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: EA006
If he is so terrible why did his Country Vote him back in recently? You won't hear that from Wolf Blitzer.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Guess he accepted the terms of the global bankers and their central banking system. After all, he's an educated guy and understands what happens when they get denied.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
This must mean the U.S. will join "like-mindedness" with Iran too.

My, things change so fast !!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

edit on 22-8-2014 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

Re-read my post I didn't mention Assad.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Good news. The west might actually be breaking away from its prejudices. Assad is reliable and never been a threat to western powers. His father had a war with Israel many years ago. They do dominate Lebanon and have militia's who are pro syrian such as Hezbollah. Bathists have secular government. They don't do democracy but have violent strong leaders. (Arabs seem to like violent strong leaders)

Removing Saddam Hussein was never in the west's interest. It was done to please Bush's friends in Saudi Arabia.

Removing Qaddafi from Libya was not in the West's interests but satisfied the prejudices of the UK and French governments. Libya is not much better than Iraq in terms of peace and stability.

If we did not moralise so much in international relations we would understand who are friend are and who we can rely on. We can rely on Bashir-Al-Assad to fight IS in Syria.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: EA006
I apologize, I'm confused.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
It seems to me that the ME is far more stable with dictators than democracy. But instead of accepting that, the West continually tries to subvert their power structures in pursuit of profits and any leader that objects is subject to removal by force. The vacuum that's left gives rise to groups like ISIS/ISIL/IS.

If Assad can take on ISIS and be rehabilitated as a regional leader - is Syria better off? Is the U.S.? IMHO - yes.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The Bush doctrine has been the premise of Obama's foreign policy directives. The continued drone campaign and hostilties against sovereign nations has been left unchecked.

The continued aggressive postures against nations loyal to lran has gained momentum, as played out in the previous administrations advancements to engage Iran and subdue it's allies.

IMO president Obama has been caught off guard, listening to the war hawks that still hold seats in our nation's governmental positions from the previous administration, that set lines being drawn now for engagement.

Egypt, Libya and Syria, amongst other nations embroiled in chaos, are the doing of Dick Cheney and company, and carried on through the Obama administrations ignorance and reliance upon policy set out by the neocons, too destroy and control oil and gas nations, along with strategic canals and water ports.

Imo, President Obama has only come to this realization. Assad, along with other nations toppled during the Arab Spring were sovereign and independent countries. Far less brutal then what we see now, by far. Hopefully the hawks won't push us the the precipice and brink of all out world war.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
And I thought Assad was the good guy.

This month or next??? I know he was good before, but I thought he was the bad guy... Until last month....or so.........so we are NOT supporting ISIS in Syria or was it Iraq

Jesss I need a brewski to keep uppp with all this shiiiite

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
This is really getting retarted, so mccain went to syria and help fund this ISIS group againts the evil assad, now these clowns(isis), use said help to try topple assad but turn the guns around and attack the iraqi army that the us trained.

Now the usa is thinking of helping assad in fighting these said clowns who where used by the usa.

Am i alone here in thinking wtf is going on here.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Shiites, Sunnis - they both hate us enough already. The more we get involved in their regional civil war the greater the chance they will lash out at America here at home.

But if we don't keep ISIS in check they will keep killing innocents.

No good choices here.

edit on 22-8-2014 by captainmjp because: spelling

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Video

Dr Bouthaina Shaaban, adviser to Syrian Presidency tells Channel 4 News that western reactions to Isis "are coming too little too late." "The whole world should be against Isis," she says.

Posted August 22, 2014 www.informationclearinghouse.info...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack
I agree...If Assad can be so call rehabilitated, the aggressiveness towards other regional nations toppled by the Arab Spring may begin to abate.

But the question remains, is it too late?

The redirection has been recoined as the Asian Pivot, lmo. If we can join forces with Assad and assist in eradicating or dismantle Isis, regional stability may develop.

But many things hinge on the pivot such as the Trans Pacific Partnership, and other trade development agreements. Grinding and turning the wheels against the tide may have unforeseen consequences, however the case may be, war seems inevitable.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedal
a reply to: kosmicjack
I agree...If Assad can be so call rehabilitated, the aggressiveness towards other regional nations toppled by the Arab Spring may begin to abate.

But the question remains, is it too late?

The redirection has been recoined as the Asian Pivot, lmo. If we can join forces with Assad and assist in eradicating or dismantle Isis, regional stability may develop.

But many things hinge on the pivot such as the Trans Pacific Partnership, and other trade development agreements. Grinding and turning the wheels against the tide may have unforeseen consequences, however the case may be, war seems inevitable.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Well, this is reassuring.

I find it quite amusing that the West may have to turn around and enter into a mutual relationship with Assad, only after publicly deriding him and accusing him a ruthless dictator, hell bent on murdering his citizens. Funny that, considering his citizens have always experienced a level of security unmatched in other areas of the Middle-East. Hell, minorities were allowed to live in peace, contrary to pretty much every Western media report over the last three years....

I have expected the West to pursue a mutual relationship with Assad for some time now. The moderate rebels are severely weakened, and no amount of support is going to change the tide of war in their favour. It's about time that the West looks to establish a treaty between what's left of the moderate rebels, and the Assad government. A coalition of the Iraqi government, Syrian government, Kurdish Regional Government, Syrian rebels, and other militias in the region, could show promise in bringing down ISIS.

Just one thing. Assad should keep an eye over his shoulders if this partnership does come into fruition.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
It seems to me that the ME is far more stable with dictators than democracy. But instead of accepting that, the West continually tries to subvert their power structures in pursuit of profits and any leader that objects is subject to removal by force. The vacuum that's left gives rise to groups like ISIS/ISIL/IS.

If Assad can take on ISIS and be rehabilitated as a regional leader - is Syria better off? Is the U.S.? IMHO - yes.
I really think you're missing the point. ISIL?ISIS? is meant to accomplish a few goals on behalf of the west and Israel. Instead of having a multitude of puppet dictators to deal with, some who venture too far off the reservation for their liking, they'll just be one. That's the purpose of this caliphate. To provide one entity to deal with that is, at this point in time, malleable by western influence. However, like everything else, they have miscalculated and have taken the short term approach. This too will backfire and may already have.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join