It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GPS Discovers the West Is So Dry, It's Rising

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Perhaps another explanation is the same thing that's causing Ontario to be rising, glacial rebounding. ?

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: crankyoldman
Humans are now responsible for the rise in a mountain range? Seriously? What the hell is going on when a human can be responsible for the rise of something like a mountain range, the RISE, not the fall, but the RISE. Honestly, the end cannot come soon enough, the inmates run the asylum.

Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
has nothing to do with extra volume. the waster causes extra weight. a sponge is heavier when wet too right? the earth's surface is like a mattress put something heavy on it and it dips down. just like a heavy mountain except it's connected to the crust not sitting on top of it.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Simple erosion can also uplift mountains. As the mtn erodes, the weight is reduced allowing more raising.. this is a common and long known geologic effect.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: meemaw
Perhaps another explanation is the same thing that's causing Ontario to be rising, glacial rebounding. ?

Yes, I believe it's very similar and was actually going to plunk down a link about glacial rebound as being the ice variant. Basically, if Anarctica were to lose its ice, the land would uplift through isostatic rebound.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

With the exception of a couple of notable glaciers the west, let alone the rockies, were not covered by glaciers during the last encroachment.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677
a reply to: WhiteAlice

With the exception of a couple of notable glaciers the west, let alone the rockies, were not covered by glaciers during the last encroachment.

Yes, I'm aware of that. The Rockies seemed to act as a geographic shield against incursions of cold air back then. That's not only clear based on the geological data (particularly glacial deposits) but also from vegetation maps (steppe west of the rockies, taiga east) from the last ice age. However, glaciers and glacial deposits did occur in areas through Washington and Oregon based on glacial deposits left behind and those rounded valleys.

As a final however, did I say anywhere that glaciers were at work in California? No? No. My statement was in response to another asking if it was potentially a similar process to glacial isostatic rebound and saying it's possible. You kind of made a strawman there though I doubt that was your intention.

Have a good one.
edit on 24/8/14 by WhiteAlice because: added vegetation difference info

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Was looking at other stuff and found this:

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join