It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Skipping church.. What you may be missing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:36 PM
Recently in a thread here about how om binds our dna it opened up a train of thought for me that led me to want to share with you what we could be missing by not going to church. Aside from the sermon that time to time we need but can often find for ourselves there is a very important aspect of the service that we need.

It is the power of song. I submit to you that the older hymns were written in a way that projects well being into our souls via sound waves set up in a special manner that has ben hidden. Do i have proof? Only in my heart. However i felt that since the majority of real folks have been forced from the church by various means i thought it may be important to remind all that not only did you leave what you would call bs behind that maybe you also left a very important jewel among the piles. I have the feeling the oldies are the ones that count.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:18 PM
I won't argue that music uplifts your soul and makes you feel better, energized for the week ahead.

However, the last time I went to church, they passed the plate first, sang nine songs, Pastor told three jokes, and pulled only one verse from the whole Bible. I was not impressed. He wasn't teaching and passing the tithe plate before he spoke one word from the Bible, very full of himself.

I'm Christian, but I learned nothing that day but not to return to that church.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:40 PM
a reply to: deadeyedick

The songs are what I miss mostly about church. They were well written and uplifting.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:50 PM
I can't stand the old hymns. They bring up bad memories of abuse while they were being played in the background. I associate them with evil.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:52 PM
It is not hard to imagine that there was a purpose for gathering besides politics and donating. I can see how getting relief for ones soul through song prayer and worship has been hijacked by man. My point is that maybe we could find the roots of gathering again and make it about that. Not about the building but the sound of the ones gathered. Something tells me that no matter who you are part of you wants to hear those sweet sounds coming from your heart again. The good news is that all it takes is the will to begin singing. I think the biggest misconception that most of us have very much including myself is that my sound stinks and no one would want to hear it. That is just thoughts coming from the one that wants you to fail at everything. No fonder memories come to mind than that of being a child and hearing those melodies being hummed unknowingly by elders.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:53 PM
The first church I ever set foot in as an adult was the original Vineyard in Anaheim CA.

I remember walking in late while the worship music was going on and the presence of God was so powerful that all I could do is weep and tears poured down my face.

Music can create an atmosphere that can change things...

Years ago I heard Norvel Hayes say something that I've never forgotten:

"...the Spirit of the Lord spoke to me and said this: "I work through atmospheres..."

This is good example of the type of music I'm talking about, it flows and has no beat to it:

edit on 22-8-2014 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:58 PM
a reply to: calstorm Well there are efforts being made to recreate the process in different forms now. Same results but different music.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:00 PM
a reply to: calstorm

Cal, I don't see a 'hug' smily emo but if there were one I would sure send you a bunch of them.

This is why I hate religion so much.

I think God probably hates it as well...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:25 PM
I have a strong feeling that along with sound we will find that certain diets will also aid in the search for spiritual peace. Perhaps some unknown foods also aid in longevity. This may be found in other rituals of the church. maybe hidden in some mundane holiday or forgotten feast.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:41 PM
a reply to: calstorm

calstorm, your experience reminded me of something that happened to Dottie Rambo years ago.

She was sitting on a stage where she was just about to get up and sing at a venue in TN:

She was really disgusted with the way things were and she says this to God:

"God I'm too tired to sing, sometimes I wonder Lord if people care and I just wonder God if you even care. Lord I don't want to sing, I want to go home and go to bed and do you even care Lord?"

All of a sudden what appears to be a small child walks up to her and climbs up in her lap and tells her:

"OH, Jesus said for me to come tell you that HE loves you, that He's aware of you, that He knows you're weary."

In the below video she talks about some of her experiences @3:40 min:

She had a room in her home that she called the 'Angel room' and some who visited her home would tell her that they saw Angels holding trays that had musical notes on them.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:13 PM
Church hymns are structured to do almost the same thing as meditation. It works so well that I dozed off during the sermon when I would go. Oh that isn't related....darn lost an excuse.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:19 PM
This is just a guess, but I think we connect with music emotionally because we search our spirit for that intuitive / spiritual insight while hearing unfamilar sounds. It is then a spiritual / will connection we make with whatever we attribute to the source of the "feels".

Listen to the following song: At first it gave me an unnerving feeling until I heard the "aahh" sound which I intrepreted as stress releaving and relaxing. From there, I was able to make a spiritual connection and feel the spirit within the music, which became joyful / peaceful / inviting.

And the sounds he was making are not words that describe matter, but are more a long the lines of tones that describe "emotions" - in the same way that inflection or tone can add emotional expression to speech.

I think hymns can be effective at drawing you closer to God by causing you to attach the emotions felt, while hearing/singing them, to God, but no word, such as Om, would actually have power more so than any other word. What would have, and be the cause of, said power would be completely reliant on the spirit you manifest when uttering the word(s)/sound(s). So I'm sure Om is no better or worse than Be or Gogo gadget helicopter hat, and it is instead the spirit bywhich the sound is manifest, which makes the difference.

What does the spirit of creation / manifestation sound like? Probably whatever the soul wants to see / hear / image it as.

Just a guess.
edit on 8/22/2014 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:30 PM

My first post was not aimed at you OP,, you just jogged a memory.

I found a better community and this song played in chapel every Friday. It brought peace to me, allayed my stress/worries for a while. I love this song.

Taize - Oh Lord Hear My Prayer

Blessings everyone.

edit - S & F
edit on 22-8-2014 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:51 PM
Daphne, that music was awesome, thanks...

Whitney Houston singing 'Amazing Grace' in South Africa:

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:57 PM
David Crowder singing 6 hymns live at the Varsity theater in Minneapolis:

edit on 22-8-2014 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:01 PM
Music has such wonderful power on the human psyche. Despite not being religious, I find something truly uplifting in gospel music, as well as forms more familiar to me such as trance and bluegrass.

We have a weekly bluegrass jam in our town, at the local pub, and we joke about it being "church" for this reason.

I spent many years going to raves (early years) and always felt there was a huge connection with the divine in the music and philosophy. Of course, people wacked out on drugs can often miss the point but I knew masses of chemical free people who went for the uplifting effects of long hours of dance and meditative moods brought on by the music. The event names were often of a spiritual nature too.

I suspect something pretty fundamental is being tickled by spiritual music of all genres and would love to see science explore this more.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 06:01 AM
Very appropriate for the Christians on this site that dont support the church system.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 07:28 AM
Don't confuse emotions caused by a song with the presence of God.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:19 AM
I certainly hope you're not comparing those boring old dirges to Om.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:36 AM

That's funny you would post this. I went to a church up the road one time and thought it was Ok as far as the sermon went, but all they played was that modern music and I just can't stand it. I found out then that I much prefer the old hymns. I never really thought about why but your theory makes sense.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>