It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RPMS Spike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I'm not sure exactly where to put this, so I assumed this would be at least a close place. My apologies.

I have a 2014 Ford Focus Sedan, 204 miles. Today, 2 times, and once last week; while driving my RPMS just start really quickly spiking and then the car jerks really hard. It's done it two times coming out of cruise control and once just regular driving. Could someone tell me what is up? Is there an issue or is this something I shouldn't be too worried about? I'm at a loss here. This is my first brand new vehicle and my second vehicle (my first was a 1997 Dodge Ram that I traded for this car) total. Is there something I could perhaps doing incorrectly? This car doesn't have the button to change gears or anything, although it does have this button for hills.

Thank you.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: wwe9112

Just guessing, but it sounds like the transmission is slipping.

Being it is brand new, take it back to the dealership! Your covered under warranty.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
If I had to guess I would say it's your transmission/torque converter slipping.
transmissions use different sets of clutches to engage certain gears
torque converter is how "lockup" works (typically above 45mph)

clutches:
en.wikipedia.org...

torque converter:
ecomodder.com...

it could also be caused by low transmission fluid. . If it's not a sealed unit you can check the fluid. . . check it with the vehicle running as the transmission pump must be moving in order to fill the torque converter to get an accurate reading on the dipstick

anyone feel free to correct me if any info is wrong
edit on 22-8-2014 by lurker007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I had this with my Hyundai, and it was also a speed sensor that was bad. I don't know if Fords work the same way.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
My wife has the Mercury Milan. I believe they have close to the same transmission, she has had problems with hers in the past doing the same thing. Take it back to the dealership and they will adjust some settings. She had hers in 3 times till they got it right.

Good luck
JT

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It being a 2014 vehicle, I'm not sure if this even applies anymore but, I had a car way back (a late 80's or early 90's model) that would do something similar to what you describe.

It was a Throttle Position Sensor - cost twenty something dollars.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: wwe9112

These guys could be right about it being the transmission. But I'm leaning towards a faulty throttle control sensor.
TPS Throttle position sensor.. The one that reads throttle input from the gas peddle.......
Do you have any new lights that have lit up recently on the inside front dashboard!
You know, by the steering wheel?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
it seems this problem started in 2012. . . This link may not be relevant but it's regarding this model and similar scenarios

local pittsburgh news link from feb 2014:
link

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Be very careful. The dealership my mom had kept rescheduling her until she was out of warranty. She had to provide phone records that they were calling her to cancel. Get it in quick.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I just fixed my brothers Toyota 4Runner when it was doing the same thing. The solenoid on the transmission for the overdrive was bad and kept kicking in and out of overdrive. when it shifts out of overdrive back to 4th gear the RPM rises quite a bit and them when it shifts back to overdrive it drops again. So it would jump up and down, up and down.

Don't know if that's your issue or not as it could be a few different things but that's what his problem was.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
So I guess according to them it's supposed to do that. It's a DCT AUTO. I guess they are jerky and slip in stop and go traffic or whatever? This is odd :-/

top topics

join