It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Crazy Plan for a Mars Colony... but a return ticket is not part of the deal.

page: 1

join
share:
JAK

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Ok ATS'ers, I hope you're well today. I thought it might be interesting to get opinions on this matter.

Ultimate Reality TV: A Crazy Plan for a Mars Colony

I've spoken about this to various people, not this show particularly but the idea that has been bandied about that for a few reasons a trip to Mars should be undertaken with the idea of being one way. One point was that it is a necessary statement of intent considering the practicalities. For me the thrill of exploration echoes all who have at one point wondered what lies over the hill or across the waters. It is human nature to wonder, to wander and explore.

It is though unarguably ripe for argument. What say you though: Is it unethical, even if voluntary? Should any manned exploration of Mars be delayed until we have a way to return? Or is it a repetition, simply an acceptable modern incarnation of the bold steps of exploration which eternally beckon to mankind? (Didn't the Vikings leave to explore accepting that it was to be a one way trip?)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JAK

I think it would be alright to send someone who fully volunteers, knowing that they will not return to earth. If it were me, I would hope they would let me broadcast my findings there, back to my home world! It would be great to show some of the oddities that we see in some of the photos taken by the rover, That they are indeed what we thought!! I would hold up the Bone, The bottle cap, the statue head, etc....

Awesome indeed!!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I have been keeping an eye on the project since learning about it a while back.
I had pondered applying but thought against it because i don't think they have need for a broken down trigger puller.
The reality show part would certainly raise the funds to go there but what if something happens, What if we all watch as the colony slowly dies and there is nothing anyone can do to help them? No thanks, i wouldn't want to watch that show.
Waiting for a way to return would be ideal but i guess it all depends on how badly those who are going want to leave Earth behind

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

Hmmm, I hear ya there. Good Point!

I like yer avatar though!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I applied a long time ago hoping I could make it but only made top 3000. Still wish I could go be an Explorer to somewhere new I so would sneak some special seeds with me and I would be good

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I actually considered applying for this myself, in spite of the one-way ticket. I probably would have been an ideal candidate, too; not that many connections here on earth, a drive to explore, and the simple fact that I have never looked back save for twice in my lived life all lend credibility to the claim.

What made me not sign up for it was this: It would be hard on my brother, sisters, and parents, because they would only see it as I basically signed up to die, or by the time I would even be able to get back, there wouldn't be much time left.

In regards to the ethics of sending someone on a death wish - if the person is not being forced in any manner, and they feel it is the right choice for them, then I see this as no different than a person willingly giving up their life to give someone a much-needed organ. The only difference is that one is dying to save someone, and the other is dying for science.

-fossilera

JAK

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I'm inclined to agree SyxPak in that if people are mentally healthy volunteers (particularly bearing in mind the line "We aren't sending anyone up there who doesn't like the Earth,") I can't really find much of an argument against the actual mission. Again though, the central point is of course that these people are happy to volunteer for the right reasons.

While I'm... ok might be more appropriate than saying I'm happy with the idea - there is something which I cannot put my finger on that does leave me feeling a little uncomfortable - the notion of a TV show does raise certain questions which, as EyesOpenMouthShut alludes to, will need the most careful of handling. It might be a somewhat novel idea of generating funding but I'd be concerned that undertaking such a mission with so public a face might, should the worst occur, be very detrimental for the future of space exploration for some time afterwards. Perhaps even destroying the notion completely for a generation or two.

fossilera, I don't think it's difficult to understand your first point. Love, beautiful blessing that it is, does bind and while one may be happy to run headlong, "Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here." such concerns, perhaps even appearing to exist only as secondary considerations initially, are going to be hugely influential for anyone giving such a attractive adventure the full consideration it deserves. As to sending anyone with a death wish, even granting that such terminology might be slightly misleading, I would disagree. I think the underlying motivation must be healthy one. It's hard to imagine what effect such an adventure may have on the individual and I think on the most simplistic level a healthy mind is better placed to adapt to and manage the broadest spectrum of potential consequences. It's not so much a disagreement that an individual should not have the right to do as they wish, more a concern focused on the success of an already precarious mission.

My thanks to all for offering up your thoughts.

edit on 23/8/14 by JAK because: ETA: Applause for the spirit of those who mentioned they toyed with the idea of signing up for this venture. It's bold as humans are wont to be. There may be sillyness between us at times but I do so love this species.

new topics

top topics

join