It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Phone Video Emerges That Refutes St. Louis Cops Version of Shooting

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: JamesCookieIII

"Powell, who had his hands at his sides, never came within more than 10-15 feet of the officers before they opened fire killing him."

This is a textbook example of why I think we oughta defund the military-industrial complex.
Opinions on the situation, and the implications of this new video?

EDIT: thanks Mods for moving to the right forum

Why is shooting the only solution when these pigs are confronted by knives and such ..?
UK cops use batons ..and they're doing just fine ..nobody dies ..
US pigs need to be disarmed .. and given night sticks ...to prove how 'tough' they really are ..
They're going around acting all macho and such, threatening and killing innocents everyday .. this is the # 1 reason why American citizens need to remain armed !! .. shoot the damn pigs if they are threatening your lives or your family's lives! ..then they will understand the people will not take their crap any more ..

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

In a situation like that the police are not there to defend they are there to stop the threat.

That certainly is your assessment and I'll respect that.

The only threat I saw was the perpetrator coming towards them. They felt threatened and they dealt lethal force. I'm sure that's justifiable by law, however it doesn't make it the right thing to do. Non lethal force could have been used to disarm and subdue Mr. Powell, or do they not teach that course in hand to hand combat anymore?

I don't see what is so difficult about you admitting that the force used was excessive to the situation, or at least that there was another avenue that the officers could have taken.

Now if you were to say that the officers were afraid that the bystanders would get involved, I can understand you agreeing that the force was appropriate; however you have not stated this. I just think that Mr. Powell deserved to be tried by a judge instead of executed in the street.

edit on 22-8-2014 by kelbtalfenek because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

I agree that the force was excessive. What is wrong with stomach shots?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow
a reply to: MentorsRiddle

I bet he wouldn't have been able to continue his forward momentum with an eye full of pepper spray and a few tazer zaps. not to mention he was outnumbered.

You can watch the whole video, or skip to 2:10 to see the relevant section. A fully sane, non-aggravated individual pushes through a taser not once, but twice. The first shot one prong gets caught on his pants and doesn't make good contact. Second time he takes both prongs to the torso and still 'continues his forward momentum'.
And another example:

This time the man actually turns and forms a fully intelligible sentence, during a 'taser zap' as you put it.

One more for good measure...this is a story where the man was tasered four times, with no result.

edit on 8/22/2014 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/22/2014 by ChaosComplex because: I kant spel

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Yes they should have pepper sprayed him and tazed him first

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaosComplex
Two cops in the incident in the OP. One tazes, other waits. If the guy were to continue forward momentum while being tazed (which a rare feat, some have a higher pain tolerance than others; scientific fact..) the other cop could hit him with a right hook.

I did appreciate watching those videos. It shows how tasers are not perfect, but similarly neither are guns/ammo. What happens if a cop goes to shoot and the gun jams? Or a defective round does not fire.. etc..
There are many instances that prove to us that things aren't perfect, but that does not mean to throw away the non-lethal weapons and just start shooting people.. Cops have multiple weapons to choose from. Especially if the cops outnumber the suspects

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I only briefly watched the video but from that preliminary viewing it seemed to me that the guy walked towards the cops pretty quickly, but then he backed up, and started going around them. If they were going to shoot him for "walking aggressively" then they should have done it the first time he rolled up on them...Because that is when he was coming aggressively. The second time he moved in their direction he had moved to the side a little bit, and it seemed to me he was just trying to walk away. I couldn't see where the other cop was located, but wasn't he by the vehicle as well? Unless he was up there in the grass then the guy was not even moving towards the cops.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trappenin
a reply to: ChaosComplex
Two cops in the incident in the OP. One tazes, other waits. If the guy were to continue forward momentum while being tazed (which a rare feat, some have a higher pain tolerance than others; scientific fact..) the other cop could hit him with a right hook.

I did appreciate watching those videos. It shows how tasers are not perfect, but similarly neither are guns/ammo. What happens if a cop goes to shoot and the gun jams? Or a defective round does not fire.. etc..
There are many instances that prove to us that things aren't perfect, but that does not mean to throw away the non-lethal weapons and just start shooting people.. Cops have multiple weapons to choose from. Especially if the cops outnumber the suspects

The whole resisting a taser isn't as much a tolerance for pain as it is physiology of your body, and to a certain extent you can train your body to resist the effects of the shock. Sounds insane, but let's just say my group of friends has an interesting thought process and a slightly different way to pass time than most. I haven't been able to stand through a taser shot, but a few of my friends have gone from urinating themselves and flopping like a fish when shot to fully resisting the strike. I refuse to believe that there aren't more people out there conducting similar experiments, and some people are just unaffected by it altogether.

I feel like that paragraph alone probably just got me on any watch list I'm not already a part of...Oh well

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: junglimogli

originally posted by: JamesCookieIII

"Powell, who had his hands at his sides, never came within more than 10-15 feet of the officers before they opened fire killing him."

This is a textbook example of why I think we oughta defund the military-industrial complex.
Opinions on the situation, and the implications of this new video?

EDIT: thanks Mods for moving to the right forum

Why is shooting the only solution when these pigs are confronted by knives and such ..?
UK cops use batons ..and they're doing just fine ..nobody dies ..
US pigs need to be disarmed .. and given night sticks ...to prove how 'tough' they really are ..
They're going around acting all macho and such, threatening and killing innocents everyday .. this is the # 1 reason why American citizens need to remain armed !! .. shoot the damn pigs if they are threatening your lives or your family's lives! ..then they will understand the people will not take their crap any more ..

have you ever been confronted with a knife or any other kind of weapon?

That guy didn't look "innocent" to me ...

I think its really simple ... when a cop tells you to stop .. you stop.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
umm, surely I cant be the only one here who's bull# meter just went off when they watched this

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Police have a responsibility to try non lethal means. Ive been in numerous street fights in similar circumstances. The crack wars in DC during the nineties were filled with violence being the norm.

What I'm saying is if there were three of us and some big dude carrying a knife tried to rush us, he would have had his ass kicked. I've witnessed a violent man just like this being disarmed of a knife.

One of my friends actually just grabbed it out of his hand. There were three of us and three of them. The guy with the knife was cut with his own knife. Nobody died.

The cops showed up. Everybody was shoved up against walls. No guns were drawn. The cops were more confident. More experienced with violence. Those fking cops just started shooting.

Its like they don't know how to deal with their job. That dude did not have to be killed.
a reply to: JamesCookieIII

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: PLAYERONE01
umm, surely I cant be the only one here who's bull# meter just went off when they watched this
No you are not the only one.
But strangely, I also get a similar feeling when watching some of the videos on WW1 and WW2 on the tube

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trappenin
What happens if a cop goes to shoot and the gun jams? Or a defective round does not fire.. etc..

If the gun jams, the cop will surely find him/herself saying "Damn, why aren't I carrying a Glock?".

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This is whats leading to the deaths of so many civilians:

“[I]f the individual is no longer to be sovereign, if the police can pick him up whenever they do not like the cut of his jib, if they can ‘seize’ and ‘search’ him in their discretion, we enter a new regime. The decision to enter it should be made only after a full debate by the people of this country.”—U.S. Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

The U.S. Supreme Court was intended to be an institution established to intervene and protect the people against the government and its agents when they overstep their bounds. Yet as I point out in my book A Government of Wolves: The Emerging American Police State, Americans can no longer rely on the courts to mete out justice. In the police state being erected around us, the police and other government agents can probe, poke, pinch, taser, search, seize, strip and generally manhandle anyone they see fit in almost any circumstance, all with the general blessing of the courts.

Whether it’s police officers breaking through people’s front doors and shooting them dead in their homes or strip searching innocent motorists on the side of the road, these instances of abuse are continually validated by a judicial system that kowtows to virtually every police demand, no matter how unjust, no matter how in opposition to the Constitution.

T he U.S. Supreme Court Is Marching in Lockstep with the Police State

Here is a list of recent supreme court decisions that have taken us to where were at. These are not all of the decisions but many of them.

This link would make a great thread.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: mcChoodles
Police have a responsibility to try non lethal means. Ive been in numerous street fights in similar circumstances. The crack wars in DC during the nineties were filled with violence being the norm.

What I'm saying is if there were three of us and some big dude carrying a knife tried to rush us, he would have had his ass kicked. I've witnessed a violent man just like this being disarmed of a knife.

One of my friends actually just grabbed it out of his hand. There were three of us and three of them. The guy with the knife was cut with his own knife. Nobody died.

The cops showed up. Everybody was shoved up against walls. No guns were drawn. The cops were more confident. More experienced with violence. Those fking cops just started shooting.

Its like they don't know how to deal with their job. That dude did not have to be killed.

And I've seen a one on one fight where the attacker had a knife and tried to mug my friend and his girlfriend. My friend is a bad little bastard, he will do some serious damage when prompted to go hands-on. The guy came at him with a knife, my friend grabbed his wrist and lost his grip. The result was my friend almost losing his thumb. If the knife would have been sharp and not some #ty old shiv-like crap, his thumb would have been gone. He had to get a skin graft and now he's fine.

One thing I think we can probably agree on is that the police forces around the entire nation need better training. I was sent a video with a whole bunch of clips of police just beating on people, most of the time it was like 3 cops on one civilian, and they still couldn't take the person down. Any time it was a one-on-one confrontation it was a cop beating on a female. Batons to the skull, shins, and spine. One was a pretty well known story of a girl who got tased and fell, hit her head, and was braindead. Most were just cops going too far, continuing the beating even after the 'bad guy' was on the ground under 3 or 4 cops.

There are tons of techniques that a well-trained individual can employ to disable an unarmed assailant. But when the assailant becomes armed the defender's psychological shortcomings will show through. This isn't Hollywood, Chuck Norris isn't playing cops and robbers.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Sadly on this one here. Was suicide by cop.

The cops could have made an effort to put him down in a non lethal sense.
But they put 9 rounds into him.
Over kill much there officer trigger happy!!! On the other hand, Ive seen non lethal weapons have no effects on people who are pumping with adrenalin, and keep on coming. Ive seen men hit with 3 tasers and still keep coming. Gang piled by like 6 officers and still fighting. The guy had a knife, and he was not unarmed. Sadly he was armed and ready to throw down. They granted him his wish.
But if he would have been in a stable state of mind, he might not have wanted to die. But that is how suicide by cop goes down. Rash choices in the heat of the moment.

Crazy stuff.

Not defending the cops on this. But the guy did have a knife, and was clearly mentally unstable, I think he wanted to die.
So the cops Ended his ass.

I did not want to watch the video.. As again I have seen my share of "death" videos.. They always make me shiver.
But when I did watch it.. I counted 9 shots.
Is that about right? 9 shots?

Ugh, with all that is going on, these cops are fearful for their own lives, and are given deadly weapons with no REAL training behind them.
An over haul is needed, and these officers need some form of training on how to deal with mentally unstable people, who are ready to die by the sword of the law.
Live by the sword, you die by the sword.

Side note- The police State is given a new coat of paint, and is being called something else.
Marshal law WILL come, but will also be given a new fancy name, and a new coat of paint. Make no mistake, it will come in my lifetime.
It happened in MO with the curfew. They just gave it a new fancy name, as not to call it Marshal Law.
Just like our Diplomats in Iraq . They are not called warriors or soldiers but "diplomats"

edit on 23414520385 by zysin5 because: Final edit.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Walking aggressively to some is now considered a life threatening situation.

Pathetic.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
This is whats leading to the deaths of so many civilians:

“[I]f the individual is no longer to be sovereign, if the police can pick him up whenever they do not like the cut of his jib, if they can ‘seize’ and ‘search’ him in their discretion, we enter a new regime. The decision to enter it should be made only after a full debate by the people of this country.”—U.S. Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

The U.S. Supreme Court was intended to be an institution established to intervene and protect the people against the government and its agents when they overstep their bounds. Yet as I point out in my book A Government of Wolves: The Emerging American Police State, Americans can no longer rely on the courts to mete out justice. In the police state being erected around us, the police and other government agents can probe, poke, pinch, taser, search, seize, strip and generally manhandle anyone they see fit in almost any circumstance, all with the general blessing of the courts.

Whether it’s police officers breaking through people’s front doors and shooting them dead in their homes or strip searching innocent motorists on the side of the road, these instances of abuse are continually validated by a judicial system that kowtows to virtually every police demand, no matter how unjust, no matter how in opposition to the Constitution.

T he U.S. Supreme Court Is Marching in Lockstep with the Police State

Here is a list of recent supreme court decisions that have taken us to where were at. These are not all of the decisions but many of them.

This link would make a great thread.

Please do - it would be very refreshing to hear someone with your knowledge present an argument on these forums! Lots of folks I know are waking up. My buddy's brother just became a cop and now my buddy makes fun of his brother because his brother bought the lies hook line and sinker! He thinks hes gonna make a difference in the heroine epidemic up here in Boston or help people on a daily basis. Only thing cops do up here is file paperwork which maximizes state revenue!!

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
IMO the police action was justified.
They did'nt expect this guy would come towards them with a knife, guns allready drawn, they had just a blink to react.

He was looking for it...

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: MentorsRiddle
The guy was walking right at the cop in an aggressive fashion.

The cop had the gun drawn.

The cop shot the guy because if the guy got to him the gun could be taken away and the cop killed.

This is very obvious.

The guy had his right hand in his pocket. He pulled his hand out of his pocket, with a clenched fist. It looked as if he had something in his fist.

You can clearly hear the cop say more than once at 1:36 "Drop the knife! Drop the knife".

The guy was screaming, "Shoot me." He was acting out of his mind, belligerent.

The cop obliged him.

Maybe I am just old enough that I remember things like this are nothing new and Cops USED to not shoot you because you asked to be shot. It is what is known as suicide by cop.

That being said, why do cops have batons, pepper spray and tazers and a whole assortment of less lethal weapons? It is because of situations like this. Sadly Cops only use those less lethal weapons now on people who are already cuffed, already down, and posing no threat. These days if you pose a threat of any kind- they just kill you.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join