It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Phone Video Emerges That Refutes St. Louis Cops Version of Shooting

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

"Powell, who had his hands at his sides, never came within more than 10-15 feet of the officers before they opened fire killing him."

Cell Phone Video Emerges That Refutes St. Louis Cops Version of Shooting

This is a textbook example of why I think we oughta defund the military-industrial complex.
Opinions on the situation, and the implications of this new video?

EDIT: thanks Mods for moving to the right forum

edit on 8/22/2014 by JamesCookieIII because: admin appreciation day

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The guy was walking right at the cop in an aggressive fashion.

The cop had the gun drawn.

The cop shot the guy because if the guy got to him the gun could be taken away and the cop killed.

This is very obvious.

The guy had his right hand in his pocket. He pulled his hand out of his pocket, with a clenched fist. It looked as if he had something in his fist.

You can clearly hear the cop say more than once at 1:36 "Drop the knife! Drop the knife".

The guy was screaming, "Shoot me." He was acting out of his mind, belligerent.

The cop obliged him.
edit on 22-8-2014 by MentorsRiddle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: MentorsRiddle

sure did. aren't cops supposed to be able to deal with a mentally unstable person? I dunno - it just seems too barbaric for me to condone their actions... He was not in the right state of mind, and neither were they...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I dont know, He was walking towards the officers. Seemed he had a death wish. Couldnt really tell if there was anything in his hands, but I would of thought my life was in danger, if I had been in that position. guns drawn, and he was still coming at me I probably woulds have shot his knee caps off, Why do they shoot to kill, if he had a knife, my only question

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I bet he wouldn't have been able to continue his forward momentum with an eye full of pepper spray and a few tazer zaps. not to mention he was outnumbered.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JamesCookieIII

WOW!! That is messed up!!
Took his life when like the guy who video'd that said,
They could have tazed him!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: JamesCookieIII

sure did. aren't cops supposed to be able to deal with a mentally unstable person? I dunno - it just seems too barbaric for me to condone their actions... He was not in the right state of mind, and neither were they...

Yes, cops can deal with this when prepared.

The guy was so close he could have easily rushed them if they tried to switch to a stun gun.

Even the guy that filmed the video was saying he was crazy.... his tone switched after the guy got shot.

Personally I think the guy did it on purpose.

He stole two drinks. Didn't drink them. Sat them down. Waited for the cops to come. He charged at the cops... what would you do?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I didn't see anything that was "acting aggressive." Agitated maybe. He walked toward the cops with his hands out of his pockets. He didn't lunge, jump, or even walk fast.

I can't believe that this is what passes for "law enforcement" these days, and in the "land of the free" too.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Listen.... I'm not saying the cops were in the right.

What I am saying is that this guy brought this horrible situation on himself.

I don't understand how people are all like, "poor person" when that person was acting like an uncivilized man.

When you charge a cop who has his gun drawn, and something possible concealed in your hand, of course that cop is going to shoot..... Come on. Stop defending people who act this way.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Glassbender777
I dont know, He was walking towards the officers. Seemed he had a death wish. Couldnt really tell if there was anything in his hands, but I would of thought my life was in danger, if I had been in that position. guns drawn, and he was still coming at me I probably woulds have shot his knee caps off, Why do they shoot to kill, if he had a knife, my only question
exactly. I think the shoot to kill is whats so barbaric here. I mean, there was the option to incapacitate him non-lethally... the three extra shots sorta jarred me in the direction of classifying this as police brutality...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Shooting to wound, and pepper spray don't always work. If he was on PCP or something like that, he wouldn't even notice. I've heard of guys hit five and six times that only went down to a kill shot.

As for pepper sprayCNN people can actually get themselves used to it, so it won't even phase you anymore. Now you have a situation where the cops let the guy get close enough to spray, and of out doesn't work, he can grapple with them. And if he has a knife, that nice expensive bullet proof vest is useless.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow

I bet he wouldn't have been able to continue his forward momentum with an eye full of pepper spray and a few tazer zaps. not to mention he was outnumbered.

Unless he was high as a kite. Then he could take several bullets before he dropped.

Its very easy to judge a cop when you aren't the one in an adrenaline fueled episode.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: MentorsRiddle

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow

Unless he was high as a kite. Then he could take several bullets before he dropped.

Its very easy to judge a cop when you aren't the one in an adrenaline fueled episode.

None the less, if I did that to a cop who was charging at me, I'd be in jail.... Why does the barbaric American public voting for the government which allows the cops to have a different set of rules than me change the morality of the situation? The point is, if they didn't point the guns at him without even really talking to him, he wouldn't have been so agitated. At any rate, I rate the cops handling of this situation a D- at best. There is more than one way to skin a cat, and lethal force against a mentally unstable person does NOT make justice always.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
With all these latest shooting involving the police and .....civilians and uhh...crazy people....whatever happened to the use of tazers....I mean, there for a while all you heard from LEO 's is how bad they needed them for circumstances such as recent events. .....I guess they forgot they carry them.....ya that's it...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Well that's messed up. I just watched a guy get murdered in cold blood.

Not really sure about the whole situation though, if there had been police there earlier or not. Why was the deceased agitated and belligerent from the very beginning. Why is he telling the police "Shoot me, shoot me then."

Why did the officers have their guns drawn from the very beginning? Why weren't the officers using other means to control the situation?

Why was the guy shooting video during the whole prelude to this event?

There's a lot of fishy things going on here. But the gist of the situation is that a man taunted the police and got killed for it.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Think about the situation.

The cops had already been called, that's how they showed up so quickly.

The guy was waiting for them to arrive.

It is standard procedure to draw your weapon on someone who is considered dangerous, and unknown if armed.

If you had been standing there with your gun drawn, and this man was stalking towards you..... you'd fire.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Definitely a case where taser, pepper spray, non lethal rounds, and maybe even just a good baton might have done the trick. Did you see how they kept shooting even after the guy was neutralized? Guys love to empty out their clips, toys are fun!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

truth. The cops CLEARLY have a right to defend themselves. My point is that they SHOULDN'T be able to legally violate the non-aggression principle anymore than you or I, and that our society has been conditioned to accept this brutality as par for the course. OH PLEASE.... this is a fickle sense of justice at best, society condoning unnecessary murder at worst.

I mean if they had half a brain they could have kept their distance with guns on him until backup arrived and then put him on the ground.
edit on 8/22/2014 by JamesCookieIII because: P.S.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
I didn't see anything that was "acting aggressive." Agitated maybe. He walked toward the cops with his hands out of his pockets. He didn't lunge, jump, or even walk fast.

I can't believe that this is what passes for "law enforcement" these days, and in the "land of the free" too.

Are you serious?

The guy had a knife and was walking aggressively at a cop!

What more do you need for signs of aggression - a five foot sign that says I'm pissed, with an arrow pointing at him?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: MentorsRiddle

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer

Are you serious?

The guy had a knife and was walking aggressively at a cop!

What more do you need for signs of aggression - a five foot sign that says I'm pissed, with an arrow pointing at him?

could you refer to somewhere I can confirm the allegation that he had a knife drawn or brandished at them? because i'm pretty sure this video confirms that was UNTRUE. Maybe he had one in his pocket. If he was dumb enough to brandish a weapon and walk at guns drawn at him while asking them to shoot him, then thats that, darwin award nomination will be sent to the proper publisher. however I have YET to see confirmation that he was brandishing ANY weapon.
edit on 8/22/2014 by JamesCookieIII because: formatting

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join