Ice bucket challenge

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

After the Ice Bucket Challenge went viral on social media, public awareness and charitable donations to ALS charities soared. The New York Times reported that the ALS Association had received $41.8 million in donations from July 29 until August 21. More than 739,000 new donors have given money to the association, which is more than double the $19.4 million in total contributions the association received during the year that ended January 31, 2013.[28] Similarly, the ALS Therapy Development Institute reported a ten-fold increase in donations relative to the same period in 2014,[29] with over 2,000 donations made in a single day on August 20, 2014, while Project ALS reported a 50-fold increase

-------------------------^^^^seems to be working to me.... wish people would just accept its a good thing

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

Yes I saw Matt Damon use toilet water. I see he too is struggling with the cognitive dissonance like many others but it's amazing how much money has bee raised. Bravo.

Let me articulate a picture in my head.

Picture a line up of homeless people and spokespersons for all kinds of diseases and charities standing shoulder to shoulder along a highway that stretches for miles. Each one of them is holding a sign specific to their need. " I'm hungry", "Need Surgery", "Child Lost", "Alzheimer", etc etc. One person in that line up is holding "ALS" and they're standing right on the end. Now see wave after wave of people walking up to that person. Their eyes are closed and they dump a bucket of cash on that person's head. Bucket after bucket and a pile of money is beginning to rise all around them to the point you can no longer see that person standing there with their sign, just a pile of cash. As each person walks up to the pile, they dump a bucket of cash, smiles, snaps a selfie and walks away without any thought.

Meanwhile, scores of people in that lineup drop dead. They drop like flies, one after one they fall to their knees from famine, pain, heat, heart disease, cancer, HIV, etc. And not one single person with a bucket of cash notices. Not one. Instead, the pile continues to grow higher and higher and there's a lot of high fiving, camera flashes and party noises going on. Suddenly, from out of no where comes an angry mob wielding pitchforks, pointing and shouting at the bucket people. They're screaming "look over there", "stop throwing your money", "open your eyes", "stop and think about what you're doing for a moment". The bucket people don't listen. Instead they continue to dump more and more money. So much money in fact, the wind has now blown most of it away. The only response from the bucket people is "shut up", "look how much money is here", "we are good", "you're a hater", "who the hell is Lou? "

The end.

There, that's my final thoughts on this because don't know any other way to put it.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

well im glad youre done with this thread seeing as you are one of many that has a problem with a non issue.

since the ice bucket thing is not raising money for every disease on the planet they should stop?

worried about wasting water???? yeah, ok

what about people with
fish tanks
pools
hot tubs
saunas
water beds
water parks
water fountains at parks
etc etc..........

wastes water right?

i think a few gallons per person is well worth MILLIONS of dollars in donations....

whatever... im done as well.

hard to debate a non issue

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

No, my final thoughts with you but since you asked a question

since the ice bucket thing is not raising money for every disease on the planet they should stop?

It's not about ALS anymore. Don't you see that? It's about a VIRAL campaign. If it started with any other disease it would be only about that as well. My point is simple, take advantage of the viral phenomenon and donate to ANY cause if you actually give a crap about what you're doing. Stop pretending to be a 'do gooder" and not do any other good. It's hypocrisy and self-serving. "We" are calling you out on it.

i think a few gallons per person is well worth MILLIONS of dollars in donations....

It very well may be, but why water? I fail to see the significance other than it was a hot day when all this started. There's an infinite amount of other things that can be used to represent the challenge. It just demonstrates more mindlessness to justify a self-serving back pat.

eta: Water beds? You couldn't give one away.
edit on 27-8-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Here, this is my point.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

why does it matter if it is a viral campaign and all about vanity, assuming thats the case?

is some money for research and awareness not better than zero money?

this is a good thing

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: CardiffGiant

why does it matter if it is a viral campaign and all about vanity, assuming thats the case?

is some money for research and awareness not better than zero money?

this is a good thing

Not when it causes a paradox. Good for you, bad for them mentality. Listen, on the surface it's great. I can't complain about what it's done and the awareness it created, but it runs deeper than that and I think most intelligent people can see the paradox. It's come to the point now where the good in it is becoming obsessive? And to think all that money can be donated to other causes where 100% actually gets to where its going. Most people when they donate, they research first. Philanthropists never throw money at a cause because of a knee jerk reaction.

The problem I have with it is multifaceted. 1. Narcissistic 2. Impulsive 3. Hypocritical 4. A fad 5. Disingenuous. It clearly draws a line between the "haves" and the "havenots" solely for self-gratification. This is my issue and if you can't understand that then maybe I'm just to complicated of a person for most.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join