It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice bucket challenge

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
WHAT WOULD JACK SAY

edit on 25/8/2014 by douglas5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Here is a challenge for all of you, Find someone that actually has ALS and give them the money and let them decide what should be done with it.

This whole ice bucket crap is very very annoying. I personally like giving my money, whether it be for cancer, ALS, spotted pink elephant disease, directly to a person that has that illness.

And why do I feel this way? Because my aunt died of breast cancer. While she was alive we did all kinds of cancer fund raisers and probably raised $50,000 or more that was donated. And when she died my uncle filed bankruptcy and lost everything. would have been nice to have some of that money to cover her bills and funeral expenses. So instead of paying some charity coordinator's salary i would rather help an actual person and if they have excess then they can either give to someone else or give it to research.

And just FYI my best friends uncle has ALS and im sending him a check instead of taking part in this stupid challenge nonsense.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasSeabee

funeral expenses for 1 person or attempt to find a cure for all future als sufferers?

yeah, thats a hard one

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Well said. While it is noble that a lot of money is being raised and awareness of the disease is on everyone's lips, it is quite true that a lot of people are doing it to raise awareness of "self" and for Facebook likes.

I never follow the herd but many of my friends do, so I don't want to get too judgmental..to each their own after all. However this is symptomatic of our current mirror gazing society and can't be stopped. The Pandora's box has been opened and everyone needs validation from the internet anymore. I suppose if we look at the positive side and think "Well even though my friend is doing it for Facebook likes..perhaps he/she is raising awareness and money for this problem " To be honest I'm quite certain alot of the people on my news feed are probably not donating any money..so there is that small bit of foolishness, but what can we do it's a me..me..me society anymore.

As a postscript I was taught that charity is done for pure reasons and in private, one does not go about boasting about their donations to various charities, but I suppose the world has changed. Like all viral sensations of the past few years in a couple weeks no-one will remember it anymore and it will be onto the next fad like standing on your head for peace or eating peaches in a horse stable for legionnaires disease and other such nonsense, as the wheel spins round and round...
edit on 25-8-2014 by waverlyhills because: Pedantic grammatical mistakes..

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
The thing that bothers me about all these challenges and "runs" and cutsey ribbons and products to buy that are supposed to be for the "cause"...what ever really gets cured? Money has been going to various researchers for decades and more and the most we ever hear about are treatments or vaccines or a new big pharma pill but never an out right cure. We haven't even conquered the common cold after all these years. Cancer treatment has not really changed through the years,..still slice and burn and chemical methods. Horrible treatments at that...yet, how many actual cures?

How much of the donation money is like the money that goes to those "feed the hungry" adverts...where we see some fat cat standing next to a poor hungry kid and he asks us for our money. How about handing the kid a sandwhich while your fat arse is pitching? I wonder how many folks get to follow up and see how much donation money actually goes for the "cause" and how much actually goes to some bunch of fat cats in an office.

I agree with the poster that said if anything, give the money directly to the disease victim to use for palliative care or for whatever is needed. The day they actually come out with an actual cure and not just a treatment for something, I would have more confidence in donating. Cancer has been around for ages and so many other diseases. We can come up with a cure for erectile disfunction but we can't cure anything else more life shattering? Geez, priorities. How much research money is needed already...we can invent bigger and better weapons and ways to kill everyday but no cures for anything.

Sounds cold I know. I have MS myself and the most offered are pills/meds and physical therapies. I'm a retired nurse and have watched people suffering for years with the same diseases and no cures, just treatments and some of the treatments seem worst then the disease. Cure something already I say to these organizations. I guess there is more money to be made in treatments and pills then in cures mostly. A real cure for something would probably be very expensive and only the very rich would be able to have access at that rate.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

My guess is The ice bucket challenge started out as a way to capture peoples attention since words are not enough for most people so action that can grab attention is needed. And the ones watching most likely saw it as like "I can do something fun and/or help people as well at the same time. So what started out as a way to capture peoples attention ended up becoming an "In" thing to try for the fun of it. Monkey see, monkey do

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I haven't been nominated yet and would love to be. I think the cause and the idea of the ice bucket challenge is genious. way better than those cancer campaigns I always see.

If anyone is willing to nominate me on fb that would be fantastic:
Link me to youtube, facebook, Right here on ATS...just whatever

My name is David Smith
www.facebook.com...

edit on 26/8/14 by Detrucci because: Added info

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: MoonBunny

My guess is The ice bucket challenge started out as a way to capture peoples attention since words are not enough for most people so action that can grab attention is needed. And the ones watching most likely saw it as like "I can do something fun and/or help people as well at the same time. So what started out as a way to capture peoples attention ended up becoming an "In" thing to try for the fun of it. Monkey see, monkey do

And all these people then suddenly have this epiphany & overwhelming desire to donate millions to a charity because they've found goodness in their hearts. They've ALL finally seen the light and realized that for all these years they've been slaves to their technology and facebook posts paving the way for the next generation of self-absorbed zombies.

But no, that would be much too perfect. Instead, they swarm to a temporary flame of acceptance akin to celebrity status, drunk on YT views and intoxicated with an obnoxious "outdoing" of their opponent with a quick, cool and refreshing splash of water. They forget about the millions of other diseases, poor, neglected and the plethora of other worthy causes because they are deaf from the millions chanting in unison ALS! Other causes are moot at the moment. Why? Why do they donate to just one cause? The answer is simple. They donate for the wrong reason because the right reason would not discriminate.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo

originally posted by: MoonBunny

And all these people then suddenly have this epiphany & overwhelming desire to donate millions to a charity because they've found goodness in their hearts. They've ALL finally seen the light and realized that for all these years they've been slaves to their technology and facebook posts paving the way for the next generation of self-absorbed zombies.

But no, that would be much too perfect. Instead, they swarm to a temporary flame of acceptance akin to celebrity status, drunk on YT views and intoxicated with an obnoxious "outdoing" of their opponent with a quick, cool and refreshing splash of water. They forget about the millions of other diseases, poor, neglected and the plethora of other worthy causes because they are deaf from the millions chanting in unison ALS! Other causes are moot at the moment. Why? Why do they donate to just one cause? The answer is simple. They donate for the wrong reason because the right reason would not discriminate.

come on now. be fair.
not everyone that donates or raises awareness does it for all causes. this is not specific to the ice bucket.
the people that donate to cancer research dont donate to crps research.
people usually find a cause, or causes to identify with and thats what they support. nothing wrong with this at all as people dont have to do anything. something over nothing is a bonus.

so with this als i guess people have identified with it because they will be more popular on facebook. thats their reason. i say so what to that.
i dont see how it bothers you all that much.

do the people that do the cancer runs also donate to other causes? do you talk crap about them too for not doing more?

giving to charity and having it be known is nothing new. thats why it is called awareness. it just might help

as an example lets use brad pitt. i knoe he has causes he supports and he does not do it in secret. he 'promotes' it if you will. does he want people to know what he does for vanity reasons? there is a good chance of that
the flip to that is when people find out that brad pitt is into this ir that charity, it just may strike a chord with them(cause theyre a fan maybe) and they will get in on the charity as well.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

how many medical bills and funerals would 2 million dollars cover? and then there is the left overs for research. Im sorry these charities dont work how you think they do. with the ceo making $300,000+ as a salary.

how many could half his salary help?

also whatever cure or treatment they find still will cost the people who NEED it thousands of dollars. they aren't going to find a cure and give it out for free. so why not try to help actual people right now instead of padding some aholes bank account in the mean time?
edit on 26-8-2014 by TexasSeabee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TexasSeabee

how many medical bills and funerals would 2 million dollars cover? and then there is the left overs for research. Im sorry these charities dont work how you think they do. with the ceo making $300,000+ as a salary.

how many could half his salary help?

also whatever cure or treatment they find still will cost the people who NEED it thousands of dollars. they aren't going to find a cure and give it out for free. so why not try to help actual people right now instead of padding some aholes bank account in the mean time?

helping them by giving them a few bucks for their funeral?
yeah, ok. you do that

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

i also said medical bills. but yes if i had an illness that is going to kill me the i would love to have help and make sure my family doesn’t go bankrupt when I’m gone.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Not a big deal to do the icebucketchallenge,Then donate to whomever your choice is and chill out and have some fun in life.Good greif...Donate to ALS anyways and donate to other things.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I am being fair. I'm calling a spade a spade. Tsk tsk, it really is too bad you can't see this from the pragmatic perspective

do the people that do the cancer runs also donate to other causes? do you talk crap about them too for not doing more?

NO and I'll tell you why. Because those people do it year after year. They RUN for cancer and EARN their donations. Year after year after year without fail. You can count on them to organize events and you can count on them to be a permanent voice for cancer awareness. The cancer runs are the byproduct of an even larger source, TERRY FOX. Do you even know who he is? Do you have any idea how these cancer runs even began?

This bucket challenge is NOTHING like that. It relies solely on the 'vanity' factor to make bucks and once this fad disappears, so will ALS donations as it drys up an blows away in the wind of a forgotten time. But not Cancer awareness as it will always remain unchallenged in its integrity (except for Lance Armstrong). Ice bucket is no different than Movember. How many people actually have their prostate checked or donate to the cause but love to show off their new mustache? What you have here is a bunch of people splashing water on themselves and don't donate anything other than their time to upload the YT proof of their 'good deed'. At least cancer awareness charities require you to break a sweat.

So let's be hypothetical for a moment. What if this fad continues for a year and raises 2 billion dollars while funding for other research gets axed? (which they do btw) Where are the checks and balances? There are THOUSANDS of charities that are literally begging for awareness and are begging for the donations that ALS has received. Despite what you may think, I'm happy money has been raised, good for ALS, but if this challenge goes down in history as the biggest global event to bring together the largest support for a given cause EVER, and the world does not use this opportunity to take advantage of the fad phenomenon to assist other notable charities when the timing is spot on, then SHAME on you.

If you can't see the truth in that...I don't know what to tell you. Sad man, sad. If I was dying and someone tried to help provided they got recognition for it, know what I would say? Keep it, I don't need your charity.
edit on 26-8-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
My wife and I were just talking about this the other night. How absolutely friggin retarded this is! Let's see, show me the last time there was a cause that people raised money for that actually cured a disease? Not a damned one! All of this is nothing more than self serving, attention grabbing fodder.

Here's an idea. Let's do the "chuck the granola bar" challenge. See how far you can throw a granola bar to raise awareness about hunger in the USA. Let's see how much money a REAL cause with REAL measurable results can raise!

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: haarvik

I got another one. How about slap yourself in the face challenge and donate anywhere you feel. Except the rule is you must do both.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

lol...there ya go! See how many YT morons will do that one!

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Sorry, not a reason to make a thread about but I just want to say...

I think this ice bucket challenge has got be one of the most ridiculous things I've seen. I'm sure there are more important and a more effective ways to show your support of a debilitating disease than dumping a bucket of water on your head. Really? A bucket of water on your head?? Big effing deal! And the part that gets me the most is that every social networking junkie thinks all you have to do is dump a bucket of water on your head because everyone else is doing it?

This is my take on it. None of you really give two crapolas about anything other than jumping on a viral bandwagon for a few minutes of internet glory. This "challenge" is nothing about ALS but is more about YOU. No different than the "Stop Kony" fiasco in 2012. What happened with that? I almost forgot his name already. How about "read a book to a dying child challenge", or "serve a thousand homeless challenge" or "paint a fence challenge"? Because any of those things actually require EFFORT and you will NOT get notoriety on YT for it.

All I see is a bunch of simple simons dumping cold water on their heads thinking to themselves "what a good boy am I ". Brainless, zombified internet sheep. That's what I see. That's all I've ever seen my entire life; the internet just facilitates idiot coagulation. Excuse me while I go dump my head in the toilet for ALS. Sorry, no video.

I agree I can't help but think the sheeple just do it because everyone else is doing it.

I got nominated to do it and refused and I'm apparently a misery.

I've also refused to donate any money - there are thousands of charities out there, why should I be dictated to that I should donate $100 to a charity I've never heard of because I refused to do something ridiculous that I never volunteered to do.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Power_Semi

But we ALL bundle.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   

What you have here is a bunch of people splashing water on themselves and don't donate anything other than their time to upload the YT proof of their 'good deed'. At least cancer awareness charities require you to break a sweat.

wrong. they are of course doing it for their vanity but they ARE donating.

if it makes you feel better, matt damon just did it and he used toilet water.
orlando jones did it with a bucket full of bullet shells
b real did it with a bucket full of weed

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join