It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice bucket challenge

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

Well if you don't like the ice bucket challenge for charity....you can always pour scolding hot water on yourself and do it for burn victims and their charity.
(kidding of course)

I do understand what you are saying though.
I can't fathom it either but if it raises cash for people who need it....why not?
I'd rather donate than do the challenge but hey,people are weird.
Its a viral thing.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

I do understand what you are saying though.
I can't fathom it either but if it raises cash for people who need it....why not?
I'd rather donate than do the challenge but hey,people are weird.
Its a viral thing.

I know, on the surface of it all it's harmless warm'n fuzzy fun. Everyone participating sees it that way which I can't fault. I guess I just see things from a different perspective than most. Let me give you an analogy. If you drive a car, then you would notice how most people take up the center lane and drive 50 while the left lane and right lane have less cars. People just zone out and go with the flow. That's how I view this challenge.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Why are they doing it??

Ice Bucket Challenge donations have topped $41 MILLION dollars as of today.

www.nytimes.com...

Most people I see doing it are donating as well. People can also care about more than one charity at a time. Just because it is ALS right now, it doesn't mean that AIDS doesn't matter anymore.

$41 MILLION dollars... There are many with ALS and their families, that this means the world to.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
When I saw that George Bush was going to do the ice bucket challenge, I was hoping it would be a solid block of ice dumped on his head. I would pay money to see that.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

That's fantastic. Now if something as simple as splashing water on your head can raise 41M, then there's no mountain we can't climb. Imagine what we could do if we dunk for apples.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo

That's fantastic. Now if something as simple as splashing water on your head can raise 41M, then there's no mountain we can't climb. Imagine what we could do if we dunk for apples.

I can only imagine. Why don't you start and we can find out??

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

The first guy that did it.. or His idea or??? anyway He is dead now.. He drowned. Not to mention that most of the Western United States is going through a drought.. Especially California.. Eat any food?

Dummy up!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I personally think this whole challenge, and similar challenges like it, are ridiculous.

This whole thing is just a media stunt and a distraction tactic. It probably wasn't initially intended as one but with a little help from celebs and George Bush himself (seriously?), it sure has become one.

It just seems like everyone is more interested in their number of FB likes then actually caring or donating to the actual cause.
I know for the most part, peoples hearts are in the right place but everyone needs to stop and think about what is really going on here. I see more posts and people talking about this challenge then more important current issues which are not getting the attention that they deserve.

I honestly applaud Charlie Sheen and his ALS challenge video. He filled his bucket with $10,000 which he will be personally donating... Now if the money makes it there or not is a different story. Lol

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
Why are they doing it??

www.nytimes.com...

Most people I see doing it are donating as well. People can also care about more than one charity at a time. Just because it is ALS right now, it doesn't mean that AIDS doesn't matter anymore.

$41 MILLION dollars... There are many with ALS and their families, that this means the world to.

This right here sums up why they are doing it. ^^^

People have gotten creative and found a way to make donating to a good cause go viral. This is a big deal and just because it isn't for a disease or disability that you (OP and a few others) "like" this time around doesn't mean it isn't coming. Get creative and make up your own challenge and get people behind it! Some people will complain about anything I swear!
edit on 8/22/2014 by SpaDe_ because: clarify

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
Why are they doing it??

www.nytimes.com...

This right here sums up why they are doing it. ^^^

People have gotten creative and found a way to make donating to a good cause go viral. This is a big deal and just because it isn't for a disease or disability that you (OP and a few others) "like" this time around doesn't mean it isn't coming. Get creative and make up your own challenge and get people behind it! Some people will complain about anything I swear!

Everybody would rather ignore that post Spade. It is what it is. I would hate to think that I could never find anything good about anything in my whole entire life.

It's a little depressing.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Agreed it does get annoying to me as well, but I don't let it get to the point of being depressing. I'm just curious how many millions of dollars the OP and the others complaining about this challenge have been donated because they got people behind a good cause or did anything productive or proactive at all to get people to donate to any good cause. I can safely say the answer is 0 or it would have been mentioned already.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   
try watching this vid and you might get a little more patient with people trying to do something for the right reasons...

www.upworthy.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   

I'm with you OP. Also, the ALS Foundation performs animal testing, spends only 8% of the money they collect on research, and way more on employee salaries and more fundraising. Just say no to giant charities. Donate to local charities, stop making chumps of yourselves with stupid internet trends, and quit wasting water.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I am not against donating money to worthy causes and I most certainly am not against a fun (viral even) way to bring attention to said cause. In theory the Ice Bucket Challenge is a good idea. Where better to garner attention for a cause than through social media?!

However, there are far more worthy causes to be donated to. Did you know that only 12,000 (CDC numbers) to 30,000 (ALS numbers) are living with Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, commonly known as “Lou Gehrig’s Disease" at any one time?! Where as Alzheimer's and Diabetes' numbers are in the millions? I won't get into the waste of water debate because that argument could go back and forth for days. Instead I'll share some information I found about the Ice Bucket Challenge I found while researching after my youngest son was nominated... and subsequently did the challenge.

Did you know that the ALS is claiming this challenge as their own, when in fact, it is not? Here's a great article to inform you on the challenge's origins: Take The "No Ice Bucket Challenge"

And here's an article about where all this money is really going (referenced for statistical purposes only, but feel free to read the entire article): ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Do You Know Wat You Are Supporting?

Now I propose we start a "Pagliacci Cream Pie Challenge" to raise awareness for Mental Health Issues!

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Don't be depressed, I'm not a ba-humbug guy except when xmas comes. I enjoy feel good movies and classical music gives me goose bumps. I just can't stand when people seek attention and I abhor homogeneous thinking when it has to do with mindless trends.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Malynn

Your post needs more stars.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Malynn

Absolutely....

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

Fools, every one of them. What is dumping water supposed to signify anyway? Why not something else like...a can of garbage or...a pile of compost. Why water? I just don't get it. Because it's hot outside? Does water have some kind of healing element to ALS? Do ALS victims suffer from water retention? What does a bucket of water have to do with ALS? Is it the brief cold suffering which is supposed to signify standing in solidarity of ALS victims and their suffering? Is it comparable to the Christians when they flog themselves as they walk Jesus' route to the cross on good Friday?

What a bunch of posers.

eta: Perspective time

1.2 million YT videos uploaded with an average of 5 gallons per person means a minimum of 5 million gallons of water wasted in a few days.
It takes six and a half years for the average American residence to use the amount of water required to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool (660,000 gallons). So that's now 6.5 x 7.5 swimming pools = 49 years of water. Minimum.
edit on 23-8-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I get it...it brings attention and water doesn't have to really have anything to do with ALS, but it is obscene how much clean, drinkable water is being poured away.
It's kinda like eating challenges or man vs food or whatever... enough food to feed 20 people but hey, It's fun and cool right?

We have it so backwards don't we?

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
You know people, this forum has the most negative people I have EVER ENCOUNTERED!!!
Something silly to raise awareness for a cause is a GOOD THING, but you wouldn't ever know because you're so far stuck in the half empty glass.
Funny thing, it's the SAME PEOPLE that decry a good cause, EVERY TIME, just because THEY DONT LIKE IT.
People are saying this is a waste of water; I disagree. When you spill water. Do you gotta pick it up, throw the spill in the garbage. It EVAPORATES, and eventually becomes rain again, no harm, no foul.

You guys really need to get over yourselves. You don't like them? THEN DONT WATCH THEM!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join