It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice bucket challenge

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Sorry, not a reason to make a thread about but I just want to say...

I think this ice bucket challenge has got be one of the most ridiculous things I've seen. I'm sure there are more important and a more effective ways to show your support of a debilitating disease than dumping a bucket of water on your head. Really? A bucket of water on your head?? Big effing deal! And the part that gets me the most is that every social networking junkie thinks all you have to do is dump a bucket of water on your head because everyone else is doing it?

This is my take on it. None of you really give two crapolas about anything other than jumping on a viral bandwagon for a few minutes of internet glory. This "challenge" is nothing about ALS but is more about YOU. No different than the "Stop Kony" fiasco in 2012. What happened with that? I almost forgot his name already. How about "read a book to a dying child challenge", or "serve a thousand homeless challenge" or "paint a fence challenge"? Because any of those things actually require EFFORT and you will NOT get notoriety on YT for it.

All I see is a bunch of simple simons dumping cold water on their heads thinking to themselves "what a good boy am I ". Brainless, zombified internet sheep. That's what I see. That's all I've ever seen my entire life; the internet just facilitates idiot coagulation. Excuse me while I go dump my head in the toilet for ALS. Sorry, no video.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
who cares they are raising money for a good cause.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

I agree this is one of the most dumbest things I have seen lately why not just give money without the pointless videos.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Then donate.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Well said! This thing has been driving me crazy. If the end result is a huge donation to support ALS research, that's great and awesome. Like you, I'm more so annoyed by the fact that most of the people doing this challenge couldn't have cared less about ALS until this went viral. I guess sometimes the end justifies the means, though.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The whole point of the challenge is not to dump the water on your head, it's to donate money.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Agreed, why cant people just donate without doing this challenge and without the need to be noticed for doing so.
People should help out without expecting to be rewarded for doing it.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Ya its just about awareness.
I get what you are saying but you should look into how it started, pretty good story.
With the ice bucket challenge it is not out of sight so it is not out if mind.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Well, it certainly is wasteful as all hell. Remember, that water had to pass through the water treatment facility - it cost money, manpower, and probably coal or nuclear energy to power that facility. This could also be an infinitely deep money pit, like wasting your money donating to "cancer research." If we didn't eat, bathe in, drink, and breathe dangerous chemicals all the freaking time, maybe we wouldn't be dealing with the insane fact that every single person in the US knows somebody that has had cancer, has cancer, or died of cancer. (Not to mention all the heart disease, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, etc.)

It's punishment for an immoral lifestyle; these diseases will not vanish as long as we refuse to change our ways. Donating your money to ALS or cancer research is like playing a lottery where you have zero chance to win anything (And like the lottery, it siphons hard earned and much needed dollars away from poor people.)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Lichter daraus

Exactly! You're not supposed to get credit for doing a good thing. That is self-serving. Just do what you feel is right and don't tell anyone, ever. How many can do that? How many can resist the urge to brag about what a good deed they've done? Not many.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I hear you. Personally I never heard of ALS but feel dumping a bucket of water over my head will not fix it.
A couple years ago my friend did raise some money for some research to do this... I challenge all ice bucket droppers to try it lol...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

It's a waste of water. Do you see the moronic irony in that?
edit on 22-8-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: centhwevir1979

It's punishment for an immoral lifestyle; these diseases will not vanish as long as we refuse to change our ways.

Do you belong to the Westboro baptist church?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I wonder how much companies like Reddy Ice are making on this...

Besides, I'd much rather take the Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) challenge myself:

IBS Challenge

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Ya, none of them would do that. That's why I call bs on this whole thing.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
What Ever Happened to AIDS?

We Just Forget About Those People?

It's Great That ALS is Getting the Recognition, even at the cost of people jumping on-board the media wagon for self fame.

But This is Just Another Meme, Tebowing (F-n Stupid), Then Lighting Yourself on Fire (Str8-Up R-Tards), Now Your Cooling Yourself Off With Ice Cold Water (Never Damage and Self-Induced Shock). Imma Place a Gentlemen s Bet and Say that THE NEXT Meme will be Putting Your Head in A Hole (Or Something to Do With Earth) We got the elemental thing going on now, if you see the patterns.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SirKonstantin

lol. This is the mentality. Summer time, +30 hot as hell, I'm gonna jump through the lawn sprinklers for a good cause.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

LOL. Great Idea!, I'll go planking and be dragged by someone else taylor swifting shouting O-Long_Johnson threw those slip-in-slides.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: centhwevir1979

It's punishment for an immoral lifestyle; these diseases will not vanish as long as we refuse to change our ways.

Do you belong to the Westboro baptist church?

I am absolutely not a christian. I'm a guy that looks around, sees people eating chemicals instead of food, and sees the link between that fact and increasing rates of cancer and other associated maladies. You want to eat chemicals instead of food? Fine, but be prepared to suffer the consequences.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: SirKonstantin

What Ever Happened to AIDS?

They had to make room so they can make important things like erection pills.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join