It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola's Cytokine Storm: Protect Yourself

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: wishes

No - before we can discuss what to do about it, we need (at least some) evidence that ebola does or might thrive in an acidic environment. Otherwise it's just peeing into the wind.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

No - before we can discuss what to do about it, we need (at least some) evidence that ebola does or might thrive in an acidic environment. Otherwise it's just peeing into the wind.

I cannot 'prove' Ebola thrives in an acidic environment any more than you can prove that it doesn't because if the research has been done I'm not aware of it. There is ample information on the internet claiming that acidic environments tends to promote disease and illness. The Dr. Robert Morse reference I gave has dozens of videos by him about that very thing - he is a naturopathic doctor as well as an expert in chemistry. He clearly explains we are either alkaline or acidic, period, there is no other option and that when our systems are too acidic (above 7.4) we are more prone to diseases and viruses.

I would take a chance and pee in the wind that Ebola thrives in an acidic environment just like many other viruses have already been shown to do, but that's me.

What are three conditions viruses need to thrive?
1. Living cells in which to replicate
2. A specific binding between the outer proteins of the virus and specific receptors on the host cell's surface to be able to attach to a living cell
3. A constant and stable environment conducive to replication, which varies for each virus ie. some can only replicate in acidic environments, some in heat, etc.

answers.yahoo.com...;_ylt=A0SO8yWJ1ARUXO8As0tXNyoA;_ylu=X3o'___'E0OGFvY2ZrBHNlYwNzcgRwb3M'___'AEY29sbwNncTEEdnRpZANTTUU1OTJfMQ--?q id=20080823174350AAu8Y0x

pH-Dependent Viruses
Viral pH Dependency

Laboratory experiments (in vitro) have confirmed that many viruses require a mildly acidic environment to attack host cells.
www.meridianinstitute.com...
(bolding is mine)

How to Change Your Body to an Alkaline Environment

Read more : www.ehow.com...
Maintaining the proper pH balance in our bodies is essential to life. Cells are slightly alkaline but secrete acid during their metabolic activities. If your body has an imbalance of acid and a lack of oxygen, then bacteria, viruses and fungi are able to thrive and harm you body. This is a condition known as acidosis. Read more : www.ehow.com...

www.ehow.com...

I think it's very appropriate to say Ebola "likely" thrives in an acidic environment like SARS and flus and other viruses do.
edit on 1-9-2014 by wishes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: wishes
I think it's very appropriate to say Ebola "likely" thrives in an acidic environment like SARS and flus and other viruses do.

I can't find the link (somewhere in these Ebola threads) that suggested Ebola (like other illnesses) thrives in an acidic environment so changing your system to alkaline could help survive it. If this is true, which I'm not saying it is - it is worth considering ways to bring your system to an alkaline state by using baking soda.

...what if Ebola actually thrives in an alkaline state and your advice gained from 'researching' a youtube vid or whatever is wrong?
Such unsubstantiated claims are enough to make a person want to post in the rant forum lol.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

I can't find the link (somewhere in these Ebola threads) that suggested Ebola (like other illnesses) thrives in an acidic environment so changing your system to alkaline could help survive it. If this is true, which I'm not saying it is - it is worth considering ways to bring your system to an alkaline state by using baking soda.

...what if Ebola actually thrives in an alkaline state and your advice gained from 'researching' a youtube vid or whatever is wrong?
Such unsubstantiated claims are enough to make a person want to post in the rant forum lol.

How about you actually read my wording (part of which you quoted) and check the links then come back and discuss the possibility of viruses living in an alkaline environment. I've done a hell of a lot more than just watched a you tube video, what have you done? Are you here to actually contribute towards a solution or just trolling?

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

what have you done? Are you here to actually contribute towards a solution or just trolling?

I'm offering a different opinion, and suggesting that primary research does not support your advice to the masses.
You may not like that but unfortunately that is usually the result of reasoned debate.
Now, do you have a referenced source (other than a youtube vid) that Ebola thrives in an acidic environment?
If you do, great, please share it, otherwise accept that your claims are unsubstantiated.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

My original request for references was polite, sincere and legitimate. Now... Not so much.

Are you here to actually contribute towards a solution or just trolling?

PLEASE - answer your own question. As grainofsand said so eloquently. "...what if Ebola actually thrives in an alkaline state and your advice gained from 'researching' a youtube vid or whatever is wrong?"

...All it takes is a bit of time to do a little research for gawdsake. There are legitimate scientific sources all over the webs - including pubmed. And what's with this?

I cannot 'prove' Ebola thrives in an acidic environment any more than you can prove that it doesn't because if the research has been done I'm not aware of it.

GOOD GRIEF!!!!! Then what in Hades are you going on about? You don't know if Ebola thrives in an acidic or alkaline environment, but you recommend taking steps to make the cellular environment more alkaline? Do you even realize how absolutely irresponsible that is?

Asking for references is a bloody small thing. If you are going spout off about neutralizing acidic environments to kill Ebola then bloody well post the blessed research that at least suggests it might possibly be relevant or go back to Twitter.

We're not here to make wild guesses.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

I think it's very appropriate to say Ebola "likely" thrives in an acidic environment like SARS and flus and other viruses do. ....How about ....discuss the possibility of viruses living in an alkaline environment. I've done a hell of a lot more than just watched a you tube video.....

Great. Hopefully, you can help "translate" the research results cited below into common language that laymen can understand. ....I went ahead and did a bit of your research for you - took about 3.5 seconds to find two papers, referenced below. They both seem to indicate that Ebola seems to thrive in an alkaline environment. But maybe you can help shed some light on that.

1. This study shows that levels of alkaline phosphatase increase as Ebola virus infection progresses - which seems to indicate that Ebola prefers an alkaline environment.

Analysis of blood counts and serum biochemistry revealed leukocytopenia, thrombocytopenia, severe rash, decreased levels of glucose, as well as increased levels of alkaline phosphatase, alanine aminotransferase, blood urea nitrogen and creatinine at end-stage EBOV disease (Fig. 1e–o, Table 2).

Increases in the level of liver enzymes alanine aminotransferase (10- to 30-fold increase), alkaline phosphatase (two- to threefold), and total bilirubin (3- to 11-fold) indicate significant liver damage (Fig. 2g–l), a hallmark of filovirus infections.

2. This study seems to say that C-c3ATP might be an Ebola antiviral and/or toxic to Ebola viruses - BUT - it is degraded by alkaline phosphatase.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
C-c3ATP and ATP were susceptible to degradation to their respective nucleosides by bovine alkaline phosphatase. …..C-c3ATP may represent a form of C-c3Ado that might contribute to extending its intracellular half life or otherwise exhibit antiviral activity and/or toxicity.

3. Again, increased alkaline phosphatase levels during late stages of disease.

Early serum enzyme levels were unremarkable, but all were elevated during the late stage of disease (table 3). Elevations in LDH were striking after day 7 (range, 1922–4532 IU/L). On days 7 and 9, AST rose sharply, averaging 865 IU/L (range, 525–1464). However, there was only a modest (∼2-fold) elevation of ALT during these later stages of disease. Alkaline phosphatase levels were terminally increased by almost 4-fold over baseline values.

PS. Ebola is a filovirus - different from coronaviruses (SARS) and influenza viruses, which may indeed thrive in acidic environments. HINT: Every family, species and strain of virus is different in different ways - which is why individual viruses characteristics do NOT apply across the board.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow
For one thing I never made any absolute statements about anything - I was throwing it out as an idea, to try and help.
I never claimed to be any kind of expert and I never suggested anyone SHOULD do anything - I expect readers are adult enough to make up their own minds.
I gave some sources for some ideas, that's it. And I provided more sources for other things when asked. I am not any kind of expert nor ever claimed to be. So excuse me for trying to contribute "ideas". I said twice someone posted in one of these Ebola threads a link that talked about Ebola thriving in an acidic environment and I couldn't find it readily.
I will gladly go back to observing and non-participant mode. Is all yours.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Great Ideas

Didn't see Peppermint and Copaiba oil on you antiflammatory list>

High dose vitamin C might do the trick with Ebola too. Its
supposed to be effective against most other viruses. I suspect we will
get some feedback about colloidal silver for ebola eventually.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

I'll bend over backwards to try and help someone who's trying to learn - but there's a HUGE difference between "contributing ideas" and spreading dangerous gossip. And when the gossip is about "treating" deadly diseases, I simply will not let it be spread on any of my threads without serious challenge. Sorry if that bothers you but I hope you will one day see the difference - and the light.

gossip

Casual or unconstrained conversation or reports...., typically involving details that are not confirmed as being true...

PS. All you ever had to do was look it up for yourself - in legitimate sources - and ask questions about what you didn't understand.

PPS. That's still all you have to do.

edit on 1/9/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: UMayBRite!

Thanks.
...Didn't know about copaiba oil, had to look it up. Cool. Like it.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
wellnessmama.com...

This recipe that I posted above is supposedly the vinegar that the four thieves used to protect themselves whilst looting villages that had been victimized by the Bubonic Plague in the Middle Ages. it appears to me, that some of you here are educated in virology. What say you about this recipe? I know that these herbs have many properties to them, including anti-viral properties. Could this recipe be a way to make some sort of deterrent to this Ebola virus? Something we could make at home to protect ourselves?
I believe this was used as a body wash but could possibly be used as a tonic.
(Posted by request from the other thread.)

edit on 6-9-2014 by missvicky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: oletimer

How Ebola forces a cytokine storm

Ebola virus protein VP24 binds to Human protein KPNA5. This blocks human protein STAT1 from binding to KPNA5. STAT1 helps regulate cytokine production and elimination. Since it can't bind to KPNA5, it can't help regulation.

Result of dis-regulation: cytokine storm.

(snip)

Researchers looking into the VP24 bindings, trying to find existing drugs that help block the interaction with human protein recently released a paper indicating the heart drug ouabain interfers with the VP24 binding thus reducing the virus replication.

Note the drug is made from a plant seed native to Africa, which has many traditional medical uses.

edit on 14-9-2014 by oletimer because: makeits

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
No news to post here, but it may be of interest to some in the US now that the disease is on US soil.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Ebola does not take the sick and elderly - the majority of Ebola patients are young and healthy with strong immune systems. From the WHO in the New England Journal of Medicine:

Ebola Virus Disease in West Africa — The First 9 Months of the Epidemic and Forward Projections
WHO Ebola Response Team
September 23, 2014DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1411100

RESULTS
The majority of patients are 15 to 44 years of age (49.9% male)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow
Like bird flu, Ebola kills with a cytokine storm - by pushing healthy immune systems into hyperdrive - and making your body kill itself.

Us autoimmune folks already have autoimmune systems that are trying to kill us. We are on drugs to keep that from happening - like Plaquinel. I'm wondering if a drug to use against ebola would be one in the autoimmune family of drugs.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I can't help lose my sides whenever anyone implies that some herb can protect you from Ebola-chan's sanguineous embrace.
Nothing can protect you. No herbs, no medicines, no masks or suits. You are just lucky the epidemic will fizzle out in a few weeks just like it does every year.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

For those in the "know" there is also methotrexate and imuran. These are two auto-immune system "resetters" and are used in cancer therapy as well as maintenance for diseases like arthritis. These drugs, like most pharmaceuticals, are poisons, but they effectively limit immunological response if taken in the correct doses which a doctor needs to determine.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 10/13.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Our immune system might not be the only factor. I've been thinking about how people's meds/medical issues might interact with Ebola. Is it possible someone taking blood thinners could bleed out before other symptoms develop?

Could initial symptoms be individualized depending on our strengths/weaknesses? I wonder how Ebola might present itself within such a medically diverse population.

Since Ebola has never been here we can only go by stats from west Africa. If we're a more medicated population I wonder, good/bad, whether that could be a game changer. What about our climate? Not wise assuming Ebola will act exactly the same within our population as opposed to west Africa.

Sickle cell anemia is seen as a bad thing in civilized society but where malaria is rampant it lends protection. Whole new playing field here and imo US officials are assuming too much.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Virtually every manufacturer who can is pushing off-label use of their products as able to fight Ebola - worth checking out.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join