It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Military Families Going Hungry as Foreign Invaders Get All Expenses Paid

page: 2
<< 1   >>

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:17 AM

originally posted by: nighthawk1954

Gerri Willis has as her guest Gunnery Sergeant Jessie Jane Duff, who raises the issue of the difficult time military personnel are having in just meeting the basic needs of their families.

The statistics are dismal, with 25% of active military requiring assistance to make ends meet, to the extent that many food banks are actually opening up locations on military installations.

What is happening to this country! I just don't get it. Oh wait a minute I get it now take care of the immigrants first before our own.

People need to wake up and see that the U.S. military is similiar to the Welfare system - a broken down system that needs to be revamped. I have seen many poor families in the military. They have no choice .... either Welfare or the armed services. One day it is OK to be fat in the armed service and the next day you are booted out for being overweight. Just one nightmare of many that the armed services use whenever they want to.

Only if we the people would stand together but that is and will always be the main problem..... everyone out for themselves and as long as that works (and it will until the end) NEVER will mankind stand up for what is right. Every one of us are guilty of this.

Have one maybe two billion people stand up and make waves and watch how quick things could change but where are you going to find one billion people...oh the hell..what about 10% of that.........say one hundred million people stand up and confront the criminals inside each of our governments.......we can't even do that! So we deserve what we got coming.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:01 PM
Military life can be a challenge to a young family. The base Commissaries, (grocery stores) do not have bargains there by a long shot. Years ago, you could save a buck here and there on certain items or by purchasing in bulk but that has changed. The base PX/BX, where you can go to buy various items, from toiletries to clothes to household items and such...well, that place is no prize. The prices are outta reach for most lower echelon personnel. If you are one of the "higher ups" and shopping there, and you want to purchase fancy nic-nacs made out of crystal and high class clothes and such, then it is an ok place. If you're the average "GI Joe", you aren't gonna find much there to buy...rarely any good deals or things of interest for the struggling families.

There are many medications that the base pharmacy does not supply. Family Practice clinics have been phased away at many bases and you have to go off base for medical and ER help.

I can see where food stamps are needed by many families in the military.

The latest thing that "bugs" me, is they are now offering base housing to civilians here at Barksdale AFB. They say it will be to select groups. Still can't help wondering if some in that group will be illegals or some other group of folks we would not imagine would ever be getting access to living on a military base? Military families that live on base are very upset by this new development and cannot understand why such a change relevant to base housing and are objecting profusely.

edit on 23-8-2014 by shrevegal because: error

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:51 PM
I've been in the Air Force for 12 years. I came in for every reason in the book: 9-11, a job, to help pay for college, to travel, to meet people, to get out of name it. I scored well above average on my ASVAB, and to join the AF, you had to score higher then all the other branches.

The ASVAB, if you don't know, is basically a placement test that measures your intelligence and abilities. It's a way for the military to place you a career field where you'll do well. It's not a difficult test, but you'd be surprised at how low the standards are.

I'm not calling anyone in the service stupid, but we've got people who come from all walks of life. People who have struggled in life, been in and out of jail, graduated from college, done great things, played professional sports. There's no shortage of any one type of person.

I am, and always have been, financially comfortable in the military. Everyone who comes in, is payed well enough to get by in our society. Any financial issues that they have is that of their own cause. Personal accountability needs to be applied to those who do struggle. When you first come in, you live in a dormitory on base where you get a meal card to eat at the chow hall. You get paid twice a month. You have a commissary on base that's equivalent to wal-mart prices. Most bases have a bus that will transport you from the dorms to where you work (or close enough).

We have free medical and free dental, we get paid extra money when we move, we get paid for our military clothing, we get paid for off base housing, and we get paid for food, all on top of our base pay which is determined by our rank and time in service. I'm getting a promotion next week, which will equate to an $800 a month raise. I'll be making close to $66K a year, on top of all the other entitlements that we have....I'd say that's a pretty fair shake.

Here's the thing, most of the people in the service do just fine. But some, struggle. Some don't know what to do with their money. Some go out to strip clubs and malls as soon as their done with their initial training and blow it on anything they can. Some feel they have to have the newest pair of oakly sunglasses. Some have to have a $3K entertainment/gaming system in their tiny dorm room. And some are driving a lexus on a $30K a year salary.

People feed off of the military, and they set their sights on the very ones who are young and impressionable. There are car dealerships outside of every base with signs that say "guaranteed loan for E-3's", and nobody to stop them. Walk through a mall near a base, and there will be a vendor specifically searching out young military members waiting to give them a line of credit at 25% interest that jumps to 30% after one missed payment. And there is nobody there to help them manage their money.

We take the bait, we throw ourselves into a debt we won't see or realize for years. We hook up with cute girls who are attracted to men in uniform and get hooters waitresses pregnant. By the time we're 30, we're 3 kids deep and thousands of dollars in debt with a crappy lexus that we couldn't afford to ever get fixed, with a home loan that soaks up half our paycheck, and 2 ex wives/husbands that take the rest.

Who's fault is that? We knew exactly what we were getting into. You can't always blame the government, sometimes personal responsibility is all that's required to make ends meet. Sometimes its that same discipline that is instilled into us on the firing range that we need to apply to our finances...that's it, that's all. Self-discipline.

Believe me, we get paid a fair wage. Though I've always felt that any time you're in a combat environment, you should receive a $10K per month pay raise for each month that you're there. That's the only time where we aren't paid enough. Plus, if 20,000 people are in a combat zone with that pay increase, the government will think twice about waging war on anyone.
edit on 24-8-2014 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:55 PM
a reply to: nighthawk1954

If you make under 15 dollars an hour you are screwed. Inflation is slowly raising the cost of everything. I predicted this over a year ago now that inflation will cause the coming collapse.

If you make over this amount it does not really matter because this will touch everyone. Most people fall under this amount and when they finally wake up it will be epic. The people using and abusing the system are going to be in for a shock when the masses figure out they have no future anymore.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 11:17 PM
So this is how the US treats those who make the ultimate sacrifice. People need to realise that those in power don't give a damn!

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 11:25 PM

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
I served in the U.S. Army from 2003 - 2006 and even then soldiers could qualify for food stamps (provided they had a family). The problem has ALWAYS been dismal pay for soldiers. Its a tradition going back since the dawn of time.

My husband was enlisted in the army from 1997-2003. I started work as a stripper (started out of desperation) so we actually lived pretty well (honestly, it worked out; best job I ever had). Living off what he made as a PFC...? We would have starved.

top topics
<< 1   >>