It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Families Going Hungry as Foreign Invaders Get All Expenses Paid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Gerri Willis has as her guest Gunnery Sergeant Jessie Jane Duff, who raises the issue of the difficult time military personnel are having in just meeting the basic needs of their families.

The statistics are dismal, with 25% of active military requiring assistance to make ends meet, to the extent that many food banks are actually opening up locations on military installations.

What is happening to this country! I just don't get it. Oh wait a minute I get it now take care of the immigrants first before our own.

dcgazette.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The problem is that the people in power have realized they can make their selves into new-aged-gods. They can vote unlimited prosperity for their selves, use the people as slaves, and laugh as most of the "slaves" thank them for it.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
There are enough people in the military or with friends or family in the military or even just people that care ... that if they all stepped up and said this needs to stop there could be change.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

Yep, it's absolutely abhorrent. The U.S. government dishes out countless millions to illegal immigrants and aid to foreign countries while we have people here at home that have NO food, water, or any form of shelter. Even children are living on the street.

If it were up to me, I'd fix the problems at home first. It's like a sinking ship trying to rescue another sinking ship. In the end, everyone drowns.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The average pay for a soldier is $2.45 a hour

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
yes,its true,but you need to keep in mind that they knew what they were being paid upon enlistment.I looked into the navy back in 82 or so,starting pay was 750 a month! I made more working in a restuarant! Would I join up,knowing I could be shot and killed,and not afford a car? No way!And raise a family? The problem is,they don't get paid a living wage.Most join as a last resort,or as a way to pay for college later.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: blkcwbyhat

I wouldn't say most join because of the reasons you stated, its almost insulting to think some people think most service members join because its a last resort although some do. Most people that join are actually in the 17-20 demographic many of them right out of high school and lots more people join simply because they want to they always wanted to be a soldier, sailor, or marine etc.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
As a retired Coast Guardsman I can tell everyone, this is nothing new. The pay for lower enlisted people make is minimal. If they marry and have kids, you can bet both parents will work to cover most the cost. Military personnel do not always get a pay increase when the budget is passed. It maybe 2 or 3 years before there is a increase. When that happens it usually is only 1% or 2%. But even at that there is always a increase in tax at the same time. So typically a person may see a 20-40 dollar a month increase in their pay.
Military personal are not paided that well to begin with. It is a shame that the politicians cannot do better for the men and women that protect America.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I served in the U.S. Army from 2003 - 2006 and even then soldiers could qualify for food stamps (provided they had a family). The problem has ALWAYS been dismal pay for soldiers. Its a tradition going back since the dawn of time.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Military families goin hungry? How? Military men & women get monies every month just to buy food, & if they have a family they get even more money.

paycheck-chronicles.military.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Instead of trying to score political points by framing this as a false dichotomy, wouldn't the more useful thing be to question why service members are not being paid enough to live on without turning to assistance? There's nothing to be gained by conflating two unrelated issues.
edit on 2014-8-22 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Part of this is a Central Banking problem and not a low wages problem. In the very early 70's when I was in my pay was something like $325 a month (plus $100 for off base living) as an E-3. I was married and had one child. We lived off base in a 2 bedroom house, paid utilities bought our food and I drove 30 miles round trip the base every day.

We had enough money to survive with just my wages. The problem is (real) inflation and the dollars value loss due to the Fed manipulations.

edit on 710am3939am112014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Military families goin hungry? How? Military men & women get monies every month just to buy food, & if they have a family they get even more money.

Yes, the military member gets BAS. They do not get increased BAS if they have a family. The BAS is meant to cover only the active duty member's food costs, and that amount does not fluctuate based on number of dependents. The current BAS rate is $357.55 for enlisted.

Base pay increases with time served.
Housing allowance is adjusted according to the number of dependents as well as location.

As a general reply to the original post:

It can get really hard for some people, especially those families with a lower ranking service member. Also, I think this news story fails to take into consideration that most of the families who make very little and are struggling are also very young and have probably not quite mastered the art of budgeting. My stepdaughter is an E3 with less than two years in, with one dependent, and they do just fine for themselves (because she budgets well). My husband is E6, with several years in, and we do just fine. I don't even have to work, he has graciously let me return to school full time for a career change! We live on base housing though, because if we had to live 'out in town' we would probably be one of those hurting families mentioned in the OP, because the cost of living is so high here that our housing allowance would still leave us paying several hundred out of pocket each month (unless we wanted to spend about 4 hours a day commuting).

So, I can understand how some families struggle, and I empathize. BUT, it's not as hard as this video makes it out to be. You just have to prioritize and budget, just like everyone else in the working world.
edit on 22-8-2014 by MojaveBurning because: jesus christ i misspelled families like 12 times

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: MojaveBurning

So it doesn't increase with family, I always thought it did. It's just meant for the serviceman.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Yep, the only thing that increases with family is the housing allowance. And that has a cap on it, like you don't get more money if you have 5 kids or 1 kid. It's either "with dependents" or "without dependents"

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: nighthawk1954

The statistics are dismal, with 25% of active military requiring assistance to make ends meet, to the extent that many food banks are actually opening up locations on military installations.

Did you know that the current administration thinks that the military are grossly overpaid, because they are paid more than their civilian counterparts, who don't put their lives on the line for the idiots in the administration. The very people who are now using these soldiers/sailors/airmen as mercenaries for the ME stable oil rich governments who refuse to protect themselves from ISIS/ISIL for "religious" reasons, and so blackmail the US into it.

That is why during the Obama administration military pay raises have consistently been held below the rate of inflation, in effect cutting the worth of the salaries or in reality cutting their salaries
while making certain that people on welfare who they have made their voting slaves
get the equivalent of I believe it is now over $60K per year in total cash and benefits.

edit on 12Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:16:08 -0500pm82208pmk225 by grandmakdw because: sp

edit on 12Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:16:54 -0500pm82208pmk225 by grandmakdw because: da.. format

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

originally posted by: nighthawk1954

because they are paid more than their civilian counterparts,

That's not necessarily true. We have encountered several Marines who have left the military to pursue the exact same job with civilian contractors. They make much more money (including benefits) as civilians. I suppose that all depends on the specific job in question.

I know I sound like I am defending the administration in doing these pay cuts, but I don't actually support that! If the pay cuts become really significant, we will be hurting. My husband recently lost about $200 a month because they stopped an extra pay that his job had previously qualified for. I'm not going to lie, that hurt us a bit because we had not planned for that in our long term budgeting. But, we came up with a new budget, and are still getting by. If things don't get much worse, we'll do just fine. I always look at it like this: "There are always people worse off than we are". Now, with that said, would I be happy to see my husband paid more? Hell Yes! lol.

Also, as a side note, since you mentioned "putting their lives on the line", I felt I should remind everyone that when the service members are deployed, they do make significantly more money and hazard pay than when they are home.

Like any job, there are pros and cons.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

This is a HUGE issue, and it's only gotten worse since, oh, 2009 or so. As a member of a military family, I KNOW how hard it can be for people. We struggle with about 24 years in service, just to get by, and I know others that couldn't afford food at various times. The pay stinks, and the benefits are dwindling all the time. Recently, many medications that were previously covered by Tricare (which we PAY for, for those not aware) were deemed uncovered, and people simply can't get them any longer. Needed stuff. Someone wasn't kidding when he said he didn't like or trust the military.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: MojaveBurning

originally posted by: Swills

Yes, the military member gets BAS. They do not get increased BAS if they have a family. The BAS is meant to cover only the active duty member's food costs, and that amount does not fluctuate based on number of dependents. The current BAS rate is $357.55 for enlisted.

Base pay increases with time served.
Housing allowance is adjusted according to the number of dependents as well as location.

As a general reply to the original post:

It can get really hard for some people, especially those families with a lower ranking service member. Also, I think this news story fails to take into consideration that most of the families who make very little and are struggling are also very young and have probably not quite mastered the art of budgeting. My stepdaughter is an E3 with less than two years in, with one dependent, and they do just fine for themselves (because she budgets well). My husband is E6, with several years in, and we do just fine. I don't even have to work, he has graciously let me return to school full time for a career change! We live on base housing though, because if we had to live 'out in town' we would probably be one of those hurting families mentioned in the OP, because the cost of living is so high here that our housing allowance would still leave us paying several hundred out of pocket each month (unless we wanted to spend about 4 hours a day commuting).

So, I can understand how some families struggle, and I empathize. BUT, it's not as hard as this video makes it out to be. You just have to prioritize and budget, just like everyone else in the working world.

I can attest to this as well. When I was in the Navy, if my wife hadn't worked, our family would have qualified for food stamps - and I actually advanced very quickly (E-5 @ 1.5 years in).

And another thing Navy specific (Might also apply to the other branches when deployed, not sure though), when I was deployed out to sea the BAS was taken away as we were provided food on the boat... We did get Sea Pay, but it didn't offset the lost BAS so I actually made less money while away from the family.

I know one time while deployed we figured out what we actually earned based on the # of hours typically worked, and it was quite a bit less than minimum wage.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

while making certain that people on welfare who they have made their voting slaves get the equivalent of I believe it is now over $60K per year in total cash and benefits.

I'm going to have to ask for a source for this BS. I know people on welfare and they're not getting anywhere near this

top topics

<<   2 >>

join