It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cannabis Conspiracy

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye
Wrong again. Please do your research on THC as it has much more benefits besides "altering" the mind. Maybe your fight would be more worthwhile aguing against MSMBC, FOX, and CNN. They are the masters of "altering" the mind.

Here, I can help you with your search:

Multiple sclerosis symptoms

Spasticity. Based on the results of 3 high quality trials and 5 of lower quality, oral cannabis extract was rated as effective, and THC as probably effective, for improving patient's subjective experience of spasticity. Oral cannabis extract and THC both were rated as possibly effective for improving objective measures of spasticity.[21]

Centrally mediated pain and painful spasms. Based on the results of 4 high quality trials and 4 low quality trials, oral cannabis extract was rated as effective, and THC as probably effective in treating central pain and painful spasms.[21]

Bladder dysfunction. Based on a single high quality study, oral cannabis extract and THC were rated as probably ineffective for controlling bladder complaints in multiple sclerosis[21]

Neurodegenerative disorders

Huntington disease. No reliable conclusions could be drawn regarding the effectiveness of THC or oral cannabis extract in treating the symptoms of Huntington disease as the available trials were too small to reliably detect any difference[21]

Parkinson disease. Based on a single study, oral cannabis extract was rated probably ineffective in treating levodopa-induced dyskinesia in Parkinson disease.[21]

Alzheimer's disease. A 2011 Cochrane Review found insufficient evidence to conclude whether cannabis products have any utility in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.[22]

Other neurological disorders

Tourette syndrome. The available data was determined to be insufficient to allow reliable conclusions to be drawn regarding the effectiveness of oral cannabis extract or THC in controlling tics.[21]

Cervical dystonia. Insufficient data was available to assess the effectiveness of oral cannabis extract of THC in treating cervical dystonia.[21]

Epilepsy. Data was considered insufficient to judge the utility of cannabis products in reducing seizure frequency or severity.[21]

Other studies in humans

Evidence suggests that THC helps alleviate symptoms suffered both by AIDS patients, and by cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy, by increasing appetite and decreasing nausea.[23][24][25][26] It has also been shown to assist some glaucoma patients[citation needed] by reducing pressure within the eye, and is used in the form of cannabis by a number of multiple sclerosis patients, who use it to alleviate neuropathic pain and spasticity. The National Multiple Sclerosis Society is currently supporting further research into these uses.[27] Studies in humans have been limited by federal and state laws criminalizing marijuana.

In August 2009 a phase IV clinical trial by the Hadassah Medical Center in Jerusalem, Israel started to investigate the effects of THC on post-traumatic stress disorders.[28]

Research on THC has shown that the cannabinoid receptors are responsible for mediated inhibition of dopamine release in the retina.[29]

Several studies have been conducted with spinal injury patients and THC. Decreased tremor occurred in 2/5 patients in a 1986 double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover study.[30]

Yes I copied and pasted.

edit on 22-8-2014 by hoochymama23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

So your philosophy is there will always be people who a abuse cannabis, so it should be banned altogether. You would rather deprive everyone of the plant than tolerate the financial burden of the minority who would abuse it.

I understand your position, but it is not logical. With any substance, there will be some who overindulge. Fat, caffeine, sugar, alcohol -- you name it and someone will develop a psychological addiction.

When you get down to it, this is the inherent flaw in socialized healthcare. Not everyone will make the right choices with regard to the body. Pretending otherwise is not realistic...though I have never met a leftist who could also be described as a realist.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod
Ugh and people wonder why I grow/hunt/trap/fish so much of my own food lol. Sure it's hard work. But damnit, I know I am eating natural food!
The only good fast food up here is called donairs, and I eat that like 4 times a year lol. Pizza and burgers up here suck ass. Pizzarai pizza up here is like eating crap frozen pizza back in NY lol
edit on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 22:17:03 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
a reply to: Krazysh0t...it's a bad idea to release another intoxicating substance...

I hate to break it to you, but it was released a few million years ago - or whenever it started growing - and no government can control it, no matter how hard they try. Try they have, too!

Don't get in the way.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I just want to add that THC and cannabis is not as harmful to cognition and memory as alcohol, for instance, and THC is harmful to cannabis and cognition as memory and that harming cannabis is not as memorable as THC and cognition...

But seriously, it's not worth throwing anyone in jail over and criminalizing at least a tenth of the population... people make mistakes regarding all sorts of things and making responsible people suffer for the idiots is small minded and pointless.

People are finally realizing that criminalizing personal choices and victimless vices does nothing but keep the private prison industry humming.

I would really like to experience living in a free-er country... it was a fairly successful model for the first hundred plus years of U.S. history.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechUnique
ATS moderators seem a lot more relaxed on the subject of Cannabis now

And it's about time! This is ATS, not 'discussions on LEGAL conspiracies'. Good post brother.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: hoochymama23

I know about all that, but that doesn't remove the bad side effects from smoking.

I posted one link on the first page that contain the facts of the good and the bad, it's not all of them but some of them.

The use of marijuana for medicine is an awesome thing, but using it as a everyday "get away" for the public is not, that has been my whole point all along, but the amount of post that is comparing to other things and the complete ignorance of the negative sides are astounding.

The funny thing is i don't even care if it's legalized or not, just don't complain when we see another substance ruining life because people can't handle it.

Yeah i couldn't fall asleep, ironically i can't tell you why because of T and C

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: OpenMindedRealist

Is everyone completely missing my point.

I think it's A VERY NICE THING that it has medical benefits and it should be used as such, i think it's VERY BAD releasing to the public for having a stoner as SOME PEOPLE CAN'T HANDLE IT.

Only reason i post is because i don't ignore the negative sides as pretty much all of you has done so far, i know EVERYTHING about the negative sides from public use....I live in freaking Denmark the land of "do whatever you want", just don't bother other people.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TechUnique

Short Summary of why Mary Jane was demonized and made illegal:

Marijuana prohibition was created by the elites to prevent the plant from competing with synthetic forms of fiber, continuation of the police state, and the threat it poised to big Pharma.

In the 1930's Dow chemical and DuPont had created synthetic fibers for ropes and other products dominated by Hemp. marijuana needed to be banned so as to not interfere in the big profits from synthetic fibers being manufactured. The rich elites had and still do have many politicians paid off in the form of silly foundations, pacs, etc. Remember there are different rules for different people. The elites won not the common man.

After prohibition ended the continuation of the police state needed to continue to bring in the grand plan. It provides jobs for cops and terrorizes citizens. Plus the profits associated with illegal drugs is mind blowing. Building prisons, food, toiletries, uniforms, guns, gear, insurance companies (for rehab,and liabilities), drug testing, etc. Remember the 1 per centers own over half of all wealth in the world and have umbrella companies.

Finally Big Pharma was coming online in a large scale and Marijuana was a threat to profits. Marijuana has been proven in 100's of studies to cure ailments as it has for thousands of years. The most significant study to date is the 2005 UCLA study by Dr Tashkin I believe dates and name close to what I recall. The study was over the span of some two decades and found people who smoked pot mildly or moderately had no increase in developing cancer than people who never smoked it. The study was funded by the U.S. government and got virtually no press. Instead a New Zealand study about marijuana's harmful effects was getting all the attention. Further research has determined marijuana actually shrinks tumors.

So as many have said before, FOLLOW THE MONEY it will guide you to the truth. Turn the volume down and research the truth and avoid getting brainwashed in propaganda.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
If that was your post linking that article, in that same article it mentions that smoking it is actually good not bad. The actual smoke itself.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: hoochymama23

Sorry for repeating myself, the GOOD sides and the BAD sides, you also went straight for the GOOD side.

Really, i'm done, it's has been completely pointless discussing in this thread, the ignorance is strong....

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Your article states the following in regards to the smoke, on the good side I might add:

It's better for your lungs than tobacco.
It's better for your lungs than tobacco.
Screenshot via YouTube/FairfaxBiology
According to a study published in Journal of the American Medical Association in January, marijuana does not impair lung function and can even increase lung capacity.

Researchers looking for risk factors of heart disease tested the lung function of 5115 young adults over the course of 20 years. Tobacco smokers lost lung function over time, but pot users actually showed an increase in lung capacity.

The increased lung capacity may due to taking a deep breaths while inhaling the drug.

This is the article you linked.

According to your article it actually INCREASES lung capacity.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium
a reply to: TechUnique

It goes back to when LaGuardia was Mayor of New York City and His cronies (Rockefeller, J.P. Morgan) owned the wood in which paper came from. Check around 1929 Marijuana Tax Act. Some of the reasons were: "White women who smoke marihuana will end up with either jazz musicians and/or negroes."

BigPharma™ is now the biggest opponent because they can't make $$$ if You grow Your own medicine.

I can't be too long because My posts get edited.. I'll check back

It was the 1937 Marihuana Tax Act and The DuPont family and Andrew Mellon and William R. Hearst and countless other greedy bastards.

The Marijuana Tax Act of 1937, Pub. 238, 75th Congress, 50 Stat. 551 (Aug. 2, 1937) was a United States Act that placed a tax on the sale of cannabis. The H.R. 6385 act was drafted by Harry Anslinger and introduced by Rep. Robert L. Doughton of North Carolina, on April 14, 1937. The seventy-fifth Congress held hearings on April 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th, and May 4, 1937. Upon the congressional hearings confirmation, the H.R. 6385 act was redrafted as H.R. 6906 and introduced with House Report 792. The Act is now commonly referred to, using the modern spelling, as the 1937 Marijuana Tax Act. This act was overturned in 1969 in Leary v. United States, and was repealed by

Cannabinoid Brain Receptor
Harry J. Anslinger
Legal History
Cannabis Museum Barcelona
Harrison Narcotics Tax Act

I could go on and on and on and on....about this for eternity, but I'll stop. Wait! I never got started

edit on 8/23/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
The First International Opium Convention is when all the drug dealers got together...lol and came up with this crap:

The use of Indian hemp and the preparations derived therefrom may only be authorized for medical and scientific purposes. The raw resin (charas), however, which is extracted from the female tops of the cannabis sativa L, together with the various preparations (hashish, chira, esrar, diamba, etc.) of which it forms the basis, not being at present utilized for medical purposes and only being susceptible of utilisation for harmful purposes, in the same manner as other narcotics, may not be produced, sold, traded in, etc., under any circumstances whatsoever.

Ooohhh....just to have been a fly on the wall at that meeting

edit on 8/23/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Let me address the negative side effects listed on the Business Insider article.

1. It blocks memory formation.

Only while you are high, it's temporary. It's probably the reason why it helps prevent PTSD if used right after a tramatic event. Memories can take up to two hours to form. However studies seem inconclusive on the effect of use while the brain is developing. So don't let your kids use it.

2. It can mess up your reward system.

True, but a recent study suggests that the effect is only temporary and the brain adjusts back to normal after a while.

3. THC messes with your balance.

Again true, but only while you are high. It's kind of like being drunk, except not nearly as bad.

4. Cannabis use may increase the risk of depression.

In my life experience I have never seen someone get depressed while using cannabis. In fact suicide rates have dropped where medical marijuana has been legalized.

5. Intense anxiety, fear, distrust, or panic are common side effects.

This is true, some people have a bad reaction to cannabis. But it can also be strain related. Strains with little to no CBD and high in THC are much more likely to cause panic. I think it's best for new users to start with strains that have a decent amount of CBD in them.

6. Cannabis users may experiance psychosis.

This can also be true, but the same thing can be said for alcohol. Mostly caused by new users having too many ediables or people who are already off balanced mentally. Again I recommend strains with higher CBD.

7. Audio and visual hallucinations are common.

I wouldn't call them common. I used cannabis for over 10 years. Only had that happen once, and I don't know if it was from the cannabis or the morning glory seeds.

8. It robs you of sleep.

This might be true, I noticed when I used it heavily I wouldn't have dreams. But I countered that with a high dose of vitamin C before bed. Dreams came back and they were quite vivid.

9. Inhaling cannabis causes your heart rate to increase.

Yeah, that is true, but it is also strain dependent. Certain Sativas are known to get your heart going. I would avoid Sativas as a new user.

10. Can cause dry mouth.

Drink fluids or eat juicy fruits. Problem solved.

Those are all the negative side effects, and as you can see, none of them are that bad. Not nearly bad enough to justify keeping it illegal.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Bring the dam Tax back and let's get on with it!

This debate has gone on for long enough.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThePublicEnemyNo1

Bring the dam Tax back and let's get on with it!

This debate has gone on for long enough.

nice i spent many years growing weed and other plants...i would love to grow it for a living....i even had friends argue with me that i gave them hydro..lol i was growing in my backyard veggie garden

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: kotu44

No surprise that the list was published by "Business Insider" as if they are experts on the situation. They care about profits, and it shows. You could list just as many if not way more negative effects from alcohol or legal prescription drugs, yet they are encouraged and advertised all over the place. Weed has been practically demonized over the years. If you look back to the absurd Reefer Madness propaganda film from the 30s and then look at some of the "Truth" commercials from a few years back, it's obvious that there is an agenda going on to preserve profits. The list that Kratos posted says it all. It's never been about the people's best interests, it's about money, plain and simple.
edit on 23-8-2014 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   

People stop reading and believing negatives when they read obvious crepe like "hallucinogenic", "highly addictive" and "prevents sleep" with respect to cannabis.

There is unbiassed data available from the likes of David Nutt, who performs actual science devoid of propoganda. drugscience.org.uk

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join