It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cannabis Conspiracy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

That statement has no factual basis. Just because you perceive that someone is a stoner, does not mean they are under the influence of cannabis. Most frequent users do not behave like what the movies tell us 'potheads' behave like.

What you described is what annoys me about 90% of the people I meet, especially the younger crowd.
edit on 22-8-2014 by jrod because: typo gremlins

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TechUnique

Not sure if someone mentioned this...but hemp and cannabis are two different plants that are slightly related. Hemp is a production plant. Cannabis is what makes us "high". Hemp was going to spell the demise for industrial giants and the only way to get rid of it was to attack its cousin, marijuana. The black and white film "Reefer Madness" aimed to vilify marijuana, saying it drove people crazy and made them murderous. After the public uniformly decided that this was complete fact, Marijuana was made illegal and Hemp was tossed along with it. Hemp can be made into fuel, automotive bodies, dynamite, clothing, etc. There's politics and money behind this decision and no real intelligence.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: InfinityandBeyond

Nope, not true.

Hemp is a sub-species of cannabis. They are very closely related.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: kotu44

Well I think it would generally be safe to say the biggest contributing factor to the continued prohibition of marijuana is misinformation, a lot of it stemming from years of government propaganda which some almost still seem to take as an absolute truth to this day. Even though it is widely recognized the effects of alcohol and cigarettes are so much worse there is almost some sort of need to perpetuate the double standard.

Legalization has it's own pitfalls because the chances of full legalization are almost zero. If the government gets there hands on it and try's to turn marijuana into a large scale industry like tobacco with controls on the strength and breeding it might fall apart in there face. There would be no reason to buy the legal marijuana at a hiked up price that is also worse than the cheaper marijuana you could buy on the street. True legalization would mean anyone could throw a seed in the backyard and cut it down a few months later.

To be fair there is misinformation from both sides, some people downplay the risks a little more than they probably should. To say marijuana has no addictive properties is some what of a lie because there can be a psychological addiction to almost anything. Hell, people get addicted to junk food/take out and get fat and I don't see the DEA making McDonald's a schedule 1 substance
And any type of smoke can be dangerous and trigger asthma or other long term problem's but smoking is not the only way to use marijuana.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkItZero

Legalization will happen because the population will demand it. Right now there are more people in the US who are under 35 than over. This demographic is overwhelmingly in favor of legalization. In a decade, many of those who are so adamantly opposed to reform will have retired and many of those who voters who support Prohibition will have died. The will be replaced with a younger generation of voters that want Prohibition to end.

Another major factor is legalization is many states will look at Colorado as an example and capitalize on the potential tax revenue that legalization will generate.

Wait a decade and we'll see. Like I said, my prediction is legalization in less than a decade for the US.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
I find it ironic that people are ignoring my first post because it contains negative sides of cannabis, but i guess they forgot to scroll down and see the positives are there to.

Your post is being ignored because the page you linked had a bunch of false negative aspects of Marijuana consumption.
Hallucinations? Robbing you of sleep? Come on, really?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
here is one for you all..i will cut and paste for lazyness sake.. legend has it that the Buddha lived on one cannabis seed a day in the six years of ascetic discipline prior to his enlightenment. But the involvement of cannabis in some types of Buddhist practice is more than just mythical, and it is contemporary as well as historical. For example, the Tantric Buddhists in the Tibetan Himalayas use cannabis ritually to deepen their meditation and raise awareness, according to Harvard botanical professor Richard Evans Schultes and '___' discoverer Albert Hofmann, two leading experts on psychoactive plants.

(post by Pandaram removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

Prohibition is irrelevant, alchohol is good for a lot of things excessive use is the problem, the same goes for cannabis, good for a lot of things, excessive use is the problem, so same same.

Smoking is unhealthy no matter what you smoke so comparing tobacco to cannabis is same same.

Facts are that some people can control their habits, others can't, and in the long run it's a bad idea to release another intoxicating substance and it does have bad sides next to the good, the bad sides are the ones everyone is ignoring, especially in here, i wonder why

I used to disagree with this attitude.
Changed my mind about that now.
Excessive use is a real problem. It's physically addictive. You think weaning off Paxil is bad? Try weaning off this.

The only use it has for cancer is it increases appetite and helps with nausea. For awhile .... until addiction sets in. Then you get sick and lose your appetite because you need some. Because it's not accepted in society, you are waiting for people to # off to light up. Horrible stuff. I never want to use it ever again. Once in awhile at a party is ok. It's when you get around people who keep passing it to you. Easy to do where I live, bud capital of the world near Vancouver. It's everywhere and very easy to get. Too easy.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Indeed that's another thing, it can open you up to meditate and get in touch with other realms.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet

Prohibition is irrelevant, alchohol is good for a lot of things excessive use is the problem, the same goes for cannabis, good for a lot of things, excessive use is the problem, so same same.

Smoking is unhealthy no matter what you smoke so comparing tobacco to cannabis is same same.

Facts are that some people can control their habits, others can't, and in the long run it's a bad idea to release another intoxicating substance and it does have bad sides next to the good, the bad sides are the ones everyone is ignoring, especially in here, i wonder why

Excessive use is a real problem. It's physically addictive. You think weaning off Paxil is bad? Try weaning off this.

The only use it has for cancer is it increases appetite and helps with nausea. For awhile .... until addiction sets in. Then you get sick and lose your appetite because you need some. Because it's not accepted in society, you are waiting for people to # off to light up. Horrible stuff. I never want to use it ever again. Once in awhile at a party is ok. It's when you get around people who keep passing it to you. Easy to do where I live, bud capital of the world near Vancouver. It's everywhere and very easy to get. Too easy.

Get sick because you need some? Lose appetite? I'm assuming you mean "A cancer patient who is medicating with MJ" would experience that, simply because they don't have their medicine. Comparing it to Paxil withdrawal, really?

I was an extremely heavy smoker for the better part of the last two decades. I quit cold turkey (for a job) about 3 weeks ago, almost a month now. Guess who had no negative symptoms (besides my quick temper and insomnia returning).....THIS GUY RIGHT HERE!

Literally the only time that over use of MJ would be bad is if it:

A) Interferes with your job. If you are too high to work then you're doing it wrong. If you lose your motivation to sustain your employment, you're doing it wrong.

B) Doesn't fit into your budget. If you're buying weed and finding yourself struggling to fill your fridge with food or your tank with gas, or finding it difficult to pay your bills, you're doing it wrong.

C) Puts you in a situation where you face consequences from the law or other means, like losing your job. But at this point in time, most people acquiring MJ are breaking the law and risking trouble, so I see point C as a non-issue in the grand scheme.

I will never say that everyone needs to smoke/intake MJ, but in a VAST majority of cases, the 'users' are fully responsible, highly successful individuals. Hell, you probably can't tell a pot head just by passing them in the street, and you damn sure couldn't tell one by their income or job title. I have members of my family who do highly technical work for very big companies and MJ doesn't seem to have any effect on their higher brain function. In fact, it makes day to day interactions with the numerous dillholes in the office.

Either way, your post is full of # and anyone with any experience with MJ will see that.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

-- snip --
-- snip --

Sorry, but I have to take issue with that one. I was terribly disappointed on the Dr. Oz show the day they debated medicinal cannabis. One of the guest that was presented as representing the "Establishment" side of the issue made the remark that nothing that had to be smoked to have beneficial health effects should ever be approved...

Not ONE of the guests on the other side of the panel pointed out that not only is smoking not needed, for some uses it is detrimental.

To get to your point, though, it isn't a fair comparison. Mix some cupcake batter and bake a teaspoon of one in one cupcake and a teaspoon of the other in the second one and then get two volunteers (actually, one volunteer and one victim) and see who is losing their lunch in about 15-20 minutes.

I used to love Marlboros, but I quit back in '72. Somebody can offer me one at a wedding or a funeral and I'll be social and smoke one with them, but I don't experience the urge to buy a pack on the way home. Tobacco is just plain not good for you...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Speaking of propaganda, i hap;en to be watching Reefer Madness, the granddaddy of cannabis propaganda...worth a laugh now, but back then it was the definitive article

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaosComplex

Get sick because you need some? Lose appetite? I'm assuming you mean "A cancer patient who is medicating with MJ" would experience that, simply because they don't have their medicine. Comparing it to Paxil withdrawal, really?

I was an extremely heavy smoker for the better part of the last two decades. I quit cold turkey (for a job) about 3 weeks ago, almost a month now. Guess who had no negative symptoms (besides my quick temper and insomnia returning).....THIS GUY RIGHT HERE!

A) Interferes with your job. If you are too high to work then you're doing it wrong. If you lose your motivation to sustain your employment, you're doing it wrong.

B) Doesn't fit into your budget. If you're buying weed and finding yourself struggling to fill your fridge with food or your tank with gas, or finding it difficult to pay your bills, you're doing it wrong.

C) Puts you in a situation where you face consequences from the law or other means, like losing your job. But at this point in time, most people acquiring MJ are breaking the law and risking trouble, so I see point C as a non-issue in the grand scheme.

I will never say that everyone needs to smoke/intake MJ, but in a VAST majority of cases, the 'users' are fully responsible, highly successful individuals. Hell, you probably can't tell a pot head just by passing them in the street, and you damn sure couldn't tell one by their income or job title. I have members of my family who do highly technical work for very big companies and MJ doesn't seem to have any effect on their higher brain function. In fact, it makes day to day interactions with the numerous dillholes in the office.

Either way, your post is full of # and anyone with any experience with MJ will see that.

actually it affects people in different ways...for me personally violet's description was spot on....so being full of # as you put it comes from your end assuming your experience would be the same for everyone

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

Nope, not true. An appetite stimulant is NOT the only medicinal use for cannabis.

There is a strain called Charlotte's Web, it is very low in THC and high in some other organic chemical. It has been proven to help control seizures. Some regard it as a 'miracle drug' because of how effective it is.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: amazing

That statement has no factual basis. Just because you perceive that someone is a stoner, does not mean they are under the influence of cannabis. Most frequent users do not behave like what the movies tell us 'potheads' behave like.

What you described is what annoys me about 90% of the people I meet, especially the younger crowd.

I'm serious. I know lots' of people that smoke pot and dozens more that did when I was younger. They were all like that and the ones that smoke pot now are like that now. Can't remember nothing, no focus, zoning out when talking to them, That describes 90% of the potheads I know. It's not a good thing, I think it should be your right but so should drinking and we know how annoying drunks are. Same thing. I hate being around people that smoke pot.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I find it ironic that people are ignoring my first post because it contains negative sides of cannabis, but i guess they forgot to scroll down and see the positives are there to.

Your post is being ignored because the page you linked had a bunch of false negative aspects of Marijuana consumption.
Hallucinations? Robbing you of sleep? Come on, really?

Cough BS cough'.

If the negative on that sites is false so is the positive, but that is not the case, they are all facts and true.

I could say i'm a living proof but that could not be proved by me saying it, but yes really..

That post and the star count above and below it, is a clear proof of people denying the negative facts, if we removed the negative from that article i would be on the same star count as everyone above and below because it then only contain the positive, and that is all people want to hear in this discussion.

It's like if people(in here) haven't experienced it them self it must not exist, then it's made in to being government propaganda, you won't see people come out in the open and admit that they have experienced these symptoms, it's the same as with alcoholics, they stay silent , though i'm not afraid, i'm just restricted by the T and C.

I posted that link because it's known and "proven" facts, the good and the bad....
edit on 22-8-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Yep, CBD is quite amazing. It is responsible for most of the medical benefits of Cannabis. (I think it is somewhere around 80%) Helps with: skin cancer, breast cancer, brain tumors, COPD, asthma, MRSA, seizures, arthritis, IBS, MS and a few other things I can't remember at the moment. All of these things have studies to back them up. Oh and it doesn't make you high.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

actually it affects people in different ways...for me personally violet's description was spot on....so being full of # as you put it comes from your end assuming your experience would be the same for everyone

You got sick, like vomiting? From the LACK of MJ? I don't believe that at all.

I'm not basing this solely on my experiences as a smoker either. I've been involved with assisting people in detoxing from various chemical dependencies, so you're right when you say my experience won't be like everyone else's. Never once did quitting MJ result in any physical sickness. I've seen the horrendous withdrawals from SSRI's like Paxil, benzo's like Xanax, opiates like heroin and the various pain killers in the class, and in the later time of my work I saw a few cases of people using designer drugs like 25-I and other lesser known drugs. SSRI's, while probably the most mild of the group withdrawal wise, still need to be tapered down to avoid some serious health issues. MJ never once caused much more than an irritated, restless client with a bad attitude even with a sudden stop in intake.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Here we go again with the pro pot propaganda. I'm so sick of these threads. I've voted for medical weed in my state and it's turned into a joke. I wish I would have never done it. Weed is not harmless I smoke the stuff for years. I have an aunt thats been smoking since the 1960's. I've experienced the negative effects of this drug first hand and I've seen it's effects on long term users. It is far from harmless. I will not be voting to legalize it.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join