It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cannabis Conspiracy

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: alienDNA

Funny thing is I'm not a "stoner"... I just think making things illegal because of certain folks preferences and philosophies is draconian and fascistic... fascist.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

its illegal for a reason man. A damned good one.
Granted it has various health benefits. Which is why it is LEGAL as medicine in parts of the world.
But as a streetdrug, dont take it lightly.

you can use it for 1 year... 2 years.. everything is fine.. 3 years.. fine.
then BAM.
irreversible mental issues. Worth it? Not sure.

People glorify weed too much. Its not as safe as people think. Just cause youve had the luck of being perfectly fine, dont mean others hasnt had the bad luck of going down the psychiatric rabbit-hole.
edit on 23-8-2014 by alienDNA because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I'll agree with that to a point... different people, different reactions.

I know a good score of people that use it on weekends, or at least not every day, and have no detrimental effects at all... in fact I'd say they are remarkably mentally and physically healthy... I know fewer who use it all the time and seem fine on all standards of a successful life, but I also know a handful that use it all the darn time and it IS detrimental for them... however, they would be using something else if it was not available, and alcohol or heroin don't seem like good alternatives, do they?

The thing is people use substances to alter their minds...always have, always will... it's just a math equation of harm to benefit, and weed comes out on the benefit end for most... and we can't punish or deprive due to a minority's wishes, especially if it doesn't hurt anyone but the user.

ETA also, if legal, real studies and discussion can be had.. .with all psychoactive substances there are dangers and they should be discussed without hyperbole and lies spread due to personal tastes. Making something illegal doesn't remove it, it just makes more criminals...

edit on 8/23/2014 by Baddogma because: add fix

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

As you said. People are gonna use drugs. No denying that.
All Im saying is that many people seem to think cannabis is perfectly safe, and that there is no reason it should be illegal.
Well you know what?
Cocaine and Heroin are actually completely non-toxic to the system in sporadic and non day-to-day usage.
Just as cannabis is.

But use it regularily and it WILL cause problems. Just like cannabis.
Im not saying Cannabis is worse or better than any other drug.
Im saying it is JUST like any other drug.

It might not have any toxic effects like alcohol - but it DO have psychological side-effects like for example acid.
Its not all-round safe, and its not a completely whack idea to have it being illegal.

edit on 23-8-2014 by alienDNA because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TechUnique
You can guarantee that if the government could find a way to tax it , they would legalise it overnight

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

As someone who was addicted to pain meds I hear you clearly.

I also had experience with weed and now relegate it to an occasional art movie enhancer as it clouded me too much.

So yeah, it is not problem free for many... I just really am against knee-jerk prohibition that does nothing but put decent folks in jail.. and I know FAR more victims of the drug war than victims of drugs.

I'm for open, free discussion, use and most importantly, education... that's the only reasonable answer I can see.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Well I come back to the thread and see we have retained a resident smartass who likes to call people names and rambles incessantly. A know it all who doesn't...

Moving on..."xxxxXXX"...your not the go-to source of knowledge for anyone. Your telling us what "WILL" happen? This planet?

I call BS!

If what you speak were true the evidence would speak for itself. Legalization wouldn't be moving forward. If I want to hear half-truths that are fueled by ignorance I'll just attend a southern baptist church.

I bet those who indulge are happier than you on their worst day....

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Big pharma took over medical education. Pharmacology is a required part of the program. Natural alternatives aren't even discussed.

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: Power_Semi

The same 'doctors' who will tell you that cannabis oil will not work or the same ones that told you Vioxx and other bad medicine that has been recalled is perfectly safe.

There are too many inept doctors who are nothing but peons for Big Pharma. The evidence for many medicinal uses of the plant is overwhelming.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
**ATTENTION**

As per the T&C:

16e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities, specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, discussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any Post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances, legal or otherwise: discussing personal use or personal experiences as the result of such substances is not allowed in any form.

Talk about PERSONAL USAGE will NOT be tolerated, continued posts will result in posting bans, that could lead to account termination after review by staff.

~Tenth
ATS Super Mod

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

The only people who go crazy on cannabis are the people who are already crazy or are going to be crazy. Those people shouldn't be using mind alter substances in the first place. For the everyday person cannabis has no major negative side effect. Only paranoia if you do too much not knowing what to expect. People should respect it, because it can be strong, but it shouldn't be illegal.

I should make it clear tho, CBD is different. THC is what makes crazy people feel more crazy. CBD counters that, and is actually a great anti-psychotic.
edit on 23-8-2014 by kotu44 because: edited for T&C compliance

edit on 23-8-2014 by kotu44 because: fixed a typo

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienDNA

its illegal for a reason man. A damned good one.
Granted it has various health benefits. Which is why it is LEGAL as medicine in parts of the world.
But as a streetdrug, dont take it lightly.

you can use it for 1 year... 2 years.. everything is fine.. 3 years.. fine.
then BAM.
irreversible mental issues. Worth it? Not sure.

People glorify weed too much. Its not as safe as people think. Just cause youve had the luck of being perfectly fine, dont mean others hasnt had the bad luck of going down the psychiatric rabbit-hole.

Umm, could you provide any actual SCIENTIFIC, PEER REVIEWED proof of your claims, or??

What "irreversible mental issues" are you even talking about? There are so many....

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienDNA

As you said. People are gonna use drugs. No denying that.
All Im saying is that many people seem to think cannabis is perfectly safe, and that there is no reason it should be illegal.
Well you know what?
Cocaine and Heroin are actually completely non-toxic to the system in sporadic and non day-to-day usage.
Just as cannabis is.

But use it regularily and it WILL cause problems. Just like cannabis.
Im not saying Cannabis is worse or better than any other drug.
Im saying it is JUST like any other drug.

It might not have any toxic effects like alcohol - but it DO have psychological side-effects like for example acid.
Its not all-round safe, and its not a completely whack idea to have it being illegal.

Where are you getting this information? Cannabis is NOTHING like acid, not even close.

You're clearly misinformed on the effects of Cannabis. You really should educate yourself before spewing such nonsense.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: knightsofcydonia

Here is a research report from the American Chemical Society.

www.sciencedaily.com...

"Source:

American Chemical Society

Summary:

Here's another reason to "keep off the grass." Researchers report that marijuana smoke contains significantly higher levels of several toxic compounds -- including ammonia and hydrogen cyanide -- than tobacco smoke and may therefore pose similar health risks. The scientists found that ammonia levels were 20 times higher in the marijuana smoke than in the tobacco smoke, while hydrogen cyanide, nitric oxide and certain aromatic amines occurred at levels 3-5 times higher in the marijuana smoke, they say."

Also, regarding dependency & addiction:

"Although some people question the conceptof marijuana dependence or addiction, diagnostic, epidemiological, laboratory,and clinical studies clearly indicate that the condition exists, is important, andcauses harm (Budney, 2006; Budney and Hughes, 2006; Copeland, 2004; Roffmanand Stephens, 2006)."

archives.drugabuse.gov...

Although marijuana does have more of some carcinogens it is still considered as less dangerous because they have to be activated first.

Thus, despite potentially higher levels of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons found in cannabis smoke compared to tobacco smoke (dependent on what part of the plant is smoked), the THC present in cannabis smoke should exert a protective effect against pro-carcinogens that require activation. In contrast, nicotine activates some CYP1A1 activities, thus potentially increasing the carcinogenic effects of tobacco smoke [24].
Source

Here's the summary for those of us that don't read medical gibberish, however, if you can at least grasp the concept of it there is a lot more info at the link.

In conclusion, while both tobacco and cannabis smoke have similar properties chemically, their pharmacological activities differ greatly. Components of cannabis smoke minimize some carcinogenic pathways whereas tobacco smoke enhances some. Both types of smoke contain carcinogens and particulate matter that promotes inflammatory immune responses that may enhance the carcinogenic effects of the smoke. However, cannabis typically down-regulates immunologically-generated free radical production by promoting a Th2 immune cytokine profile. Furthermore, THC inhibits the enzyme necessary to activate some of the carcinogens found in smoke. In contrast, tobacco smoke increases the likelihood of carcinogenesis by overcoming normal cellular checkpoint protective mechanisms through the activity of respiratory epithelial cell nicotine receptors. Cannabinoids receptors have not been reported in respiratory epithelial cells (in skin they prevent cancer), and hence the DNA damage checkpoint mechanism should remain intact after prolonged cannabis exposure. Furthermore, nicotine promotes tumor angiogenesis whereas cannabis inhibits it. It is possible that as the cannabis-consuming population ages, the long-term consequences of smoking cannabis may become more similar to what is observed with tobacco. However, current knowledge does not suggest that cannabis smoke will have a carcinogenic potential comparable to that resulting from exposure to tobacco smoke.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

It is illegal because the oligarchy saw it as a threat to their profits. It has been kept illegal as a means of control.

Don't worry, it will be legal in less than a decade here in the US, regardless if you like it or not. Colorado started what will become a domino effect.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: MasterOfTheDamned

Tar is the worst ingredient in cigarettes. Resin from MJ is much worse.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I cant help but notice that age seems to be a factor in breaking down the social demographic to see who is for/against recreational legalization.

Many of the same people who supported legalization in the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's are against it today.

Any guesses as to why that might be?
edit on 23-8-2014 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join