It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard Researcher on Aging: There's no 'limit on the human lifespan'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
You will find a lot of answers on this website
...It is the best research I found so far on the subject ...
greenray4ever.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I think I've read aging comes from garbage that collects in our cells and their maintenance crews cannot handle the load and so the life giving machinery becomes increasingly clogged until the the cell dies. What I read suggested nanomachines might be able to solve the problem by cleaning up and keeping the cells going strong.

However I think the more accepted view is aging is "designed" into us by evolution, as opposed to being something evolution hasn't mastered. In effect, I think we live "forever" through each other by reproducing and said rough copies of ourselves continue our legacy.

One thing that's always interested me is a 30-40 year old woman and a 60 year old man can produce a new life. So a old man and a nearly middle age woman possess the cellular machinery to produce youth.

My opinion is if we didn't die we'd still have to change to cope. Changing means our identity would change dramatically every X years. So we'd be like a different person every X years. The fact we DON'T live forever means we can hold onto our identity for eternity and even though we die we can find satisfaction in knowing other people (especially in sum) are what we approximately would have been had we lived long enough.

Sorry to hear about the OP having pain. There's so much of that in the world. Evolution probably requires it. I for one welcome the onset of a painless (hopefully meaningful) immortal life, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I read a novel where one of the characters was offered immortality but she declined. Why? I think because the people she had loved had died and she couldn't let go of the fact any imitation of them can't actually be them. She also felt like her living forever would not be HER.
edit on 23-8-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

My question is, with 6 billion inhabitants on this earth and growing, why the heck would we be working hard at extending lifespans by multiples which will just create even more pressure on our resources?

because this kind of thing will not be for the masses only a select few

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

This article comes with a video that is very interesting and worth to watch. My interest in this study is not on aging, but rather the regenerative attributes of some of the substances this scientist has been working with which help also in recovering from injuries, and can also help prevent or even delay diseases such as cancer and Alzheimer's.

Great article! I have descended from a line of centenarians. At my age of 32, I still have the looks and the activeness of a teen even from among my race.

The most remarkable thing about me is that I could fully recover from colds (including foreign mutations) in just a matter of hours without any medication. I never had any infection my entire life in any open wounds I received despite not using antibiotics, nor anything to disinfect wounds apart from water.

I am also completely immune to flu (including foreign strains) and like colds, could fully recover in just hours without any medication and often the symptoms are so mild, it doesn't significantly affect my daily activities.

The only health problems I have are these pesky optical migraines or ringing in my ears, both followed by headaches, sometimes, partial paralysis which seem to only manifest in hot climates or when it's too bright. I never had any of these problems for two years when I was in New Zealand where the temperature, never gets above 30'c and it's cold most time of the year and the sun isn't so bright.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677
a reply to: OneManArmy
My IQ used to be above 130, but I would hate to see what I score these days LOL.

Just a remark: IQ tests compensate for age. You actually get extra IQ points for age.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

No kidding? Heck, I must be a genius by now LOL

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

There's a lot of nonsense being said about age and intelligence. Yes, when you're older it is less easy to solve problems in novel situations. But on the other hand you have a lot of experience to compensate for that. In general your intelligence is almost a constant during most of your adult life and only declines gradually when you become VERY old. But that's only true for those that do not actively work to maintain their abilities. Much can be done to preserve your abilities, even when you're older: do it the same way you preserve physical abilities, use what you have. But in many cases, old-timers seem to believe they have nothing to gain from further study anymore: why bother, "my life is almost over". For them I include this video.

I believe that the most important thing for seniors like myself is keeping that brain going. Richard M. Smith (* 1923) acquired his Ph.D. when 88 years old.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

I still work the ole brain. I like games and chess, I still read and I like websites such as ATS that either teach me new things or make me think at the least. There is a lot of misinformation as well as outright BS floating around here, so I get to research to either discover the truth or to debunk nonsense.

My memory, on the other hand, is less than sharp. It's almost like my hard drive is full and any new stuff I add just falls out or pushes other stuff out. lol

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Buddist monks are supost to live a long time.
at 12pm mid day the dont eat till about 4am.

it ia All of what you eat.
They! put a Lot of evil stuff in are food.
so cheak every thin you eat.

if you put all thet effert in to health
then eat a big mac buger.
you are wasting your time.
satan only knows whats in a big mac.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Nairda

Another great website which can help a bit... :
www.longecity.org...

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: R_Clark

I don't need no stinking website!

I am planning on living forever. So far so good......

top topics

<< 1   >>

join