It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard Researcher on Aging: There's no 'limit on the human lifespan'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   

It was Sinclair's research on resveratrol, a molecule found in grapes, that made headlines a decade ago when it showed promising results in keeping overfed mice as healthy as lean mice. Sinclair even chose to test resveratrol on himself, something he has been doing for the past 10 years, and he says he's feeling fit and healthy. Likewise, his parents, who are in their 70s, report similar results from taking resveratrol.

Today, Sinclair has taken his research even further. By prematurely aging mice, he is able to test new molecules on them in an attempt to return them to their younger, healthier state. He's hopeful that the molecules will one day help prevent or delay diseases like cancer and Alzheimer's in humans.

Harvard Researcher on Aging: There's no 'limit on the human lifespan'

This article comes with a video that is very interesting and worth to watch. My interest in this study is not on aging, but rather the regenerative attributes of some of the substances this scientist has been working with which help also in recovering from injuries, and can also help prevent or even delay diseases such as cancer and Alzheimer's.

I have an injury on the left brachial plexus, it's called a severe left brachial plexopathy, which was cause by a work accident. Because of this injury I have had to take prescribed medication for many years and some of these are not only too strong, but they also have many negative side effects including affecting my thought process. I decided to stop taking those drugs, such as methadone, many years ago after realizing what was happening, however there are others I still have to take because this injury can put me in pain and in bed for a long time without being able to do much. My doctor agreed with the conclusion I reached on stopping taking the stronger drugs.

But that still isn't enough for me since I prefer being completely off any type of drug, so for a long time I have also been looking at other alternatives, still have to use gabapentin among others but they are not as strong as methadone. I rather have pain than allow a drug like methadone control me.

Anyways, I have tried acupuncture, which didn't work but it could be because I need to see a real expert from China. Also tried every procedure doctors thought could help. For a long time I have also looked at other, more benign alternatives and started taking resveratrol after doing intense research on it. Started taking it 2 months ago and noticed that indeed it does help with the pain. After noticing that resveratrol was helping with the pain it was my decision to stop taking the prescription drugs I have been taking for years but only for 3-4 days. I made this decision because at the same time I did the 3 day water fasting, which I did for 4 days instead. During the water fasting, wasn't eating anything at all for 4 days, the pain subsided considerably. But of course I knew that the fast could not continue since we do need sustenance, and also know it is a fact that doing water fasting for too long can cause permanent damage to organs, not to mention that I weight 145lbs which is about what I should weight according to my height so don't have too much extra fat that would allow fasting any longer. I would not recommend anyone to try fasting for a week, or any longer since this does have also many detrimental side effects.

After getting off the water fast some of the pain returned, so I will be trying intermittent water fasting while continuing to use resveratrol. I won't name any companies, but I have to tell you it does help a lot, and it's cheaper than many other drugs which have a lot of negative side effects. I am hoping that with time resveratrol, or whatever other substance is found can help in healing my injury, because I tell you, it really sucks being in bed and in pain. More so to someone like myself who loves the outdoors and being active.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I do love antioxidants. I take this one when my budget allows.

There were articles that said antioxidants we're not good for lung diseases.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Rumor has it...young blood put into an old person's body will regenerate them, even repairing neurons and cells. Some people believe this is why so many children go missing and how TPTB behind the scenes stick around for so long.

The plasma is all that is necessary however - that is the plasma from literal young peoples blood.

This resveratrol certainly seems interesting. I had not heard of it before - thanks for bringing it here.

Personally I megadose some Liposomal Vitamin C everyday to stay feeling better - around 1 - 2.5g per day. Has worked wonders for me.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Research conducted at the Copenhagen University was published last year confirming this…. HOWEVER, they also found out that the use of resveratrol actually negated the benefits amongst elderly men doing regular exercise.
In other words… if you were taking resveratrol you would not gain anything from doing 3 weekly runs.

This makes sense since anti oxidants would probably cause a lower number of red blood cells and exercise would make the spleen produce more red blood cells.

So… nothing comes without a price. Personally I would rather exercise than trying to prolong my life with resveratrol.

translate.google.com... tp%3A%2F%2Fnyheder.ku.dk%2Falle_nyheder%2F2013%2F2013.7%2Fantioxidanter_oedelaegger_motion_for_aeldre_maend%2F&edit-text=&act=url" target="_blank" class="postlink">Antioxidant destroys the benefits of exercise for older men
edit on 22/8/14 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype
Rumor has it...young blood put into an old person's body will regenerate them, even repairing neurons and cells. Some people believe this is why so many children go missing and how TPTB behind the scenes stick around for so long.

I guess Elizabeth Báthory was on to something. She was doing it wrong by not injecting it however. I can see this, from what I know about molecular biology it is very probable. Ethical? No, but possible.

edit on 22-8-2014 by Pimpintology because: of fluoride!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Since some cover the sciences ill go the other route. There was a fringe video I was watching about human DNA that delved into how DNA is broken. I think it was an ancient alien episode so take it bow u want.

They talked about human life span being limited because our DNA is broken. Supposedly our DNA was a loop, for lack of a better word, which allowed humans to live for a very very long time. As things progressed our actions caused issues with our DNA causing it to degrade to the point we are at now.

Normally I would error on the side of science but considering science still does not understand why we need to sleep ill keep an open mind. Supposedly monoatomic gold had a positive affect on human cells.

Anyways I thought I would throw this out there. If its not your focus then please ignore.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: flice

So… nothing comes without a price. Personally I would rather exercise than trying to prolong my life with resveratrol.

But the thing is I take resveratrol not to prolong life, but to help heal my injury, and so far it does help relieving pain.

BTW, I do not own any type of stocks on any company that makes resveratrol. I am informing other members who might benefit from it.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

Personally I megadose some Liposomal Vitamin C everyday to stay feeling better - around 1 - 2.5g per day. Has worked wonders for me.

Careful with that. A sudden cessation can lead to the rapid on-set of scurvy.

a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Do you live close enough to North Carolina to get there and see a doctor I know? If yes ... feel free to PM me.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

He might like to tell my hips that as I have had one replaced and await for the other to be done also. I eate a good diet with anti oxidants and many say I don't look my age, but its more in one's head I think than my hips would allow me to say my body.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
lol, would like to concur with you.... Wish my brain would listen to that story. As though having a (inoperable) brain tumor that screws with all my peripheral nervous system is not enough, now I have developed another condition (as yet the neurologists are battling to define it), with similar effect on my muscular and nervous system that has nothing to do with the tumor, so in total I am totally dependent on my own designed gadget that keeps on shocking my brain, and giving me at least some functionality. Evolutionary I am past my designed age, evolution only cares about reproductive age, and don't care what happens after that, so I can see my body is starting to break down, like an old car, even though people still keep on telling me I look like a person in my mid-thirties.
a reply to: Shiloh7

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I've known about resveratrol for many years. It's one of those health products that may or may not work, but what do I know... My friend has a packaging company setup to buy purified resveratrol and repackage it into a brand after being assayed. It comes from grapes (wine etc.) or some kind of grass, I forget which, but it's more commonly from grass. Similar to how sugar usually comes from sugar beets instead of sugar cane depending where you live (or corn syrup haha)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Honestly though, who really wants to live forever?

I certainly dont.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
Since some cover the sciences ill go the other route. There was a fringe video I was watching about human DNA that delved into how DNA is broken. I think it was an ancient alien episode so take it bow u want.

They talked about human life span being limited because our DNA is broken. Supposedly our DNA was a loop, for lack of a better word, which allowed humans to live for a very very long time. As things progressed our actions caused issues with our DNA causing it to degrade to the point we are at now.

Normally I would error on the side of science but considering science still does not understand why we need to sleep ill keep an open mind. Supposedly monoatomic gold had a positive affect on human cells.

Anyways I thought I would throw this out there. If its not your focus then please ignore.

I have read that our DNA is damaged by radiation, which in turn effects the replication process.
Over time the damage becomes sufficient enough to cause things like cancer, aging and birth defects.
Especially in the modern world where there is more radiation than ever. Hence the massive rise in cancer.

I dont think the human race is evolving, I think its very much a case of devolution, as the programming that makes up all of us is slowly but surely corrupted.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
O thr is one limit. The brain.

I mean by the time I hit 60 which is another 30 plus years, I'll probably be one senile, old bat from hell.

I'd hate to see God...I mean, that guy been around since the beginning.
No wonder why Gods so grouchy, and just sleeps all the time. Wars, countries, planets exploding.

And that guy still snoring.

Not only that, plus the emotions and experience that could go with immortality.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
This is a good area of research the guy is doing. I actually was able to completely understand this research and understand how to use some of this information since I have been researching what he is talking about. The side effects of this research can cause some problems, I am trying to find how to neutralize these side effects but research is sketchy on this subject since everyone is looking the other way at how to slow the aging process instead of reversing it. We could live a real long time, but not with all the changes in chemistry in the foods today. It would be very critical to monitor our metabolic state and chosen foods to increase the couple of chemicals to balance the equasion.

What I am wondering, that is why I need to keep watching his research, is to what happens at the time the control rat dies in relationship to changes in the other rats metabolism. Is there another metabolic change that occurs that could kill the other rats also. Now if you are changing the timing of these changes, then diet may not have to be altered till the change occurs. Humans go through metabolic cycles where we need to alter the foods we eat, I am thinking this is evident in other animals also and may not be altered with this process.

A combinations of a few plants in nature can supply the needed chemicals for what the guy is studying, nothing needs to be created synthetically. A problem with this could be cancer creation if not done right, but if diet is controlled that probably won't be a problem. Pushing the growth hormone part over the tipping point without adequate companion chemistry can cause problems. Boy would I like to discuss this subject with the guy.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I read a piece awhile back (not fringe at all) that described the aging process on a molecular level:

In a nutshell to simplify, you could look at our dna as being threads that are bound together at each end with other threads. The threads doing the binding had a name, I do not remember. As cells split/divide to make new cells these bindings are lost one by one, in effect, until the dna strand simply falls apart due to the lack of the "binding" threads to hold them together.

I have oversimplified, no doubt, but what was described could be represented exactly as above. The article also stated that there were a number of researches ongoing trying to figure out how to prevent the binding strands from deteriorating. It was thought that once that was achievable human lives would be greatly extended.

My question is, with 6 billion inhabitants on this earth and growing, why the heck would we be working hard at extending lifespans by multiples which will just create even more pressure on our resources?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: OneManArmy

I am 60, and I keep getting these blue screens....then I have to reboot myself. My files are corrupted and I am not near as bright as I once was. My IQ used to be above 130, but I would hate to see what I score these days LOL.

That's like, no shist.... my memory sucks badly. I draw blanks at times that make me go wtf?? If it weren't for google to remind me of stuff I already know but cannot retrieve I think I would be totally lost. This is no joke... kinda scary in ways. I am absolutely positive I have forgotten more on some subjects than most people know.....

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
This is interesting:

Quackwatch

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

No, right now, I live in south Florida.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
When it said grapes my first thought was wine.

Anyhow I think most aging effects come from gravity. That's why they say "the aging effects of gravity." So if you want to stop aging, remove the gravity.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join