It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it ISIL...Is it ISIS... Is it IS ? Can we at least know they name of our Enemy ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
IS = Inhuman Savages
The rest dont matter!
These cowardly butchering dip#s have only one wish which will be fulfilled Im sure and that is there own DEATHS!
So be it soon!!

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Perhaps we should call them as they call themselves....muslims.
It would make it a lot easier as it would put the onus on so called moderates to take action if they felt this was not what islam is about.

Unfortunately the creator of this so called peaceful religion wasn't always so peaceful......

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
They change their name regularly, but i believe their most recognised name is ISIS, hence its use by most of the media. Some outlets are beginning to call them IS though.

As for the USA calling them ISIL, it is just one acronym out of many, so it isn't a big deal. Especially considering the fact that the USA has recognised its other aliases as part of the terrorist organisation too:

The Department of State announced the amendment of the designation of al-Qa’ida in Iraq (AQI) as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) under Section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act and as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist entity under section 1(b) of Executive Order (E.O.) 13224 to add the alias Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) as its primary name and remove all aliases associated with al-Nusrah Front (ANF). Additionally, the Department of State announced the designation of ANF as an FTO under Section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act and as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist entity under section 1(b) of E.O. 13224.

The Department will also add the following aliases to the ISIL listing: the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS), the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), ad-Dawla al-Islamiyya fi al-‘Iraq wa-sh-Sham, Daesh, Dawla al Islamiya, and Al-Furqan Establishment for Media Production. Furthermore, under the same authorities, the Department of State designated al-Nusrah Front as a standalone FTO and SDGT.

www.state.gov...

I personally call them ISIS, as it is the most recognised name of theirs, it is easy to pronounce, and i won't give them legitimacy by calling them the Islamic State or caliphate.

As for the history and definitions of ISIS' names, here is a lengthy explanation which may be of help:

The group has had a number of different names since its formation in early 2004 as Jamāʻat al-Tawḥīd wa-al-Jihād, "The Organization of Monotheism and Jihad" (JTJ).

In October 2004, the group's leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi swore loyalty to Osama bin Laden and changed the name of the group to Tanẓīm Qāʻidat al-Jihād fī Bilād al-Rāfidayn, "The Organization of Jihad's Base in the Country of the Two Rivers", more commonly known as "Al-Qaeda in Iraq" (AQI). Although the group has never called itself "Al-Qaeda in Iraq", this name has frequently been used to describe it through its various incarnations.

In January 2006, AQI merged with several smaller Iraqi insurgent groups under an umbrella organization called the "Mujahideen Shura Council". This was little more than a media exercise and an attempt to give the group a more Iraqi flavour and perhaps to distance al-Qaeda from some of al-Zarqawi's tactical errors, notably the 2005 bombings by AQI of three hotels in Amman. Al-Zarqawi was killed in June 2006, after which the group's direction shifted again.

On 12 October 2006, the Mujahideen Shura Council joined four more insurgent factions and the representatives of a number of Iraqi Arab tribes, and together they swore the traditional Arab oath of allegiance known as Ḥilf al-Muṭayyabīn ("Oath of the Scented Ones"). During the ceremony, the participants swore to free Iraq's Sunnis from what they described as Shia and foreign oppression, and to further the name of Allah and restore Islam to glory.

On 13 October 2006, the establishment of the Dawlat al-ʻIraq al-Islāmīyah, "Islamic State of Iraq" (ISI) was announced. A cabinet was formed and Abu Abdullah al-Rashid al-Baghdadi became ISI's figurehead emir, with the real power residing with the Egyptian Abu Ayyub al-Masri. The declaration was met with hostile criticism, not only from ISI's jihadist rivals in Iraq, but from leading jihadist ideologues outside the country. Al-Baghdadi and al-Masri were both killed in a US–Iraqi operation in April 2010. The next leader of the ISI was Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the current leader of ISIS.

On 9 April 2013, having expanded into Syria, the group adopted the name "Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant", also known as "Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham". The name is abbreviated as ISIS or alternately ISIL. The final "S" in the acronym ISIS stems from the Arabic word Shām (or Shaam), which in the context of global jihad refers to the Levant or Greater Syria. ISIS was also known as al-Dawlah ("the State"), or al-Dawlah al-Islāmīyah ("the Islamic State"). These are short-forms of the name "Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham" in Arabic; it is similar to calling "the United States of America" "the States".

ISIS's detractors, particularly in Syria, refer to the group as "Da'ish" or "Daesh", (داعش), a term that is based on an acronym formed from the letters of the name in Arabic, al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi Iraq wa al-Sham. The group considers the term derogatory and reportedly uses flogging as a punishment for people who use the acronym in ISIS-controlled areas.

On 29 June 2014, the establishment of a new caliphate was announced, with Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi named as its caliph, and the group formally changed its name to the "Islamic State".

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 21-8-2014 by daaskapital because: sp

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

What really should bother you is the fact that ISIS or whatever were Jihadist rebels US government supported in Syria and they turned on everybody.

Like having a dog you turn into a beast with beating and hunger, and then it bites you back.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite
IS = Inhuman Savages
The rest dont matter!
These cowardly butchering dip#s have only one wish which will be fulfilled Im sure and that is there own DEATHS!
So be it soon!!

So why did US government help create them in Syria. Do you suppose US government bears any responsibility, or as usual are we just to look the other way while US helps the world burn.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
For some reason the global power elites need to restart the Iraq war, possibly for economic reasons. I have come to dislike war since most modern wars tend to be in one way or another manufactured. Some aspects of conflicts may be "real" with "actual enemies". Present day "real" enemies are never as capable or dangerous as portrayed, but because they don't follow the "guidance" of the power elite, their very existence poses a threat to the perceived power and global control of the elites. Sometimes enemies are created or somehow evolved and then used to distract and control populations. If a small group of people can stand up to the elites, what is to stop groups around the world from following their example?

Take note how the media's and a significant portion of American's view of police force and authority has changed? Do you notice a correlation between trying to control perceived enemies in the middle east and trying to control American citizens in the U.S? It's not just about extremist religions or terrorism, it's about control over everyone.

It has mostly to do with money, power, who owes what to whom and for what reason, it has much to do with Israel and oil. It has much to do with UFOs and the need to keep denying their existence, it has to do with the effect ETs may have on certain religions. It has to do with the fact that public science is now catching up to secret science in terms of time view, space travel, and possible time travel.

It has to do with the fact that because the power elites cannot rationally justify their positions they are forced to work at a level below ideas, so they are at a disadvantage. They have to use overwhelming material force to try to somehow destroy or prevent the general public from realizing certain ideas, but ideas can't be destroyed.

I hate to say it, but I would let them do "their thing" in Iraq or wherever, it will keep them occupied, and it will take the focus off of the American public.
edit on 21-8-2014 by deloprator20000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: MX61000
Excuse me, but you can't defeat Islam, especially the “ Kingdom “... You'll die trying. Allah, the Supreme Being could have you all destroyed right now if he willed, with minimal loss on our side. In fact, Allah has declared that only about 300 Muslims will die before the complete removal of the other side.

WTF is this BS, yes I used acronyms.

Guess you need a new god, more than 300 are dead.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: CokeIsNotCool

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite
IS = Inhuman Savages
The rest dont matter!
So be it soon!!

So why did US government help create them in Syria. Do you suppose US government bears any responsibility, or as usual are we just to look the other way while US helps the world burn.

They didn't.

ISIS has been active since 2004, as a result of the allied invasion of Iraq. So it is a lie to say that the USA helped create them in Syria.

The USA hasn't even directly supplied or trained the likes of ISIS. It is only that a lot of the moderate rebels, of whom have received training and equipment, have defected to ISIS as they rise in power. And as ISIS does rise in power, those of whom have received US and UK training, are now passing the knowledge on to others.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

They were around long before Syria erupted, lots of disinfo about them that the US hating breed of sheep lap up and ask for more.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
So it is a lie to say that the USA helped create them in Syria.

The USA hasn't even directly supplied or trained the likes of ISIS. It is only that a lot of the moderate rebels, of whom have received training and equipment, have defected to ISIS as they rise in power. And as ISIS does rise in power, those of whom have received US and UK training, are now passing the knowledge on to others.

No it is not a lie, and I am going to start a thread about them. Try and stop me.

You want people to believe that you can supply a good killer, and not a bad killer.

American logic is failing world wide.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
They were around long before Syria erupted, lots of disinfo about them that the US hating breed of sheep lap up and ask for more.

says who, US government ?

where is the credibility, lost 20 years ago, some old times would say lost 50 years ago

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

So it is a lie to say that the USA helped create them in Syria.

No it is not a lie, and I am going to start a thread about them. Try and stop me.

You want people to believe that you can supply a good killer, and not a bad killer.

American logic is failing world wide.

I don't care what you do. The fact is that there is no evidence suggesting that the USA has directly and knowingly aided in the establishment of ISIS. There is no denying that US training and equipment have landed in the hands of ISIS, through defectors. But there is nothing to say that the US had directly equipped ISIS, or trained its fighters.

What we do know, is that ISIS has been around since 2004, and used the power vacuum in the Syrian civil war to gain power and establish itself as a major force. It is funded by private donars, and has amassed great wealth through the management of farms and oil fields. Its fighters are well armed and trained, as many of them have fought in previous wars and rebellions. Others were once moderate Syrian and Libyan rebels trained by US and UK staff.

On another note, i'm not American, and i oppose the ways in which the USA conducts its supporting of fighters in wars.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

Excuse me, but you can't defeat Islam, especially the “ Kingdom “... You'll die trying. Allah the Supreme Being could have you destroyed right now if he willed.

Now that remains to be seen.

If we are to annihilate any community, we let the leaders commit vast corruption therein. Once they deserve retribution, we annihilate it completely. 17:16

We could be heading down that road though...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   

On another note, i'm not American, and i oppose the ways in which the USA conducts its supporting of fighters in wars.

If what you say was true, you wouldn't defend US policy in Middle east the way you do.

Carry on, I won't bother reading the reply

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
I thought one of the first rules of war is know your enemy.

President Obama refers to them as ISIL.

Seems like the MSM call them by the acronym ISIS.

They seem to refer to themselves simply by IS.

I prefer to refer to them as a bunch of soon to be dead guys driving Toyotas.

This bothers me and maybe I'm the only one.

This has the potential to turn into a World War. I really hope not.

But, just in case it does, shouldn't we all be on the same page ?

Also, I do not know what all those stand for. Would anyone care to explain.

Well thank God somebody had the guts to ask! I just assumed I was the only one confused by this. Or I thought they were three different groups. You get a S & F for this important "WTH" Thread, LoL...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
It really bothered me when this ISIS appeared out of nowhere and when they first appeared everyone referred to them as ISIS. Really? An Islamic group naming themselves after an Egyptian goddess? I don't think so. It's my belief that the folks that make this crap up, screwed up and are back pedaling like mad in an attempt to change the name. I just don't believe any of it any more.
edit on Fri August 22nd, 2014 by damwel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

The correct initials are definitely ISIS but I think some folks
didn't like the connections to the Legend of Osiris and Isis or something,
considering what they have got on the back of their dollar bill so they
are trying some spin cycle on it.

But it hasn't worked, everyone is still calling it ISIS with the exception
of some neocon think tanks and the US State Dept.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I just wish they would stick with something different than ISIS.

It makes my favorite fictional intelligence agency look bad.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Excuse me, but you can't defeat Islam, especially the “ Kingdom “... You'll die trying. Allah, the Supreme Being could have you all destroyed right now if he willed, with minimal loss on our side. In fact, Allah has declared that only about 300 Muslims will die before the complete removal of the other side.

That's exactly what this thread needed, fire and brimstone, now all we need is for someone to respond to them with rockets redglare while bombs burst in midair

Anyone want shmores?

edit on 22-8-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: damwel

Why do you assume they "appeared out of nowhere"?
Just because YOU (and many many others, apparently) weren't keeping up with events outside the media spotlight? Just because the T.V. and social media scene wasn't blowing up with their name?

No....
They didn't "appear out of nowhere". They just didn't.

As daaskapital said, they have been active for a long time. Some of us knew this or at least, of this.

But....I guess that doesn't fit the narrative that they were "created" out of thin air.

(Sorry to pick you out of the crowd...but this deluded thinking that they were created and just appeared out of nowhere is getting ridiculous. Learn the facts and stop the misinformation.)

Deny ignorance folks.....I thought that is what we do here? It appears ever more clear that the majority here and abound haven't a clue outside the media sphere of influence and they don't pay attention to actual reporting coming from said regions that they claim to know oh so much about.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join