It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C-64, The Great

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Greetings Comrades,

The first computer I ever touched was a C-64. For those that don't know and want to do some additional research, its worth it.
The Great Commodore 64.

It was so ahead of its time. I am not writing this post to go into specs or anything like that. I just wanted to publicly say that it was an incredible piece of machinery. Today's tech is little different. Everything is crammed into one object. Even things you don't need. Those kind of machines were different. You had to have these remarkable stand alone pieces to get the job done. I like when the people are involved in moving the world forward and just like the nintendo, there were alot of rogue games and even hardware.

I just wanted to talk to others that were privileged enough to experience such greatness.
I still remember the loading commands, and shortcuts. Yup every thing was centered around the floppy. Every single time you wanted to do something you had to "LOAD" it, and NO mouse I might add.

Please tell me there are others out there.

Just for the record, I still have it and games (20-40 floppys). No monitor, though it can be hooked up to the tv with the Nintendo/Sega style cord.
My fav games were.
Moon Patrol (prob the first game I ever played)
Impossible mission(prob the greatest game ever)
Classic Concentration and other Popular TV game shows
Summer and Winter games. ( this is perhaps the most brilliant, versatile game invented)
edit on 21-8-2014 by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS because: addition

One of those things I will never sell or throw away.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
yes they were great and if you still have one it probably still works pretty good. A friend of mine still has his and his children play the old asteroids, ping pong and pac man games and many of the games you mentioned as well. If iam not mistaken (because my frined is a programing wizard) he even made some modern games to work on it as well.

A salute the the Comm-64

edit on 21-8-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS
Greetings Comrades,

Please tell me there are others out there.

10 for i = 0 to 15: print "Greetings... ";: poke 53280,i: next i

Thanks for the nostalgia trip. I luv'd my C64 back in its day, though it wasn't my 1st computer. I have a soft spot for the Oric Atmos even though the C64 was superior...
edit on 21-8-2014 by yizzel because: doh

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS

Yep the C 64 was great. Don't have it anymore though wish I did.

Actually my first computer was it's predecessor the Commodore Vic 20. Had the little tape drive and a screaming 300 BPS modem as well.

The good old (really slow) days.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Had one, loved it! I wish I still had it for the times I long for my childhood...which seems to be more often these days!

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: USExpat
Had one, loved it! I wish I still had it for the times I long for my childhood...which seems to be more often these days!

Get an emulator! VICE is pretty good...

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I had the C Vic 20 all the way to the Amiga 1000. I can still hear the disk drives churning from my 64.
edit on 21-8-2014 by AlephBet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I learned to program on a C-64. My first modem - 300 Baud on that C-64. Compuserve $6.00/hour during off-hours - LOL. Ran up a fortune on that account - had to go cold Turkey until the mid 90s.

I recall playing 'games' on it with friends and passing around a 'joy stick'.

Remember thermal printers?

But I knew what it was doing and it only did what I told it too.

Good Memories.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

A great machine indeed....

I Still play all the games with an emulator on the PC, as yizzel said VICE does a good job.
Pitstop II, Karateka, Way of the exploding fist, timeless classics!!!
Adding to what you said about summer and winter games i don't think there has been a better multi player game made, EIGHT PLAYERS!!! and those graphics,,,good times!!!

The first computer i got was the spectrum 48k, had some great games as well such as knight lore, gunfright, with those two machines that was entertainment sorted for the best part of a dacade

Some of the PC remakes are pretty good as well, bruce lee and batman are definatly worth a look,still got the original gameplay but with more modern graphics

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I'm not that old, but I remember getting my Sinclair 2000, then going to the Vic 20, then the c64. :-)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

My first actual computer, aside from the Atari 2600.

There was just so much diversity of what you could do with such a basic system. Programming stuff, word processing, and of course the games.

and of course;

What I remember the most? The loading times....
Oh, and the awesome music.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
All of you guys are completely and totally cool.
I had relative that had the vic20, I have only heard fables about it.

You guys rule soo much.
That music is literally magical. I produce music and it boggles me how deep they went into it with the limited technology.

74 Templar:

You killed it with those videos man

Test Drive is a classic. I honestly forgot about that one. That game is original. Before NFS.
....and Ghostbusters. True story, I was scared of the music when I was a child

My bro would load it and leave it on lol. Great game as well.

You guys are incredible.

Alephbet : that was the coolest sound ever. lol to the red and the green light.

Fyrebyrd : I don't remember the thermal printers, just that good ole dot matrix lol.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Like yourself i make music and yeah how people like Rob Hubbard got so much sound out of such limited gear is incredible.
I remember recording the music from hyper sports (chariots of fire) onto a Sony walkman and taking it into school to play...haha!
Its cool to see that music is still being made using the SID chip these days, well hardcore!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   
The game of Daley Thompsons decathalon where you had to move the joystick left to right as fast as possible was always a fraught game just incase your mum came in at the wrong time and caught you hunched up with one hand going very fast in your lap while groaning

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
C64 was my first computer as a kid too! I remember it took sometimes up to an hour to load a game, inserting disk after disk... but was well worth it. I loved all the Windham Classics (especially Below the Root - anyone play that?) Also loved al the text-based games - Zork, Hitchhikers Guide, etc.

We still use a C64 monitor as a television - not a great picture, but good enough for use when on the treadmill. Amazing that it's lasted so long!

Here is a site that many of you might enjoy checking out. They are dedicated to protecting and preserving the legacy of C64s!
www.c64.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
10= "Homer is Cool"
20 goto 10
run

I remember those days, I played games like Pool of Radiance, Mechwarrior, and was online in the prehistoric version of AOL: CServe and Q-Link
Fastest speed back then was 2400 BPS
Those were the days...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
My favorite game for the C-64 was EOS (Earth Orbit Station) by Electronic Arts. I still break out an emulator every once in a while just to play it again. I especially loved the "Search for Life" scenario.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I remember playing Carnival on the C-64.

The emulators are pretty good,used to have a bunch of c-64 games with emu,
but it got old fast as I am to used to the graphics of the last 20 years..lol

The Emu's are great for a nostalgic look back though!

I think I did more on the apple II than c-64.

pr#6

brun hello

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I had one too, we are all old...

10print.org...

new topics

top topics

join