It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Norse and Salishan Native Americans both prophesied about a coming wild canine.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The Norse Vikings were not the only people to prophesy about a coming great wolf or dog in the distant future. From Scandinavia to the Pacific Northwest, a people known as the Salishan Native American peoples believed a great coyote will one day return to earth.

One important difference between Salishan oral traditions and Western literature is that Salishan traditional narratives are not considered to be fictive, or to be the result of the creativity of the narrator, rather they are considered to convey real knowledge of the world as passed down from the elders. The storyteller also does not "own" the story, although the best storytellers do give the narratives a personal flavor. Rather the stories are considered to be pre-existing and to contain all the knowledge of the world. Demonstrating the significance of the traditional narratives, elder Joe Cullooyah of the Montana Salish stated that "Everything you need to know about life is in the Coyote stories — if you just listen carefully.", and asked what happened to Coyote of the Coyote narratives, Cullooyah answered "You believe that Christ is coming back some day, right? Well, Coyote is coming back some day, too."

en.wikipedia.org...

The red section in the map below is the pre-contact distribution of the Salishan languages.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Norse legend about the binding and release of this wolf god is very interesting. The Scandinavian gods conspire together and figure out a way to bind the wolf in fetters. The wolf god Fenrir is distracted when the Norse god of war named Tyr places his hand in the creature’s mouth. The other gods bind Fenrir while Tyr’s hand is in the wolf’s mouth. Fenrir refuses to let go and bites off his hand. That is why the god of war is depicted with one hand. When the future day of Ragnarok comes the wolf will be released from its fetters and eventually will kill the primary Norse god called Odin.
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Scandinavia, homeland of the Norse Vikings.

en.wikipedia.org...

It’s amazing that both cultures on either side of the Atlantic came up with a similar story about a god like dog coming to earth in the future. The Vikings saw him as a wolf and the Salishan people saw him as a coyote. I wonder if these cultures may have had contact with each other in some distant past. Could the Norse gods Odin, Tyr, Thor, Freyr and Heimdallr represent the good Scandinavia gods and their evil counterparts Fenrir (wolf), Jormungandr (serpent) and Hel (underworld) represent the gods of the North American cultures?

Please see the following thread for information on the similarities between the Norse war god and the Aztec war god.

The Aztec and Norse god of war are both missing one hand

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Well, I used to have long canines, but they broke off because they overlapped my bottom teeth. Then I lost my teeth from a complication with medications. So you guys don't have to worry about this wolf giving you problems. Now I'm a toothless mouse.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Well, I used to have long canines, but they broke off because they overlapped my bottom teeth. Then I lost my teeth from a complication with medications. So you guys don't have to worry about this wolf giving you problems. Now I'm a toothless mouse.

Well, maybe that's why we've been seeing so many Vampire TV series and movies lately.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: lostinspace

Such a nice thread and I am mobile so can't embed YT so people can locate example of Joseph Campbell interviews find "Native American Trickster" that adds to this mythogy above.
I see a lot searching "coyote native American".

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
It is probably metaphorical.

I wrote about Tyre shackling fenrir until ragnarock on this thread

Most religions,traditions and legends tell of a 'dark force' of varying descriptions appearing on Earth.

These legends have been long told and are IMO probably remnants of ancient historical cyclical events that were catastrophic, told by far distant ancestors, such as say an ice age, pole shift or a disruptive influence from the position of the solar system in the galaxy that perhaps is known for increased comet or meteor activity, increased volcanic activity or earthquakes.

Creation myths are often similar in many ancient cultures, and are mostly stories of light and dark, and probably reference astronomical events and phenomena.

There might also have been an ancient common ancestor or ancestral tribes using similar allegory. Various ancestors would might use similar ways of describing events using the native flora and fauna and the characteristics of those that were a threat and those of saviour characteristics.

It is also possible that as cultures migrated and settled, the original myths of a core similarity evolved in each culture to suit their location.

The concept of light and dark in legends and religions are given 'personalities' for the purpose of description, being able to tell the story to future generations and a way of perhaps primitive cultures making sense of the bigger picture from comparing with the things they know in nature.

For example a cold dark period being known as a wolf or serpent and a warm light period being known as a hero or saviour. If these ancient peoples didn't know of the galaxy as is now known, their superstitious nature would have created myths in order for making sense of it all.

It isn't coincidence that Jesus is a continuation of older sun god worship from varying ancient cultures as the sun is required for humans surviving on Earth.

The earth goes through natural cycles of warming, cooling, geophysical activity and influence from galactic positioning. Ancient cultures would have experienced events that were 'heaven sent' that they couldn't explain but tried making sense of.

For example, the last time the solar system was in the position it is in now, there were dinosaurs on Earth. There have been many warming and cooling cycles since. We are currently in a warm period.

physics.mercer.edu...
edit on 21-8-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Hi lostinspace,
You have really opened up a giant can o worms.
A) because it may illuminate an ancient connection of ancestral peoples.
And by ancient I mean really ancient, on the order of 25-40 k years ago.
And
B) Because if a is correct it requires a reexamination of how modern humans moved around the planet.
I'll continue later

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Granite

Such a nice thread and I am mobile so can't embed YT so people can locate example of Joseph Campbell interviews find "Native American Trickster" that adds to this mythogy above.
I see a lot searching "coyote native American".

I'll embed one for you.

The Trickster god of the Norse is Loki, who happens to be the father of Fenrir the wolf.

Loki is referred to in the Poetic Edda, compiled in the 13th century from earlier traditional sources; the Prose Edda and Heimskringla, written in the 13th century by Snorri Sturluson; the Norwegian Rune Poems, in the poetry of skalds, and in Scandinavian folklore. Loki may be depicted on the Snaptun Stone, the Kirkby Stephen Stone, and the Gosforth Cross. Loki's origins and role in Norse mythology, which some scholars have described as that of a trickster god, have been much debated by scholars.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

A home run!

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10
Hi lostinspace,
And
B) Because if a is correct it requires a reexamination of how modern humans moved around the planet.
I'll continue later

I look forward to seeing more info you have on the subject. You have my attention. Let's get to the bottom of this mystery.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
And by the way "Coyote" is ubiquitous among native Americans and crosses all language families. This is for two reasons, coyotes are the most plentiful canines in the americas, and coyotes are the most intelligent of all the wild canines. Studies have shown that coyotes can pick up on visual cues from humans in only a few hrs.
Any where humans settled, coyotes would have shown up.
That being said, I was also told by an NA aquaintance that the use of animal names for ancient people is actually because it's been so long that nobody remembers the names of the people involved in the stories anymore, so coyote, deer, eagle ,chipmonk duck and otter or such are just placeholders.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
If you know your Mason lay out of Washington DC it is aligned for the rising of the Dog Star or Sirius.

the dog star is associated with all satanic worship. some theologians believe it is the current dwelling place of Satan and his angles and that as they will be forced out of heaven by Jesus Christ to the earth in the last days.

The coming of the great dog makes sense to me.

edit on 21-8-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Where my dogs at?

Isn't that what the trend was at one point in the rap/hiphop culture. I know that all this dog talk in rap was coined by snoop doggy dog with his album "doggystyle".

I just find it fitting.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

That's very interesting. It reminds me of the offspring of Loki which are also associated with animals:

His three offspring:

Fenrir - wolf
Jormungandr - serpent
Hel - She's humanoid but her hellhound Garmr is with her in the underworld.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
There is a really fantastic old thesis on Sacred-Texts that theorises Fenrir is a comet... and when you consider that comets were evil portents even through the middle ages, and how the Greeks and others named planets after their gods, I think its a plausible explanation, that a comet was named after Fenrir (or vice versa) and something bad happened at its coming, and a connection was made...

And remember that the natives migrated to NA across Alaska, so its possible some ancient belief connected them before the peoples diverged...

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
If you know your Mason lay out of Washington DC it is aligned for the rising of the Dog Star or Sirius.

the dog star is associated with all satanic worship. some theologians believe it is the current dwelling place of Satan and his angles and that as they will be forced out of heaven by Jesus Christ to the earth in the last days.

Jesus did say there would be a coming great tribulation. Also something about days having to be shortened to be saved.
edit on 21-8-2014 by lostinspace because: added to

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ridhya
There is a really fantastic old thesis on Sacred-Texts that theorises Fenrir is a comet... and when you consider that comets were evil portents even through the middle ages, and how the Greeks and others named planets after their gods, I think its a plausible explanation, that a comet was named after Fenrir (or vice versa) and something bad happened at its coming, and a connection was made...

And remember that the natives migrated to NA across Alaska, so its possible some ancient belief connected them before the peoples diverged...

You have a very good point there. I have some theories about that as well. Fenrir is seen as a dark force that keeps growing until it has to be released by the time of Ragnarok. Just like a slingshot ready to be released.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostinspace

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

Jesus did say there would be a coming great tribulation. Also something about days having to be shortened to be saved.

Even more interesting is that Sirius means glowing, bright or scorcher and Lucifer means bright one, light bearer or bright shinning one.

I think it went like this, "Mt 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened." The elect being Israel, and "no flesh be saved" means any living thing left because those days of the great tribulation will be like no others ever before.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

I hope elect means more than Israel because I'm not Jewish.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10
Hi lostinspace,
And
I'll continue later

The folklore of the dangerous and tricky wolf is found in most cultures were wolves exist. I would suspect that this shared commonality is more due to wolves all being dangerous and intelligent than a shared cultural meme from a central source,

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune

The folklore of the dangerous and tricky wolf is found in most cultures were wolves exist. I would suspect that this shared commonality is more due to wolves all being dangerous and intelligent than a shared cultural meme from a central source.

That's why you have to be tricky yourself when dealing with these intelligent creatures. Tyr had to think of something to distract Fenrir the wolf. He had to loose his hand over it but he was able to save his fellow gods and his body in return.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join