It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scathing Report About Reporters In Ferguson

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
This gentleman brings up some very interesting points, and I have to commend him for realizing he was a part of the problem and for changing that.

I think we all know this thing has turned into a spectacle. At times it seems like there are more media than protestors. All of them scrambling to get a scoop on the next riot, looting spree or police involved shooting. Granted, that's the job, but it's becoming more and more parasitic. I think a lot of this is fueled by social media and the attention span of the average viewer. They all try to scoop each other at the cost of real reporting because they know real reporting doesn't matter. Sound bites and video clips matter now. The more violent the better. The more provocative the headline the better.

If they mess up, they can just say whoops, are source was bad. Never any accountability.

So here's a bit of what this gentleman saw while he was in Ferguson.

-Cameramen yelling at residents in public meetings for standing in way of their cameras

-Cameramen yelling at community leaders for stepping away from podium microphones to better talk to residents

-TV crews making small talk and laughing at the spot where Mike Brown was killed, as residents prayed, mourned

-A TV crew of a to-be-left-unnamed major cable network taking pieces out of a Ferguson business retaining wall to weigh down their tent

-Another major TV network renting out a gated parking lot for their one camera, not letting people in. Safely reporting the news on the other side of a tall fence.

-Journalists making the story about them

-National news correspondents glossing over the context and depth of this story, focusing instead on the sexy images of tear gas, rubber bullets, etc.

-One reporter who, last night, said he came to Ferguson as a “networking opportunity.” He later asked me to take a picture of him with Anderson Cooper.

Some of those seem rather benign, but imagine you're living in that community and you see some outsiders taking pieces of a local business to secure their tent. It's insulting. Yelling at community leaders while they are attempting to address the community instead of the world is insulting. Barricading yourself in a gated lot to get footage is insulting, embarrassing and a good example of how far removed from actual events the media is becoming.

The media is regurgitating bad information as fast as they can gobble it up. Think how many times we've been misled over this whole thing. Throwing up interviews with witnesses before they speak to the police. It's embarrassing.

I'm all for the media, but I'm not for this kind of reporting where it's all flash and no substance.

Link

edit on 2120140820141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

WOW!

I know you and I have had some. let's say unpleasant exchanges in the past, but you have definitely brought up some valid points for those who BELIEVE what they hear from these parasites as TRUTH!

Damn, incredible!

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Water under the bridge. I've been doing breathing exercises.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: seeker1963

Water under the bridge. I've been doing breathing exercises.

Me too my friend!

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I watched one live feed for about ten minutes that someone posted in a thread. It did not take me long to notice that the press was actually riling people and the police up. What happened to the scruples of the press. I wonder if they cause more fighting to occur in war zones overseas. People can feel obligated to do action when they are being recorded on film. The reporter can mention to protestors that things are going to escalate and put the thoughts in their minds, actually increasing the chances of it occurring. Why weren't these news men on the cops side facing the protestors instead of the protestors side recording the cops. Think about that.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Why weren't these news men on the cops side facing the protestors instead of the protestors side recording the cops. Think about that.

I weirdly have never thought about that. VERY good point there. We're getting half the story. I think a big part of it is that it's exciting watching the reporters get teargassed. I bet they could easily have a few people behind the police to get actual clear footage of events. Might help when the police claim bottles are thrown etc. Better than seeing a bunch of people's backs and having the lens lit up by lights.

Agree about people on camera. They do stupid things. I even notice this with family and friends and stupid little videos. People's demeanor change, they speak differently, they are more likely to do something suggested.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
That's quite a list. Next thing you know they'll be threatening to kill people and aiming assault rifles at them. Oh, wait, the cops have that covered.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I saw the one where a reporter was "hit in the head by a teargas canister". He was rolling on the ground screaming, being babies by one of his friends. Next moment, he was talking about it in his nasal-whine voice, like nothing ever happened. IMO, it was all an act to get attention. These reporters are full of #. They are manipulators. That's what they do.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I found the live feeds from the small independents much better behaved, on good terms with the population, and with much less biased reporting.

MSM work for guv, what else would one expect!

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

We are conditioned from young to follow instructions when your picture is being taken. Think of school pictures as an example. Parents told us to go and do things when they were recording us on the super 8. Without knowing it they were conditioning us. I am sure that those who work for the press are very aware of this too, probably being told this in their training.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Parents told us to go and do things when they were recording us on the super 8. Without knowing it they were conditioning us. I am sure that those who work for the press are very aware of this too, probably being told this in their training.

So is government. But that is also the problem I have with this thread, the independent reporter would already know how the media/press behaves, otherwise he knows nothing. Citing Ferguson as his nemesis simply just does not ring true at all.
This video however does require you to make your own perspective,

edit on 21-8-2014 by smurfy because: Video.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

WOW!

I know you and I have had some. let's say unpleasant exchanges in the past, but you have definitely brought up some valid points for those who BELIEVE what they hear from these parasites as TRUTH!

Damn, incredible!

I want to point out I DO NOT, literally DO NOT get my news from TV.. All my news is from ATS, facebook(yaya talk trash but most of my friends on there are you guys so ya..) and just what people are talking about.... I try to make an educated decision on how I see things.. I do not let anyone dictate how I think and feel about things...

I have been TV free for over 8 yrs..

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThichHeaded

WOW!

Damn, incredible!

I want to point out I DO NOT, literally DO NOT get my news from TV.. All my news is from ATS, facebook(yaya talk trash but most of my friends on there are you guys so ya..) and just what people are talking about.... I try to make an educated decision on how I see things.. I do not let anyone dictate how I think and feel about things...

My reply was to Domo!

Am I missing something here?

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
No you said exactly what i thought when i stopped watching tv long ago..

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

MSM is corporate owned and so are our governments.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

I agree here. This situation is a clear example of the circus that the media has become.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThichHeaded

WOW!

Damn, incredible!

The fallacy of that is that the media is more than just television. It's also the internet. More so these days actually. It's certainly effecting this website. So the statement "I don't watch television anymore" is holding less and less weight as a tool used to avoid manipulation and sensationalism.
edit on 22-8-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
I saw the one where a reporter was "hit in the head by a teargas canister". He was rolling on the ground screaming, being babies by one of his friends. Next moment, he was talking about it in his nasal-whine voice, like nothing ever happened. IMO, it was all an act to get attention. These reporters are full of #. They are manipulators. That's what they do.

Did you draw that conclusion from a whole 5 or 10 minutes of reporting that was published? If getting tear gassed doesn't affect a person much, why complain about police using it.

top topics

join