It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fracking and drinking water map shows where contamination may be

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Edgar Cayce's words about Amurica splitting into two comes to mind. Looks like we are heading down that road right about now. By 2100 it should be a mess.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Are you sure you were able to read the full report, understand what it says, what was investigated and write a reply in under 15 minutes? At least a minimum of research is necessary, otherwise you're bound to jump to conclusions and possibly make unsubstantiated claims.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Millers

Are you sure you were able to read the full report, understand what it says, what was investigated and write a reply in under 15 minutes? At least a minimum of research is necessary, otherwise you're bound to jump to conclusions and possibly make unsubstantiated claims.

I read the opening information, scanned the evidence, looking for parameters of the testing, read the final information and the conclusion at the end. The conclusion is what they say is pertinent in the case of the article. The conclusion does state it is probably natural because they have not found fracking chemical residue in any samples. It also states that some areas experience changes naturally, ignoring that natural can come from seismic activity caused by fracking. There is no evidence to directly tie fracking to their well problems.

Now anyone should know that if you crack something , the crack goes way farther than the initial impact and the chemical does not need to go that far. That contamination could be way down in the earth also initially, taking years to show up in the well water. But gasses can travel through it and get there much earlier.

I have split rocks before, trying to replicate how the ancient people did it. I know a crack can go for miles and be so fine that chemicals will not go in it, but gas could escape easily. If it didn't go far, it would never be cost effective to frack. Hit a pane of glass with a rock and see what happens, the only way to control the direction is to scribe a mark. You can't scribe rock to control the direction during the fracking process.

At least their water isn't contaminated by radioactive compounds like in the Milwaukee area since they started fracking there.
edit on 22-8-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

What would be conclusive evidence in your opinion, that the dissolved methane concentrations are the result of naturally occurring processes isolated to the Kline well ?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Big topic in this upcoming election here in CO.

Oil and gas companies are spending major dollars to lie to CO citizens about the danger of fracking.

Both former governors Romer, and Owens (R and D) have backed the claims it is as harmless as the wind; numerous commercials every TV break are dedicated to convincing CO voters that fracking is the best thing for Colorado to do.

Their slogan "it benefits us all" (as in beneficiary; "money"), it might benefit business, but not nature or long lasting stability.

It sickens me, the other side has no funding, and so there facts are never heard on TV.

Our voters are going to frack this one up I am sure.

God Bless,

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Millers

It would almost be impossible at this point to prove that fracking caused their water to get more methane in it. They know this. I am sure that the fracking somehow caused it, it would be too much of a coincidence that it happened at the time the fracking was going on not to be related.

But legally these people have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the fracking caused it. That would be impossible. So when they frack near you, you are screwed, you might as well sell your land to the fracking company, it will be worthless later on if something happens. Don't count on a lawsuit getting you anything more than stress, most often you will get nothing because there is no undeniable proof that they are at fault.

Notice, that even though fracking is now proven to cause earthquakes, nobody is getting anything to fix damage to their homes, you have to have your own insurance to cover this, and normal earth movement causing damage is an exclusion. So then you need a rider to your insurance. I know quite a bit about insurance when related to property damage not covered, having to deal with it when bidding insurance jobs. Certain things are not covered.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: phantomjack
I am waiting for someone with a brain to explain to me this:

The average private water well depth in Pennsylvania is less than 200 feet.

A fracking well is over 5000 feet.

How is it that chemicals used at that depth contaminate a well 4800 feet ABOVE that, when fluids follow a course of less resistance, and generally DOWN?

Please...anyone...Beuller? Beuller?

I don't have much of a brain, but I'll try to answer it.

These shale rocks lie just below the water table and the drilling process goes right through the water. The gas is extracted from the rocks, then pumped up to the surface, but there is a horizontal drilling process once the depth is reached and that’s where the rocks are punctured that free the gas. The methane then rises up through the rocks and is sent out to the surface. How much of that gas continues to rise straight up and right into that water table?

As you can see in this photo, the methane when released from the fracture, seeps up into the ground above, so not all gas comes out. When that ancient gas is smashed free from the rocks, there's a pretty good chance that it slowly rises up to those 500 foot wells, maybe even all the way to the surface adding to the 9% fugitive gas already escaping from the wells.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
This topic is one of those that strikes a nerve with me. I understand what fracing is and all of the nuances that go with fracing a well. That is why i am not sure why everyone is jumping to the conclusions. It has been proven that it was injection wells are causing earthquakes earthquake.usgs.gov... here is a link from the usgs.

Is there a problem with the way we dispose of waste water. Yes that is obvious in my opinion. Although it is not fracing that is causing the problem people still jump on the band wagon. Sorry for the rant. lol

I agree changes need to be made but not making educated decisions and pulling information of bias sites on the web is not acceptable.

By the way i'm not a fan of the oil business. I just think that we should be correct with our accusations.

Kaaer

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper Hi Rezlooper, I am always glad to see when you come on and post relevant to the fracking issue. Thank you so much for all your efforts. I can attest to the problems in regards to fracking on a personal level. I live in one of the "red" state areas on your map...Louisiana.

My family has been directly affected by the fracking practice. It started over 20 years ago for us....if only I knew then what I know NOW! We didn't get personal computers until the late 90s and it took me a while to learn where to go and what sites had pertinent information to a lot of issues that concerned me. I started researching on my own online about this thing called "fracking". I had read some short articles in magazines and such but nothing that really dug in deeply into the matter. I had my own suspicions about it all. As soon as logging trucks came in and took away the pretty woods where we lived, the fracking situation started next....oil/gas companies took over. The once pristine, lush green forests became filthy unsightly wastelands.

We bought land out in the country twice and had to move from both eventually because the country area around us turned into like something from a Sci-fi movie. Noisy trucks/rigs of all kinds, loud explosion sounds when fracking process going on at times, odd odors...I used to put water from our well in plastic jugs in case of a power outage so as I'd have water...shoulda known there was a problem when the caps would blow off of them. Would no longer drink from our wells or cook with the water but did bath in it and water vegetable gardens and such.

Don't wanna take over your post any more then I already have....long story short, my family suffers from some unusual health problems and after researching and finding out SOME of the chemicals used for the process, poor health is not a surprise...especially to liver and kidneys. The chemicals involved can be harmful even from just bathing/showering in them...let alone ingesting. The vapors that come out of the process goes into the air a good distance and are harmful also. I eventually learned a lot about the dangers of fracking...albeit a little late. The dangers to the environment and climate...significant and goes beyond anything as far as what we are being told. The chemicals they use are supposed to be a big secret but one can dig around and find lists of some of the ingredients...very harmful chemicals. Supposedly, the companies don't even have to tell the govt. all of what they use? Regardless, fracking causes a myriad of problems IMHO, from climate issues to environmental and health issues to say nothing of the ruination to our beautiful country areas. Sure, folks will say we need gas, but, there has to be a better way for energy to be obtained then fracking.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: shrevegal

I have to ask if you know the quantity's at which these chemicals are administered to the frac location. I'm just curious to what the allow able tolerance is for humans. Also i would like to state that frac water should never reach drinking water. This is due to an impermeable layer of stone between the water table and frac zones.

energyindepth.org...

dailycaller.com...
These are good read if you have a min.

Im not saying that you are or are not having these issues. Just that it is a rare occasion when these issues happen.

Kaaer

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
My family moved to Wyoming for a brief spell and I was surprised to find out later that fracking takes place in some parts of the country around there too. The realization that fracking takes place around by that huge volcano is unsettling. I never saw as much evidence of the industry up there but even if it is more hidden away and less visible, it is going on there. The Dakotas have been ruined by Uranium mines as well.

The amount of earthquakes that have been taking place in Oklahoma and even Texas gives one pause for thought. Some will argue that fracking cannot cause such...yet, there are some scientists that are saying just that. I had fracking going on very close to all 4 sides of one of my properties and I can tell you, the explosions that take place when they are doing their "thing"....are very powerful. Drilling disturbs the earth also...could literally feel the house vibrate...slant drilling going on perhaps. Also, the cement casing they put in is very narrow and not much by way of concrete is used...mere inch or 2 wide in some areas. Can't possibly hold up any length of time and when under pressure.

Louisiana is a testament to the "problems" relevant to fracking...and oil spills. Dead zones and fish die offs and spoiled water wells and water ways, soil and even fouled air. Sinkholes and illegal disposal of waste water and such...even dumping chemicals illegally....steadily ruining a beautiful state and even this country and the world over, as natural gas companies are everywhere now it seems.

Googling can deliver some articles with results relevant to some of the chemicals involved and the amounts that are harmful. That is how many of us have become aware of the problem. Many of the chemicals have a cumulative effect but some are harmful right off the bat...radiation,...toluene, diesel fuel, benzene, xylene, naphthalene, methanol, formaldehyde, ethylene glycol, glycol ethers, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, hydrochloric acid, and so forth...none of that is tolerable and it DOES enter into the water and soil and air. The list above is only a small sampling. My doctor looked into the matter and even small amounts over time are unacceptable.
edit on 22-8-2014 by shrevegal because: added thought

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ArchPlayer

his writings about atlantis and egypt were fairly accurate
but thats paranormal stuff so.. maybe maybe not

edit on 22-8-2014 by blacktie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I have to say that i am sorry to hear that you had such a bad experiance. But i would also like to say that the "explosions" wont shake your house. The charges used for wireline during a fracing can hardly be felt when you are touching the well head much less above the location they are being fired 7k feet below. Also horizontal drilling is pretty much all large company's do these days.

edit on 22-8-2014 by kaaer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: kaaer I said "vibrating" and no where did I mention explosions shook my house. The vibrating could be from the drilling process. I mentioned the NOISE relevant to explosions and NOT that such moved my house. Reading comprehension in need? Bye, Bye.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Reminds me of just this morning I heard a guy on the radio talking about how lower american labor rates were resulting in our being more competitive with the cost of Chines labor. The idea was that at some point we could afford to move all of industry back over here. besides we were being collectively competitive and that is the main thing. LOL. Don't worry about your dam wages we are being competitive for petes sake!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: shrevegal Big arsed companies lie all the time. They have secret formulas. How do we know what they are doing and how they are doing it and if they are following the rules...unless, one works for them or their best interests or course.
Good day.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

My apologies. sorry for the comprehensions on my part. Thanks for being an adult about it.

I was also wondering if you ever looked up the concentrations of the frac chemicals being pumped into the ground.

Im curious also with the medical issues you were having what chemicals and the concentrations. There are lots of frac locations where i live and i would like to be in the know.

Kaaer

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Apologists for fracking say there is no way that the process harms our water in any way. Then why are they lobbying so hard relevant to not having to reveal all the chemicals they use. Why are they exempt from the Clean water/Clean Air acts and more. When confronted with water from a supposedly contaminated water well, why wouldn't the industry people there drink same. The defenders of fracking say there is no way water ways and wells get contaminated by the process.

The vapors that are let into the air contain all or most of the chemical cocktail needed for the procedure....contrary to what 'they" claim, it does not all get "burned off" or magically go straight up to the moon and not harm our atmosphere and air quality. When the contents from those vapors spread around and land on our soil, lakes, rivers, and other water ways, our water wells are the least of it. When waste water from fracking is illegally dumped, it gets into our water/soil/air. Anyone who says there is no harm to all of the above and to the environment...well, come on down here, I got some really great looking water from my friends well for you to sample.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaaer
This topic is one of those that strikes a nerve with me. I understand what fracing is and all of the nuances that go with fracing a well. That is why i am not sure why everyone is jumping to the conclusions. It has been proven that it was injection wells are causing earthquakes earthquake.usgs.gov... here is a link from the usgs.

Is there a problem with the way we dispose of waste water. Yes that is obvious in my opinion. Although it is not fracing that is causing the problem people still jump on the band wagon. Sorry for the rant. lol

I agree changes need to be made but not making educated decisions and pulling information of bias sites on the web is not acceptable.

By the way i'm not a fan of the oil business. I just think that we should be correct with our accusations.

Kaaer

So, the sites telling you that Fracking isn't contaminating the water supply, those aren't biased, huh? They're all legit and have no special interest or agenda? lol, I think I'll listen (trust) to the sites you refer that haven't got millions of dollars being tossed at them to tell you what they want you to hear. I'm not sure why the sites you refer to (bias) would want to lie to you, what benefit do they receive. Which side has the most to lose? It's the oil and gas industry, making billions of dollars, that's who. So, you decide, which sites are biased.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join