Suspected Ebola death in Donegal Ireland.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
A suspected case of Ebola is being assessed in County Donegal, the Health and Safety Executive has confirmed - following the discovery of a man's body on Thursday. It is understood the man had been working in Sierra Leone and that a number of his colleagues had contracted the virus there. He was found dead late last night and taken to Letterkenny General Hospital, it is understood.

The individual at the centre of the case had recently travelled to one of the African areas affected by a major outbreak of the deadly virus.
It has been reported that the man may have been getting treatment for suspected malaria after returning from Sierra Leone when he died.
Blood samples have been sent for laboratory testing to confirm whether or not the man had contracted Ebola.
It is believed the suspected victim was in his 40s and from near Mountcharles.
He is thought to have been living with his partner in Dublin, but was visiting family in Co Donegal when he became ill.
His body has been transferred to Letterkenny General Hospital.
According to the HSE, the man's body will remain in the mortuary in the interim period.

Donegal is literally ten minutes away from me, it's terrifying that the Ebola virus might be on this wee Island, what I dont understand is that why someone who was clearly at one of the affected areas of the virus so easily able to travel home without so much as a check-up en route? Why are people not being checked for the virus before leaving these countries?

Link 1

Link 2

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
If he was being treated for malaria he did have medical intervention. I think if there was an error here it was misdiagnosis. Don't forget most drs never see either of those ailments.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

I really hope this wasn't a misdiagnosis and in fact ebola, the guy was in Dublin and Donegal, not to mention the passengers who travelled with him. Doctors need to get savvy quick and learn to spot these things.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Lady_Tuatha
Both articles gave such precise information that regardless of what this man had the public can take precautions. These are one of the few Ebola articles I've read that didn't leave more questions than answers.

And, I don't see your community destroying the hospital saying this is a hoax either.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Matter of time before we see it in UK then

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
OMG, I'm in Strabane, like a 5 minute drive from Donegal, and my dad is in Stranorlar IN Donegal. I really hope this is just sensationalist Journalism.

Why do the reports not mention the obvious question we'd like an answer for; and that is did he suffer from hemorrhaging before his unfortunate death?

I think that's an answer we'd all like to know; giving that it's the most feared aspect of Ebola and an obvious indicator. Why no citation of this?

edit on 21-8-2014 by Chipkin9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
more information in this article, apparently the man was at a festival in Mountcharles last week.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
If this is true then I wonder what the chances of containment in a western society are actually like, Since the MSM gives it the big talk saying that an outbreak on the scale of Africa would not be possible...

How can this be true when there is no cure and a significant incubation period.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Wowsers. He is not nice to share germs. Two words. Self quarantine.

If he was hemorrhaging at that celebration everyone would have panicked. So if he did hemorrhage if was privately.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I think we will be seeing more of probable cases as time goes on .

armakirais

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I was actually joking to my sister the other day about the Derry Virologist who traveled to Guinea to run diagnostic tests on possibly infected patients; saying "Imagine he returned back to Ireland and brought it back home with him".

Source: Derry virologist Christopher Logue joins Ebola fight in Guinea

I was quite confident the virus could/would be contained before ever reaching here, and hoped just to (Jokingly) scare her a bit.

Some things you just shouldn't joke about.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Chipkin9
What scares me about this disease is how long it lives on inanimate objects. That means cross contamination becomes more likely.

Imagine a table or shelf becomes infected and then everything that touches that item, everything that this new item touches... this has me worried if it can be spreading this way too.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
a reply to: Chipkin9
What scares me about this disease is how long it lives on inanimate objects. That means cross contamination becomes more likely.

Imagine a table or shelf becomes infected and then everything that touches that item, everything that this new item touches... this has me worried if it can be spreading this way too.

Yea exactly; let alone all the people he was coughing and sneezing around.

I'll remain calm for now and have faith that he probably died from something else.

With all the hype surrounding Ebola, it's easy for the media to make a frenzy out of the slightest possibility. He could have eaten some dodgy food in Sierra Leone
Hopefully

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
You don't always hemorrhage externally with Ebola. That's why it's easy to confuse it with other diseases like Malaria. It's a little tough to expect docs to diagnose something when all the dominant symptoms are shared in common.

I mean, I went to my doc a couple weeks ago with a sore throat. Should he have tested me for Ebola?

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
You don't always hemorrhage externally with Ebola. That's why it's easy to confuse it with other diseases like Malaria. It's a little tough to expect docs to diagnose something when all the dominant symptoms are shared in common.

I mean, I went to my doc a couple weeks ago with a sore throat. Should he have tested me for Ebola?

If you were recently returned from Sierra leone where some of your colleagues contracted ebola and where there is a bad outbreak of the virus then yes, yes he should.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I don't know if all your records are digital there but, here with digital medical records that are used for other things ... I can understand not wanting to test for Ebola.

I also agree that this man was one of the few people that were high risk for Ebola. He must have had medical assurance that this was mild and treated. He wouldn't put his family or friends at risk.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

No but if you were hemorrhaging he should have

However I see the point you're making.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lady_Tuatha

If you were recently returned from Sierra leone where some of your colleagues contracted ebola and where there is a bad outbreak of the virus then yes, yes he should.

Did he know his colleague had tested positive for Ebola? He might not have.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chipkin9

No but if you were hemorrhaging he should have

However I see the point you're making.

Actually, as I had a massive sinus infection, I had had a solid bloody nose for three days which is what prompted me to finally go. So, yes, I had been hemorrhaging.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I would have to say that's negligence on your Dr's behalf; and he should have tested you for Ebola

On a more serious note though, I hope you're feeling better!

edit on 21-8-2014 by Chipkin9 because:I don't know how quote particular posts or parts of posts and I messed my own post up several times!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join