It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention ATS Members - Adopt an ATS Platoon

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Hi All,

(I'm still pretty new here, so I hope I'm doing this correctly. Not sure if this is the right forum to use.)

Some of the members on one of the other threads suggested I start a new topic/thread.

We'd like to get members together to help sponsor some soldiers in Iraq who are not able to make it home for the holidays. The soldiers we are talking about are those with no (or very little) family to support them and send them gifts.

I made some calls and may be able to get a group of Marines and Army soldiers to adopt. We can even post results, letters, and feedback from our efforts here at ATS.

Here is the thread in which it was brought up:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Anybody interested, please feel free to U2U me or post to this thread. It would also be interesting to see the letters we receive and post to this site (along w/photos and misc.) I'm also looking for anyone who may know how to add some UK (or other?) soldiers to our "new family".

(I'll update this post as I find new info and/or ideas come in)

Don't 'deny' our troops!

Cheers,

SourGrapes

[edit on 5-12-2004 by SourGrapes]

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I'm interested.
Also on the thread you mentioned , I posted a couple of ways of doing the same for the UK troops

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm
I'm interested.
Also on the thread you mentioned , I posted a couple of ways of doing the same for the UK troops

Yes, I did see it. Thank you very much! Although, if we are going to put forth such a project I'd rather use a more 'personal' approach. I'd like to see pics and letters from those who receive our letters and packages.

I'm not sure how some of those sites run, but how do we know our efforts aren't just that, 'efforts'. (I know sometimes these packages sent through some of the organizations do not make it past 'supply'. It really depends on how it's addressed.)

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
See if you can figure out what rules we need to follow in sending items. Whats acceptable/not acceptable just so there will be no confusion.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Count me in.

Great idea, SourGrapes.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Sour Grapes, you have come up with a great idea, especially this time of year. I have plenty of time on my hands this time of year, and being a former soldier, understand what is like not to have all of life's convienences. I would be glad to help, and can actually assist in any means neccesary, if phones are needed, etc. no problem- To stage this through ATS would be awesome.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
adopt a platoon eh? Sounds okay to me as long as the platoon is actually 16 to 44 soldiers in us army standards.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rifleman
adopt a platoon eh? Sounds okay to me as long as the platoon is actually 16 to 44 soldiers in us army standards.

Well, we won't actually adopt a 'platoon' per say. We'll make our own "ATS Platoon! (Well, my thoughts - so any opinions/ideas are greatly appreciated!!!) I'd rather organize troops from a few different branches of military and not a whole platoon. In our hearts and minds, they will be 'our' platoon!

How awesome will that be to wake up one day and see a photo posted to ATS showing guys in uniform holding a sign which reads "Deny Ignorance"?

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Awesome indeed!!! One of the most remarkable things here is, it doesn't matter whether you stand on the left or right politically, or how you feel about the war itself....
we can all join forces with a common goal that transcends opinion:
To help spread a little (holiday) cheer to those who cannot be at home for the holidays.

Well, ms Grapes you got a way above vote from me. This is one rockin project, and I am proud to be a part of it.

You have voted SourGrapes for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

( As a thanks and
for the project itself, as well as the unifying results it offers ATS-ers)

[edit on 5-12-2004 by duh squared]

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by duh squared

Well, ms Grapes you got a way above vote from me. This is one rockin project, and I am proud to be a part of it.

Ah, thank you! Although, maybe should save the votes for 'after' we pull this off! Then we'll all deserve 'em!

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Well now that more of us are getting involved here, I am growing confident in the plan. Either way it is a great idea, with a lot of thought and heart put into it, and I think that qualifies you as worthy of a way above.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
You have recieved my vote for way above too. as duh squared stated i believe if this gets enough attention it will unite ATS in a way as it has never been before. I have alerted a few of my friends about this effort and hope to have there support shortly.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
hmm sounds cool, I have a photo of me doing a patrol in a USA AFB which i will not tell you the exact location, but i don't really ave any pics of me in the frontlines in iraq.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Items not allowed:

* Anything considered 'obscene' (nudity, profanity, you get the idea)
* Anything considered 'religious' or 'political'
* Anything that may be considered taboo to the muslim faith/religion
* Anything pork, or made w/pork by products.

Things they need/want:

* Toiletries (even toilet paper, believe it or not!)
* Disposable cameras
* Phone Cards
* Candies and snacks
* Playing cards
* Video games
* Music CDs

I am willing to donate money and time for the cause. Anyone else with ideas of what to send please let us know.

It'd be nice if a mod were to get involved - If we do this in time, we can even have the ATS logo placed onto some of the items we send. However, I'd never do that with out permission from the site.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I'm not trying to detract from any one armed forces member, nor the awesome idea that sourgrapes has, I am sure that a lot of you may not know this , I know of one ATS member, who currently is in Iraq (members name is medic) I sent him an email saying hey and what he might like , and how to get it to him. For the other members that may have had interaction with him, you could possibly do the same, search members under his name (medic) and click on his email.

Just a thought.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm
I'm not trying to detract from any one armed forces member, nor the awesome idea that sourgrapes has, I am sure that a lot of you may not know this , I know of one ATS member, who currently is in Iraq (members name is medic) I sent him an email saying hey and what he might like , and how to get it to him. For the other members that may have had interaction with him, you could possibly do the same, search members under his name (medic) and click on his email.

Just a thought.

Actually, awesome idea! Any other members on ATS who are in Iraq, or if you know of some who will be away on the holiday, please U2U me their IDs. (Remember, we gotta take care of our 'own' first - right?)

LL1

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This may be of help for your well thought out project:

www.militarymoms.net...

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LL1
This may be of help for your well thought out project:

www.militarymoms.net...

Yes, that does help. Thanks.

I emailed the group. Hopefully, they'll have some great advice!

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes
How awesome will that be to wake up one day and see a photo posted to ATS showing guys in uniform holding a sign which reads "Deny Ignorance"?

A US soldier denying ignorance .. that would be a primer.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mokuhadzushi

Originally posted by SourGrapes

A US soldier denying ignorance .. that would be a primer.

Are you saying our soldiers are 'ignorant'? Is it just the 'U.S.' soldiers? Please elaborate! (I'd love for your ignorance to shine in your next post!)

(I'm grabbing a drink for this one! Yes, this will be fun!)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join