It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentegon Broke Law in Bergdahl Swap . . Watchdog Finds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Just came across this as a status to my phone. I'm not sure what actions will, or won't, be taken but it seems they weren't within the law while performing this mission.

Congressional investigators say the Pentagon violated the law when it swapped five Taliban leaders for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, who was held prisoner in Afghanistan for five years.

The nonpartisan Government Accountability Office says the Defense Department's failure to notify the relevant congressional committees at least 30 days in advance of the exchange broke the law.

The GAO also says the Pentagon's use of funds to conduct the transfer, when no money was available, was a violation of the Antideficiency Act which bars spending by agencies above the amount of money that Congress has obligated.

In May, five senior Taliban were released from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in exchange for Bergdahl, who had disappeared in 2009. Under exchange terms, the five Taliban are to remain in Qatar for a year.

Link To Article
edit on 8/21/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/21/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
WOW! A whole year to plan more murders of Americans. Why don't Barry just give them 800 million dollars and slide them thru on some immigration status? Where"s the facepalm slap emoticon? a reply to: OptimusCrime

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: w8tn4it

I agree. For a guy that deserted his post. Should have left him over there, let alone give them 5 for 1. What a joke!

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimusCrime

Based on direct orders of Obama, who also broke the law by issuing the order.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
So this guy deserts his post, a complete douche move in my book. Then not only is he 'saved' from whatever fate would have came to him, but we give up 5 upper level bad guys to get him back and spend a bunch of money we don't even have to make it happen? Sweet! I'm more and more proud to be an American each day!

edit on 8/21/2014 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   

The GAO does NOT get the recognition and kudos they deserve. Most people have NO idea who they even are. My Dad was a regional manager in charge of 11 states for the GAO at one point, with a top secret clearance as a grade 17. If you want to know who told the public about the $400 nut or $1000 toilet seat or why the F35 is such a piece of crap, its because of the excellent investigative people in GAO. Unfortunately, they report to Congress. And Congress is a bunch of self serving a-holes that get nothing done that doesn't help out someone else politically, which is why when even the Defense Department says they don't need any more of an item, Congress forces them to continue ordering more to keep the jobs going and pay political debts to defense contractors, though there are many more examples outside of the defense industry as well. My father believed most of Congress was either stupid, crooked, or both, though he did hold a very few in higher esteem. GO GAO! Help the public learn about the corruption, fraud, and waste!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
We knew something stunk. We see laws bent or broken and nothing gets done when government officials are involved. I mean. who can prosecute when the DOJ is in your back pocket?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Didn't Bergdahl get promoted and reinstated?

Anyway, the U.S was right to go get him, no man left behind and all that.

Only thing that makes me wonder about what's going on there is the trade for the 5 Taliban.
Maybe they've been reprogrammed and sent back?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

Didn't Bergdahl get promoted and reinstated?

Anyway, the U.S was right to go get him, no man left behind and all that.

Only thing that makes me wonder about what's going on there is the trade for the 5 Taliban.
Maybe they've been reprogrammed and sent back?

I would believe it if is was 1 for 1, MAYBE, but 5 or 1 is pushing it. He has been cited as abandoning his post by his peers. To put it in to perspective, a journalist just got beheaded and to believe bergdahl can just be let free, I don't believe it.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Obama has broken plenty of laws and subverted the
constitution on several occasions. They are only
talking about this now to justify why they didn't
make the trade for Foley or any of the other
Americans now being held captive by ISIS.
Nothing will be done about Obama breaking
this law anymore then what has been done
to him for breaking other laws.....NOTHING.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: orbitbaby

I agree with you 100%.

top topics

join