It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Half-dozen holes found at Mount Baldy (Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

From Chicago Tribune

Five holes have been discovered in the shifting sands of Mount Baldy since the dramatic rescue last summer of Nathan Woessner, a then-6-year-old who fell into a deep hole and spent four hours trapped beneath at least 11 feet of sand before being pulled out alive.

The most recent hole was discovered this week when a scientist studying the massive 126-foot dune at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore felt the sand collapse under his foot. A layer of sand had obscured the hole, making it look solid from above. But when researchers looked closer, they discovered a depression that was about 10 inches wide and 41/2 feet deep, a size that "a small child could easily fall into," said the scientist, Todd A. Thompson, assistant director of research at the Indiana Geological Survey.

and more from NatGeo

Decomposing trees, dilapidated houses, and other items buried over 70 years by a rapidly moving sand dune could be responsible for a sudden and mysterious hole that swallowed a six-year-old boy at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore last summer.

While about six more holes have been discovered since last summer, others may have gone unnoticed, researchers said.

There are more sources stating, rather, pretty much the same things.

This is weird, their explanation makes sense, and very well may be the case, after all, rotting wood would leave holes right? As it is a working theory and they are still looking for other explanations while attempting to gather evidence for their current theory.

One can't help to wonder about their similarity to, though much smaller, than those holes seen in Siberia discussed here, here, and here and are attributed to methane gas blowing out/escaping the Earth after permafrost melts.

The two may not be related, and indeed caused by two very different factors; however, as each explanation is only a theory at this time I wonder if scientists will notice their similar lookign features...truly interesting.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
A different thing, I think. Dunes are constantly shifting and moving, which is how trees and houses and things get swallowed up in the first place. Whole neighborhoods can disappear under the dunes over time. It's a slow moving destruction. The wind picks up the outer layers of sands and pile them up elsewhere, covering anything in it's path. The lower layers probably remain fairly stable until exposed. It sounds like they are saying that as a previously engulfed tree or some other object rots away, an invisible hole is left in the sand.
edit on 21-8-2014 by eeyipes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
i think they should run a tank or an earth mover over the area to compact the ground before any other child gets into trouble there .

if these holes are caused by decaying trees or old buildings then i think there could be a danger of even bigger holes appearing in the future , just imagine if an old septic tank gives way .

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Indiana dunes are 23 square miles and who knows how deep. I don't think a dozer would do it.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
What a perfect time for someone to buy bigfoot shoes from Ebay and walk along the dunes. hehe
edit on 21-8-2014 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: eeyipes
Indiana dunes are 23 square miles and who knows how deep. I don't think a dozer would do it.

Wow! There's an export product right there. The UK is desperate for sand because their beaches are being washed away by tidal action and coastal erosion.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
All the plant life died!
see the film. why?
it is in a circle.
volcanics?

edit on 21-8-2014 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: buddha

The sands covered it up. It's like a micro Sahara, in a way. Dunes are fun. We used to go camping at the dunes in Michigan as a kid. Dune buggy rides, all that. Never heard of holes like this before, though.

top topics

join