It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any flight experts have any idear what i saw? very quiet, low altitude, high speed.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

Right now just an over the counter digital camera. I'm in the process of replacing a lot of stuff.

As for when, its usually a matter of staking out the usual places they fly out of.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Right on. My sighting was the lucky mid flight 1 in a million then I reckon? Just happened to be passing me at the exac time I looked up.

As for cameras may I suggest the Nikon d600 or d800 for taking these kind of pics. They have just absolute assinine megapixel ratings and you could zoom in on a zit on a gooses ass at 1000 feet no problem. Real work horse if your trying to zoom. Only gonna be able to take like 4 pics a second tho at top quality so gotta make them count

edit on 21-8-2014 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Just jumping in so I can get to it later for reference.
Seems the sightings are increasing.

Don't know how much Zaphod knows, or willing to spill.

If what I gather. That you're in northern Michigan. ( the part folks don't realise is not Wisconsin )

Its possible that these project are joint Canadian/U.S. .

Good that you caught a glimpse.

Part 2:
Zaphod. Do know if this is General Atomics?
Boeing? Or Lockheed?

I assume all 3 when bidding.
And if spotted that far north.. what is going on at former Glasgow AFB? ( Montana. St. Marie )
Could that be a possible sighting grounds?

Welp..I knew it was coming....going to get a really expensive 100Mp camera with night vision tomorrow..
Looked into some. Sad that it's the lenses that cost more it seems.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Aye aye captain the name of the game is glass. Lenses will bleed you dry for no good damn reason until you get "that pic"!

I'm actually in the lower peninsula just outside flint Michigan. By the sounds of it the plane was on its way south after takin a leisurely stroll along the sparsely populated US-Canada border region. I'm inferring the border region part but Im guessing this would be the smarted west to east path in my opinion, as ignorant as it is. He coulda came in over Minnesota or Wisconsin with ease and lower michigan is pretty well covered in trees unless your in farm area. Not exactly completely exposing yourself to take a night flight across the flint area. His heading would of takin him just north of Detroit and on out over Lake Erie if I'm not mistken unless he adjusted again somewhere.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   

As for what I know, quite a bit. What I'm willing to spill, not a damn thing. Not on this one.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Problem here with sky watching is trees. People think Texas and see wide open skies. But, over here on the eastern side of the state it's all piney woods forests. The city where I live is just over 100,000 and if you stood on a high hill overlooking it, you wouldn't know it was there. Much better plane spotting in the winter when all the leaves are gone. However, I would be happy to let Zaph capture one for me sooner.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SonofaSkunk

I'm actually planning a couple expeditions within the next year. We'll see if I catch anything.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

As for what I know, quite a bit. What I'm willing to spill, not a damn thing. Not on this one.

Thanks..

I trust you'll spill it when the time is right..

But this is hitting close to home here as I saw....

Something a week ago..( almost similar.. but really weired...low and.. hey its Pittsburgh.. not ready.. but I lived in Nevada. This rocked me... but I will say it was low and possibly a crew of one.. since I didn't see a chase crew..)

And you know I'm searching for the new toys...

Go get upgraded photo equipment.. ( I will happily give film from my am startle from c-5s from martinsburg's ANG...
I still have not had coffee..) what a rush. Twice a month.. but that's old aviation! Please Santa! What's new!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Some things don't get spilled, this is one of those. I spill what I safely can, but I know where the line is.

If I can catch anything I'll decide what if anything can be shared. Maybe I'll release it to the world and get famous.

Yeah, right.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Maybe I'll release it to the world and get famous.

infamous would probably be the better word lol.

i still think its amazing no ones caught the black bird replacement on film yet.. all the talks of the aurora and whatnot but no pics. if i recall from my reading the blackbird had a good little buzz about it in the black plane watching crowd? i thought i remember someone got a good clear pic of it taking off in the desert or something like that?

should i be worried that she got a good look at me? not fitted with such kit? man i love fishing for rolls... especially croissant rolls..... maybe her job requires teeth instead of spectacles?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Thanks..

I trust you'll spill it when the time is right..

But this is hitting close to home here as I saw....

Something a week ago..( almost similar.. but really weired...low and.. hey its Pittsburgh.. not ready.. but I lived in Nevada. This rocked me... but I will say it was low and possibly a crew of one.. since I didn't see a chase crew..)

And you know I'm searching for the new toys...

Go get upgraded photo equipment.. ( I will happily give film from my am startle from c-5s from martinsburg's ANG...
I still have not had coffee..) what a rush. Twice a month.. but that's old aviation! Please Santa! What's new!

Well just wrote a whole response..

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Oh I'm already infamous.

Nothing to worry about as far as seeing her. They rolled the dice and still came out ahead. No pics, so as far as they're concerned its all good.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   

from what I've been reading around these parts even getting pics of some of these new projects is going to be tough? like even if you have your camera and proper kit... new gadgets to jam optical devices using night vision?

guessing takeoff and landing would probably be best times to catch them with there pants down? maybe not tho, thats probably when id have the optical camo on first and foremost imo..

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Zaphod..
I had something of a GRB ( gamma ray burst happen here last week..)

PO'd I have to rewrite this..( it flipped out ) ATS crashes again!

Headed north west over Pittsburgh.. trying to watch for meteors is what I was doing.
The plane was the size if a 737.
Except more of a triangle very pointy with no chase crew. Not rq predator like the poster described ( it was dark grey almost transparent once up against its background) Unlike as the poster described.
Just after sunset.
I can't believe I'm admitting this..
Have not seen something like this since 92. In Nevada and that was the first stealth fighter bomber used in Iraq.

edit on 22-8-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   

the wichita/texas triangles heading east?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: mindseye1609

the wichita/texas triangles heading east?

No.. totally pointier..
I saw that back then.

Not kidding..
This craft.. blew a super nova out its butt.
But not green..

Opaque to super bright bluish!

With all the other air traffic next to Pittsburgh international..
No sound.. sorry..

Also my sighting was a perfect paper plane..( pointy )
Not a straight winged craft...

But you can bet I'm spending cash when I get up...
Nikon/Cannon..... I'll be paying more for lenses.

Glad you saw something. Now I know I'm not as crazy as I thought I was....

Actually since it had the aviation lights..I just thought to myself.. hmmm that's new..

Edit. I can check my twitter..
I twitted Amy Mainzer( JPL NASA NEO scientist) when it happened. Swore I saw a gamma ray burst or iss break wind.
edit on 22-8-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Close to the ground is always your best bet. The nature of the programs narrows the launch and recovery windows down quite a bit.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

LOL you know every pilot that gets to fly that sucker gets a big ole smile on there face when they finally get to see they ill be flying a paper airplanesque craft!

we talking about the aurora here maybe?

a good tip for the lenses thats served me very well in the past is check amazon and go through the used sellers and look for photo studios. i got a wide angle that retails for $1300 for $500 bucks and it was as good as new. even smelled new.

look for high % ratings obviously but more then that look for a 95%+ rating on people with a ton of sales. i couldnt tell you a good number off hand just check a few sellers and you can get a good medium. 100 sales is not many tho so watch out.

long story short photo studios like to have cutting edge lenses and they often replace older lenses that they no longer have a use for. the one i got is probably 6-7 down from the top when it comes to wide angle zoom lenses but I'm not shooting on a super professional level either so its not a need. my 6-7 down from the top lens has taken so many stunning pictures that have blown people away, they definitely wouldn't of been able to tell that it wasn't the best lens EVER!! lol go used lenses. and so much for short story huh lol

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Close to the ground is always your best bet. The nature of the programs narrows the launch and recovery windows down quite a bit.

But from where?

Things seem to be speeding up..
Like I said..
Have not seen this since 92 in Reno.

And riverside California.. since SR-71 since 79

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   

this one stay low to keep possible sightings to a minimum time and amount of people able to see it? to stay under radar? whatever radar there is? to show off? "HAH we flew it 3000 miles at 750' and only that one doofus in Michigan looked up!!" lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join