It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola-Psychosis: Ebola-Fueled Racism On the Rise in Europe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
At first I thought all the panicky reporting of every suspected international case was just silly. Then I realized how very well it fits into Eugenics and other agendas like anti-immigration schemes. Not frivolous at all, and slipping way out of control.

Ebola-Fueled Racism Is on the Rise in Europe

A Berlin building locked down after an African woman faints. An African man with a nosebleed removed from a mall in Brussels. With Ebola panic spreading, racial profiling could be next.

When a black woman from Africa collapsed at a business meeting in Berlin on Tuesday, German police dispatched more than 60 police officers and firefighters to lock down the building, isolating some 600 people who worked there. …

the woman, as it turns out, just had a stomach virus. She had returned from Kenya, but she had not been to any of the West African nations affected by the Ebola outbreak. Being African was apparently enough to spark the frenzy.

Similar incidents have been reported across Europe. In Brussels, an African man with a nosebleed was reportedly whisked out of a shopping mall in late July, and the store he was in sterilized before he tested negative for the virus. In the United Kingdom, the body of a woman from the Gambia who died after falling ill following a flight from the Gambia to London was sequestered until it could be tested for Ebola, even though she had no symptoms or known contact with anyone with the virus. In Italy, some schools have sent out warnings that any students of African origin would be required to have additional health certificates prior to starting school, though no requests were made of white children who may have been to Africa on summer vacations.

…As fears of the virus hitting Europe intensify, health officials warn that paranoia and racial profiling may grow, as well. “We need to be prudent without being paranoid,” Italy’s health minister, Beatrice Lorenzin, said …. “It is not fair to assume all black people are potential Ebola carriers. That is blatant racism.”

edit on 21/8/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I live in Korea. They're putting up signs all over the tourist's district banning Africans from their establishments. I'll get pics if I can, but I don't go down there with any frequency. Might make a special trip just for this thread.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I get that with the Plague history in Europe, a virulent disease running rampant again is a massive fear, but come on. This is not an excuse to be stupid and profile, this isn't a contest of who can be dumber than Americans...

Snarl, I know blacks are stigmatized and distrusted in Korea, but wow, outright signage?

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Im pretty sure this is not racism. On one hand we have people saying we dont do enough to curb the spread. Now people are stating those who do take precautions are racist.

What do you suggest we do. Ignore ill black people as it could be regarded by some fools as being racist? The epidemic is mainly affecting countries with a black majority. How can it be racist when taking precautions in order to stop infecting millions of people.

This is a bit silly if you ask me. The racist callers are at it again. Only this time it could jeopardise the lives of millions.

I understand there may be some fools that will use it as an excuse to be racist. But ensuring ill people are in fact not contagious, is common sense to me, especially if those people show symptoms like the ones caused by Ebola, which the ones in the article do.

edit on 21-8-2014 by Daavid because: (no reason given)

I know in the UK white people were quarantined even though they didnt have the disease.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Snarl, I know blacks are stigmatized and distrusted in Korea, but wow, outright signage?

Yep. Wife knows I'm watching this develop and told me it was on the news this a.m.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daavid
Im pretty sure this is not racism. On one hand we have people saying we dont do enough to curb the spread. Now people are stating those who do take precautions are racist.

What do you suggest we do. Ignore ill black people as it could be regarded by some fools as being racist? The epidemic is mainly affecting countries with a black majority. How can it be racist when taking precautions in order to stop infecting millions of people.

This is a bit silly if you ask me. The racist callers are at it again. Only this time it could jeopardise the lives of millions.

I understand there may be some fools that will use it as an excuse to be racist. But ensuring ill people are in fact not contagious, is common sense to me, especially if those people show symptoms like the ones caused by Ebola, which the ones in the article do.

I know in the UK white people were quarantined even though they didnt have the disease.

Lest it not be forgotten how people reacted when AIDS first hit the headlines!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Yes, please. Thank you.

S&

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Daavid

...I'm pretty sure this is not racism. ....What do you suggest we do. Ignore ill black people ...? How can it be racist when taking precautions in order to stop infecting millions of people.

Lots of white people go to Africa to work and for vacation - but nobody's jumping all over them. Guess you didn't read the quote:

...any students of African origin would be required to have additional health certificates prior to starting school, though no requests were made of white children who may have been to Africa on summer vacations.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rodinus

Kindest respects

Rodinus

What do you suggest they do. If a person who has visited those countries suddenly becomes ill?

Ignore them or ensure they are not infected with ebola? Its one or the other. It may seem a little paranoid (even racist) but millions of lifes could be affected. It is not Aids.

I do understand the point you make, but shouldn't we be safe, not just for the uninfected, but also for the possibly infected. Im sure the people who do fall ill are relieved to be tested and found to be negative.

What do you suggest they do?

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I don't think it's racism. It's Ebola-ism. If a white person, who had just come from Africa, collapsed at a meeting or had a nose-bleed, I expect they would have done the same thing! Who wouldn't be a tad freaked out if someone, white or black, sitting next to them at a meeting said they just got back from Kenya... then suddenly collapsed or got a nosebleed! Color has nothing to do with it. It's... Location, location, location!!! And Africa happens to be the epicenter of this.

Put another way... if a Scandinavian country (and not Africa) was running rampant with Ebola and a white person from the general vicinity traveled to Kenya and collapsed in a meeting, Kenyans would feel terribly concerned. Not because of blue eyes and blond hair, either. Because of the fear of Ebola being in the room with them.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

...I'm pretty sure this is not racism. ....What do you suggest we do. Ignore ill black people ...? How can it be racist when taking precautions in order to stop infecting millions of people.

Lots of white people go to Africa to work and for vacation - but nobody's jumping all over them. Guess you didn't read the quote:

...any students of African origin would be required to have additional health certificates prior to starting school, though no requests were made of white children who may have been to Africa on summer vacations.

I did read the quote. It may seem like racism to you but most resources must be focussed on the most POTENTIALLY affected people. As in ALL health scares. Just because they are black is not racist. The disease originated in 'black' countries. The same rules would apply to any nationals from a country with an infectious disease regardless of colour.

Just seems most come from the poorest countries.....Africa. It is not racist, its normal procedure.

Do you think if a white person came in from Africa and fell ill with these symptoms, they wouldn't be treated the same?

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rodinus

Kindest respects

Rodinus

What do you suggest they do. If a person who has visited those countries suddenly becomes ill?

Ignore them or ensure they are not infected with ebola? Its one or the other. It may seem a little paranoid (even racist) but millions of lifes could be affected. It is not Aids.

I do understand the point you make, but shouldn't we be safe, not just for the uninfected, but also for the possibly infected. Im sure the people who do fall ill are relieved to be tested and found to be negative.

What do you suggest they do?

I think you may have misinterpretated my post.

I was just pointing out that this has happened before but with the homosexual population throughout the planet when AIDS first hit the headlines (and still is in some areas)...

I totally agree that at the moment the Ebola epidemic concerns a majority of the black population coming from West Africa and that other countries should take the strictest measures concerning people who have arrived from Ebola hit areas when it comes to quarantine and health observation etc... however, the point I was trying to make is that what is happening in regards to racism with this epidemic is exactly what happened with AIDS... Maybe going to be even worse...

I hope I was clear enough?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

I do see your point now. I guess I cant see anything untoward happening with the Ebola thing yet. I agree it could be used by some racists as an excuse. But the details in the OP, are outlining standard procedure and in no way indicate that this would not have been any different if they were white, and just returned from Africa.

But, yeah, I get your point. Sorry for the confusion.

Like your avatar

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
There is another thread at the moment stating 75% of victims are women.

Is this going to be a sexist, racist thing now?

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I went ahead and found some of the offending sign pics from South Korea

from a restaurant in South Korea

linky

the establishment apologized the next day with a new sign.. They must not have expected such a backlash.

edit on 21-8-2014 by Lady_Tuatha because: to add more

edit on 21-8-2014 by Lady_Tuatha because: typo

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Whether or not you choose to recognize the problem, Ebola-psychosis IS manifesting as racism, and fueling anti-immigration bias. The fact that 75% of Ebola victims are women is another issue.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lady_Tuatha
I went ahead and found some of the offending sign pics from South Korea

from a restaurant in South Korea

linky

the establishment apologized the next day with a new sign.. They must not have expected such a backlash.

Just to be clear, I agree this is not right. I was just commenting on the OP. It seems they were being a little too paranoid. Thankfully, the people responded.

I have been a victim of racism, living in a country not my own so get a little concerned when people shout 'racism' when if fact it may not be. This creates an apathy towards the issue and results in people ignoring the real racism issues.

Saying that, Im glad this issue was brought up.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Whether or not you choose to recognize the problem, Ebola-psychosis IS manifesting as racism, and fueling anti-immigration bias. The fact that 75% of Ebola victims are women is another issue.

Well, not in my heart it isn't. I was shocked and dismayed that two Ebola incubators (the doc & aide worker) were flown to Emory. I could care less how much melanin is in the cells of their skin. My ONLY concern was the virus they were harboring.
edit on 8/21/2014 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

You are aware the EU are putting millions into fighting this outbreak in africa.

EU and Ebola

Also, white people have been detained amid concerns about the disease. In fact a Spanish priest died from it the other day. (he was quarantined as per normal (not racist) procedure). Just like the people in the OP, he displayed signs, so they quarantined him just the same, only this time, he did in fact have it.

Again, Im not saying this could not turn into a racist agenda. Just the points in the OP do not suggest it to me.....not yet.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: new_here

Well, not in my heart it isn't. ....

You mean, The fact that 75% of Ebola victims are women is another issue. ....?

[btw - This thread is about Europe's response. ...?]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join