It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liveleak Stops Showing IS 'Beheading' Videos

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Liveleak have stopped showing IS beheading videos.

We will not be showing further beheadings carried out by IS. We've shown the world the true horror of this form of execution more than once in the past and we cannot find any compelling reason to even be thought of as promoting the actions of this group. We know they do not find support here on LL and that condemnation is virtually universal but there is no reason at all to show more
beheadings. Nothing changes about them, they're still relentlessly grim and no deeper insight will be offered by descending into some grotesque "beheading of the week" scenario.
Read more at www.liveleak.com...

In response to the massive amount of traffic looking to see American hostage James Foley's execution by IS Liveleak have decided to stop hosting videos of executions by beheading. They do not want to give IS the platform to disseminate their barbaric from of propaganda.

I for one support this decision taken by Liveleak. I have held that these videos should be available to the public in the past as they show the very shocking and horrific deeds committed by human beings against each other, and that we as a free society in the West should be made aware of the realities of the conflict in Iraq and Syria, however I have never recommended that anybody view them, it is entirely up to the individual of course.

The increasing number of beheading videos coming from the conflict in Iraq and Syria available online is testament to the media savvy of IS, many of their members come from Western countries and are well educated in the use of multimedia, the recent Foley video is a good example in my opinion. Many on here suspect that the Foley execution is a hoax, I personally think that it is edited precisely that way to maximise the audience who will view it, believe me, even the strongest stomachs amongst us would have a hard time sitting through a whole video of an actual beheading.

I commend Liveleak on their decision. With their ban on these videos IS's audience is greatly reduced. It won't stop IS from doing these videos, although they probably wouldn't behead a person if there were no cameras around to record the act or at least they would wait until somebody went and got a filming device, but it will lessen their propaganda clout.

Edit: Mods I'm not sure if this thread is in the correct forum, please move if necessary.

edit on 21-8-2014 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Good on them. I agree totally, when we share these videos we are giving them what they want. I also think the beheadings will increase unfortunately because of how much attention the James Foley video got.
edit on 21-8-2014 by Shepard64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I can kind of see the point....though, I wonder, will liveleak take down their 4 part series (won't even name it here) of "recruiting" videos? Will they take down numerous other snuff vids?

While reducing the audience, wouldn't it also be a convenient way to control the information? A convenient way to also stigmatize and profile those who do seek the videos and such elsewhere (other websites that are more "underground")......In thinking about the warnings to UK citizens that it could be illegal to view or download the Foley beheading video, I wonder....maybe this is a way to "flush out" those that will go elsewhere (somewhere that has to be actively sought) to find the truth....because it is the truth, regardless who it offends or how put off the world is.

I can see both sides here....but censorship is a VERY slippery slope. Though, this is sort of a "new game"....this, using social media to display such things on such a scale, so.......it needs some thought, these are just some initial musings in response to hearing this news........as always, on ATS first.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Good move.

You don't need to see it to conceptualize the trauma associated with being decapitated.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Jakal26

I think you're right on this, however I also think that this is limited censorship that Liveleak are applying here, and that is due to the subject matter i.e. sawing at somebodies neck for a few minutes until their head becomes separated from their bodies. This act is especially gruesome and shocking to behold, the filming and dissemination of such things are of high value to those who wish to make political statements, they are deliberate and powerful attempts to install fear and disgust in their audiences.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Why?
How many thousands of other places is that movie available?
How many people have downloaded it?
ISIS have many different means to distribute these movies.

live-leak will take some serious backlash, people go there for the hard to watch movies.

Why is there so much pressure being enforced by governments against ISIS? yet, Iraqi movies - Afghan Movies - Ukraine Movies - Chechen movies are ignored?

Somethings up!

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I never got to see the Video, although admittedly I wasn't in desperation to see a mans head being sliced off and I'd say this is the right decision.

All these 'Jihadists' want is exposure and to recruit and to strike fear into people who aren't down for their Sharia!

It's a shame they even have means to upload these things to the Internet!

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: seabhac-rua

This act is especially gruesome and shocking to behold, the filming and dissemination of such things are of high value to those who wish to make political statements, they are deliberate and powerful attempts to install fear and disgust in their audiences.

Well said, and agreed. Though, I would argue that as much as they are intended to instill fear and disgust, they are also intended to show the strength of IS.....and that would explain the edit of the Foley video. (basically, it took a bit longer than just saw saw done....and that would make the executioner appear "weak" and like it was his "first rodeo"...and at this point, that is not the goal)

Though, I have to agree with some that commented on the LL statement......it is strange that this comes after the "shocking" beheading of an American. They have showed COUNTLESS beheadings and executions by IS. They allowed all that. I have literally watched as hundreds (if not thousands) were executed in a variety of way. The 4 part series was an eye-opener into the psyche of these sick #.......personally, I'd rather face it on this screen in front of me, so if the enemy is at the door, I am not "shell shocked" into non-action, but that is just me. Others opinions vary.

I just think censorship is a slippery slope and it appears that this censorship is coming from "the top" vs LL's wishes. (like I said, appears they didn't care until it was this particular video)

But I do "get it".......when I can go to LL (or others) and this stuff is front page....I don't even have to log in. Just "confirm" I am 18 or older and poof, I'm watching a beheading. That, I have always had issues with, though, even then......

arrrggg.....just hard for me to condone censorship, content be damned. But again, I do "get it".

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I guess we will have to take their word that they beheaded someone.

Next video we will hear about is how ISIS beheaded 5 American troops. We will have to take their word, never see proof and then go on a full scale invasion of Iraq.

But we will believe it happened with no proof.

I myself, hate those videos, but at least its proof.

So i guess we'll just take their word, just like everything else.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: BerenstEiner

You are hitting on the problem I have with this and what I was getting at with my posts. I agree.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I don't know about this one.

My first emotional response is yeah I can see where showing the video could be some form of encouragment.

However, logically do we really expect them to stop beheadings, torture, or violence in general because they are not getting their 15 minutes of fame?

Was Foley killed and beheaded because they wanted attentions and if it wasn' for the internet he would still be alive? If so , aren't they still going to get that attention by the MSM . Sure, they aren't going to show the footage but they are going to disclose the action that he was beheaded.

Should than the MSM media stop reporting on news on labeled terrorists or labeled criminals as it could give them their 15 minutes of fame?

Does watching the video really give them their 15 minutes of fame or 15 minutes of infamy. I would suggest the MSM editied version is more likely to give them their 15 minutes of Fame while the actual video will give them 15 of infamy.

Tough call , eitheway they have won: 1. they get their 15 minutes and 2. we loose freedom of information.

I would not be surprised if liveleak got a call and some form of encouragement on this decision.
edit on 09831America/ChicagoThu, 21 Aug 2014 09:09:45 -0500up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

either way they have won: 1. they get their 15 minutes and 2. we loose freedom of information.

This....

They appear to have been "winning" for some time now.....

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Well they beheaded an American.. Its all good when they are beheading Iraqis. BUt as soon as you behead an American you are cut off...

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
In terms of beheading videos this one showed very little of the actual deed. It was still gruesome nonetheless. Liveleak not showing them simply drives their traffic elsewhere. Ogrish gave them a lot of their user base so I have no idea what they hope to achieve from this..

This video was a lot more about showing a western educated terrorist making the threats imo showing how barbaric the followers of this jihad are.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Ummm nope. Many Americans have been shown slaughtered there in the past...

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: sn0rch
Ogrish gave them a lot of their user base so I have no idea what they hope to achieve from this..

Yeah me to, I think somebody made them an offer they couldn't or shouldn't refuse.

They have teanagers killed by Brazilian off duty cops on a daily basis , but this is to much?

Something doesn't appear right on the true motive for the decision taken.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Well, if you read the source page I think the reason for their decision is quite clear:

The last 24 hours have been a fairly intense affair here on LiveLeak given the sheer volume of traffic we've dealt with from people looking for the James Foley beheading video. This has also raised some issues and concerns which we have had several meetings about regarding the entire situation.

Read more at www.liveleak.com...

The Foley execution video has generated a big stir in the mainstream, many people who would never venture onto Liveleak(and other sites hosting graphic and disturbing content) have been seeking this video out. And again, because of the edit of the video most people will watch it in it's entirety, which is exactly what the makers of this video intended.

edit on 21-8-2014 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: seabhac-rua

Twitter will also no longer be supporting gruesome images, you know images terrorist groups like IS love to upload.

www.cnet.com...
edit on 21-8-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
for the following reason,,

,"And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them:
and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus,
and for the word of God,"

because it is prophecy being fullfilled.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

I can totally understand people's concerns over censorship regarding this matter.

While I still hold that Liveleak(and Twitter) made the right decisions, I think this issue is a tricky one.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join