It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good manners can now get you suspended

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Most organized religion absolutely sickens me, it's a plague on this Earth. But when public schools become so heavy handed against such religious beliefs, they are themselves becoming an organized religion, because they are suppressing freedom of thought and freedom of expression. Even in a private catholic school the children are allowed to question their teachers with scientific arguments, and it's the teachers job to explain how the bible can answer their questions. Public schools are nothing less than organized religion if they don't allow their children to think freely. Even modern day science is not entirely reliable, especially when it comes to the origin of the universe. Yet they teach these theories as if they were fact, and they forbid the children from exploring alternative creation scenarios. If that's not the definition of organized religion I don't know what is.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Id call her patriotic or a good student or any number of things

B isnt one of them

But to each their own I guess

She's a good student for disrupting class time for everyone else over a petty issue that she could have resolved privately between her and the teacher, the principal, the superintendent or whoever? Like I said, the rule is a bad rule, but please don't reward her bad behavior. There are better ways to go about that and she was just acting like an immature kid about it. That's it.

This situation is someone trying to justify two wrongs making a right.
edit on 22-8-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
a reply to: SuperFrog

'Gesundheit' also is the same as saying "bless you" since wishing good health to someone is a blessing.
Just like wishing harm on someone is a curse.

But yeah, I'm sure the teacher at this school would be too dumb to know and would have accepted 'Gesundheit'

I actually disagree - gesundheit has nothing to do with religion and god's blessing. It is just saying - 'On your health' - very similar like Slavic languages.

Wishing someone health and saying that god might bless them is bit different, don't you think so?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

'Gesundheit' also is the same as saying "bless you" since wishing good health to someone is a blessing.
Just like wishing harm on someone is a curse.
But yeah, I'm sure the teacher at this school would be too dumb to know and would have accepted 'Gesundheit'

I actually disagree - gesundheit has nothing to do with religion and god's blessing. It is just saying - 'On your health' - very similar like Slavic languages.

Wishing someone health and saying that god might bless them is bit different, don't you think so?

A bit different, yes, but just words. Just tradition and benign phrases that many people say. The two phrases likely meant to imply similar things back when they were relevant, when a sneeze might have meant something more than an awesome face orgasm.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
as reply to: Krazysh0t

The child is immature

Thats why shes a child

The teacher on the other hand is not a child and drserves to be called out

The fact it was done by an immature child shows where the true lack is

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

It was the teacher who tried to force her non-religious bigotry on children by insisting it is still used by everyone in a religious way when she made a point of it in her class. All of this could have been avoided if the teacher had left her anti-religous bigotry at home where it belonged and not created the issue in the first place. She is free to be an anti-religious bigot ( or "religionist bigot") at home as far as I am concerned, but she has no right to push her bigotry on children in the classroom. Using an antiquated meaning of the phrase to make a point of her bigotry.

What a great point! The teacher started this by telling her students they couldn't be respectful, basically. May as well send the other kid out too for saying "Thank you"

Most teenagers will naturally act out or back talk an adult because thats just how teenagers are! We all know because w were all teenyboppers at one point. Its was that teachers responsibility to be the mature adult prevent something like this from even happening. By simply writing that "forbidden" phrase up on her board she brougjt church into her class.

Leave the poor child alone people! Whether she said it to defend her rights or not she is still a child Still has got a looong way till figuring out the bigger picture and here shes everyone on her bck about saying "bless you?" What the heck, man?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut
as reply to: Krazysh0t

The child is immature

Thats why shes a child

The teacher on the other hand is not a child and drserves to be called out

The fact it was done by an immature child shows where the true lack is

EXACTLY! Two wrongs! That's what I've been saying this ENTIRE time. What don't you get?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite
A bit different, yes, but just words. Just tradition and benign phrases that many people say. The two phrases likely meant to imply similar things back when they were relevant, when a sneeze might have meant something more than an awesome face orgasm.

I have already posted that she was under influence of previous school principal, who is also her 'pastor'. www.abovetopsecret.com...

But let's look at this different way - should I side with my kid who got called into office because he practiced his free speech given to him by our constitution, or should I side with teacher that could not maintain healthy class environment due to my kids interruptions and not following the rules??

She is willingly doing this, knowing it will give her some 'fame' and imho is just another example how religion has bad influence on kids. Wonder would her pastor object if his Sunday mass gets all the time interrupted by people talking.

Wouldn't you consider following class rules as good manners??

And what really tick me off is that most likely people who are pushing this kind of crap on teachers, making it harder for teachers to perform their job are most likely also to yell that there should be way to check how teachers are doing... all in hope to replace them...

edit on 22-8-2014 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Oh, your kid of course. That doesn't mean your kid shouldn't get a good old-fashioned stern talking to once home.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I have to add one more...

For those so concerned about the wording of that phrase, give it some time. Once Ebola spreads itself around a bit more, a sneeze will receive a response of "Run", not "God Bless".

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
1. Can some good and knowledgeable Christian point out the injunction in the Bible to call down God's blessing on the sneezers?

Something along the lines I suppose of the Sermon on the Mount?

"Bless the sneezers for they shall be called the Snotty of God?"

Something like that? (Or was it the ones doing the blessings that were the Snotty ones? Can't remember)

2. Was she acting in the capacity of a priest or religious official to formally invoke a Benediction?

3. Would she also be defended here if she had ejaculated "God Cursed* Viruses"

(Which would actually be closer to a "religious" action, yes?)

*Curse obviously stands in for the common word beginning with d and ending with n that signifies the same thing but would be against T&C to post here.

4. I find it very, very difficult to accept that a teacher would remark on "godly" speech, that sounds a heck of a lot more like a biased representation by a rabid religionist (the "youth pastor" perhaps) who may have coached the young lady in what to say? Or were we just all ready to host a press conference in the church sanctuary.

edit on 9Fri, 22 Aug 2014 09:18:45 -050014p092014866 by Gryphon66 because: NOted.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

A modern christian has as much idea as anyone else about the phrases origins. It's my understanding that it came about back when plagues were prevalent and you'd say "god bless you" or something similar in order to keep god close and the sneezer healthy. The story I used to hear was that people used to think a sneeze was your body trying to push the devil out, so same deal.

I'd be willing to bet there are more than a few superstitions and tales about why people say stuff when we sneeze.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

So, saying "bless you" is a cultural reaction rather than a religious action?

Would it follow that a student who yelled "bless you" across a quiet classroom was being disruptive rather than exercising religious beliefs?

Interesting.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Another thing if I may be granted a bit of leniency, I have been in many threads with member Benevolent Heretic.

I would just like to note, for the record, that this user is among the best on the site, in my opinion, at staying on topic and contributing meaningful information to these discussions, not to mention, exhibiting politeness.

I am personally appalled that anyone would try to shut down this user's valuable and free expression by suggesting that their participating in threads is somehow trolling.

Such an assertion is pure, unmitigated balderdash.

Best,

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

So, saying "bless you" is a cultural reaction rather than a religious action?

Would it follow that a student who yelled "bless you" across a quiet classroom was being disruptive rather than exercising religious beliefs?

Interesting.

Yeah, I after a day or so of thinking it over and reading the story and this thread - I'm leaning towards the student just being a disruptive little sht.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I myself seem to assign more blame to the "youth pastor" figure ... she seemed all too "ready" to capitalize on the young lady's situation.

I am put in mind of Mark 9:42: ""If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them if a large millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the sea."

Hear hear, Jesus, hear hear.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
I have to add one more...

For those so concerned about the wording of that phrase, give it some time. Once Ebola spreads itself around a bit more, a sneeze will receive a response of "Run", not "God Bless".

Absolutely the best response in the entire thread.

LOL

You are so correct, spot on, prophetic, psychic, a time traveler? who has seen the future?

I love it, the new response to someone sneezing anywhere, shout loudly "Run", once Ebola gets here

But don't ever say goodbye anymore, never , ever, that has a religious meaning, "God be with ye"

Just yell "run" and "everyone get the he.. outta here"

once Ebola spreads like all the projections

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

And what really tick me off is that most likely people who are pushing this kind of crap on teachers, making it harder for teachers to perform their job are most likely also to yell that there should be way to check how

teachers are doing... all in hope to replace them...

Unfortunately, I don't think sneezing or saying a bless you has anything to do with them performing their job.

edit on 22-8-2014 by PageLC14 because: Eta: misword

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I'd be interested as to why "Bless You" is on the teachers forbidden word/phrase list. I bet there's a backstory.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I am personally appalled that anyone would try to shut down this user's valuable and free expression by suggesting that their participating in threads is somehow trolling.

I am appalled that a so called educator would shut down the use of a polite phrase commonly used throughout all western cultures in a generally non-religious way. Even if it was a purely religious phrase, I don't see why non-offensive speech should be banned, that's a violation of freedom of speech, and I'm very sure that if this student took the school to court she would win. I've seen cases very similar to this in the past and the student took it to court and got compensation from the school because their constitutional rights were violated.

Maverick Couch can wear his “Jesus Is Not a Homophobe” T-shirt to school again – without fear of being suspended. The 16-year-old junior at Waynesville High School in Ohio has won a legal fight to wear the shirt, which was a gift from a friend’s aunt, on school grounds.

“I’m really blessed and happy,” he told msnbc.com on Tuesday, a week after he learned of a court action in his favor. “It’s just really amazing. I never thought it would come out like this.”

In the judgment entered May 21, U.S. District Judge Michael Barrett ordered school officials to allow Maverick to wear the T-shirt to school whenever he chooses. He also ordered the school district to pay $20,000 in damages and court costs to the teen.

Teen wins right to wear 'Jesus Is Not a Homophobe' T-shirt to school

If school officials had any doubt before, it’s clear now: First Amendment rights apply to all students on every day of the year

edit on 22/8/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join