It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good manners can now get you suspended

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
It just really seems to me like the teacher instigated the whole thing by making such ridiculous rules in the first place. Banning "bored" and "hang out" as well? As a teacher of kids in that age group, she should have known full well the kind of reaction kids would have to such arbitrary and seemingly pointless rules.

I regularly see postscripts and comments right here at ATS offering blessings and kind wishes of all sorts (namaste, etc), and have never seen anyone react negatively to them. It's simply a way to spread kindness to others, and in the case of sneezing, someone who may not be feeling well. Personally, I'll take all the blessings and happy thoughts that anyone wants to send my way, gladly!

edit on 21-8-2014 by eeyipes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: eeyipes

No one is debating that the rule is a bad rule, but the actions of the teenager speak for themselves. She did it deliberately to disrupt class time. I already said that there were more mature ways to go about challenging that rule that wouldn't have seen the girl suspended or disrupt class time.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
So she fought back against the rules, so if this was an atheist student proclaiming they were offend by someone wearing a cross, that would be just fine.

Fricken intolerant double standards prevalent today in our society, you can only push people so far and they are going to push back.

“There were several students who were talking about this particular faculty member there that was very demeaning to them in regard to their faith,”

Some classmates showed support Tuesday by wearing hand made bless you shirts.

And they have a right to do so IMHO.

It's not about the rule itself, it's about how she challenged it. Why didn't she just take her grievances to the principal and failing that, to the superintendent? Nope she just HAD to act out in class. It's her fault entirely.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: halfpint0701

Strange no one has mentioned how bless you after a sneeze came about.

The phrase "God bless you" is attributed to Pope Gregory the Great, who uttered it in the sixth century during a bubonic plague epidemic (sneezing is an obvious symptom of one form of the plague).

The exchangeable term "gesundheit" comes from Germany, and it literally means "health." The idea is that a sneeze typically precedes illness. It entered the English language in the early part of the 20th century, brought to the United States by German-speaking immigrants.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I think that the teacher is an idiot

Person sneezes, someone else says bless you..... Big deal

If I'd been the class it would have gone down like this. Person sneezes... Bob jumps up and screams Ebola virus. Bob runs out of the room screaming.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Mura44

Guess you proved my presumption. I had a feeling she shouted it out. Its still over the top though to suspend her for it unless she was ranting and raving like a loonatic for a long time. The teacher sounded like they were joking about it but Fox News made it sound like she was oppressing her. I knew this sounded like a load of BS.

a reply to: wmd_2008

I heard a different story. I heard it was believed when a person sneezed they thought the soul left the body so they blessed them to protect them from being possessed by a demon.

Im not sure if either of these are true origins or not.
edit on 21-8-2014 by Aural because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I'm willing to bet that if ATS randomly banned the word "banana", many of our members would find wonderfully imaginative ways to use it anyway, in protest. Maybe we should have a banned word of the day, just for fun.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

You mean like cuss words and hate speech? Because last I checked ATS DOES have banned words and people are banned or suspended for going around the word filter. Also ATS is a privately owned website, so they are legally allowed to ban any word they want.
edit on 21-8-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix
Last I heard students didn't check their constitutional rights at the door when entering the school although that seems to be what administrators and government wants everyone to believe.

School administrators are NOT the government. The Constitution limits the role of government, not individual school boards.

Students do not, the Court tells us in Tinker vs. Des Moines, "shed their constitutional rights when they enter the schoolhouse door." But it is also the case that school administrators have a far greater ability to restrict the speech of their students than the government has to restrict the speech of the general public. Student speech cases require a balancing of the legitimate educational objectives and need for school discipline of administrators against the First Amendment values served by extending speech rights of students.

Free Speech Rights of Students

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No, I mean random words that are not abusive, distracting, offensive or hateful in any way, like "platypus".

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I don't find the word s# (bad word for crap) abusive, distracting, offensive, or hateful, but it is banned anyways. It's not my decision though.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
But a very large portion of the population does, and uses these terms to address people in a hateful or aggressive manner. The hateful and aggressive manner in which they are so often used is why they are banned. They are meant to offend.

When was the last time you called someone a "platypus" to offend them, or hollered "banana!" after stubbing your toe. It's not the same thing.

I've just banned "platypus" and "banana" from your vocabulary, for no particular reason, except I don't like them.

That doesn't annoy you in the slightest?

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

It annoys me that I can't say s#, but again this isn't up for debate here because using ATS is a poor example since it is a privately owned website and subject to different laws and rights then a school is.

Though I don't know why you are insisting this point anyways, I've already told you that no one is debating that the rule not to say "bless you" in class was a dumb rule. It's the way that the girl acted out to confront the rule that is the issue that I have.
edit on 21-8-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I was never really arguing whether the kid was right or wrong, only that the teacher most certainly was asking for this type of reaction from her students. It was gonna happen in one fashion or another, with any of the banned "offensive" words on her list. You need to respect your students if you want them to respect you back, that's all.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Well that is a lesson that many teachers fail to learn. I have a teacher in my mind who didn't respect his students (and EVERY student hated him, even his peers disliked him) that caused the students to lash out against him several times (including an event that a friend and I perpetuated). But none of that makes it right.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Aural

I didn't "prove" anything. I don't know how the incident played out because I wasn't there. The only information I have is the link to the article in the OP. I'm just reading between the lines and throwing my personal experience into the gaps.

I don't know for certain that she was being deliberately disruptive, confrontational and obnoxious, I only suspect it.

And therefor I absolutely agree with KrazyshOt that her manner of dealing with an unconstitutional rule was wrong. Not the rule itself but the nature of her protest.

There is a time and place and effective manner to protest an unfair, unconstitutional rule, and as a high school teacher my classroom is not the place.

But perhaps I am wrong. I disagree with her methods and what she did, but she has drawn the media attention and support to her cause. It is a personal matter of priorities. My agenda, due to my nature and personality, is hardly ever political. I want peace, respect, and promotion of learning and understanding which leads to fulfilment and satisfaction, and therefore would be angry when someone else's motives and actions clash with mine.

I also think that if the school had made a big deal in the weeks before about their stupid rule, then a deliberate attempt to draw attention to a flouting of the rule needs to be dealt with because, quite simply, if one teen can be allowed to get away with disrespect for rules and authority it is the start of a slippery slope in a high school setting. Personal beliefs aside, rules are rules and they are there for everybody. If you don't like them then do something about it, but your actions should not hurt or harm others. And, sorry, the school teacher in me coming out again, disruption to learning is hurtful and harmful to others.

And yet I believe that it is necessary to society to have people who are willing to challenge authority and protest for what they believe in. But surely there is a non confrontational way to do this?

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

No, not right, but perhaps your teacher learned a valuable lesson from it. Hopefully this one did. Kids do stupid kid stuff. It's a part of growing up. As the mature one in the classroom, it's up to the teacher to cultivate an atmosphere of mutual respect. This one cultivated an atmosphere of mutual disrespect, and got exactly the result that might be expected from that. Unfortunately for her, it's hit national level news. It's gonna be a tough mistake to live down, for sure.

The sad thing is that the only way this teacher may have learned to show some mutual respect to her students is by this story being splashed across the nation.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Mura44

Oh i must have misread i thought you found another source.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Aural

During the meeting, the suspending teacher told at the time of the incident, Kendra had shouted the phrase from the other side of the classroom and then continued to defend her use of the phrase when the teacher called her out for breaking the rules.

Source

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: eeyipes

No, not right, but perhaps your teacher learned a valuable lesson from it. Hopefully this one did. Kids do stupid kid stuff. It's a part of growing up. As the mature one in the classroom, it's up to the teacher to cultivate an atmosphere of mutual respect. This one cultivated an atmosphere of mutual disrespect, and got exactly the result that might be expected from that. Unfortunately for her, it's hit national level news. It's gonna be a tough mistake to live down, for sure.

The sad thing is that the only way this teacher may have learned to show some mutual respect to her students is by this story being splashed across the nation.

Oh I'm sure he did. I won't go into the details of what I did to him because it is a long story to setup why I did it and why I picked that response. However, I can tell you that one student got the school sued for copyright infringement for pirating software for his engineering club (yes the student was in the club). It costs the school a TON of money which naturally came out of all the departments' budgets (not just his), so his peers in other departments probably weren't too happy with him.

Both my action and the other action didn't result in a punishment to the people who pulled them off, which made him even madder. And I certainly don't regret my decisions, but I still know I could have handled the situation more maturely.

Being someone who has been in this girl's shoes before, I'm pretty sure I know what was going through her head when this was going down. If she were anything like me, the getting suspended part then going to the media was all part of the plan.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join