It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good manners can now get you suspended

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

You should read the whole thread. This issue isn't as important as you seem to think it is. The girl was acting out for the sake of acting out, was probably goaded into action by her youth pastor and wasn't even suspended for her actions. It's all a bunch of sensationalized nonsense to get the religious crowd all riled up and by reading the thread comments you can see that it happened in this very thread.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Not sure why you replied to me (except that you wanted to utilize the word "appalled" for your point of departure), but, let me say two things. 1) I strongly believe that children also have equal rights under the law, State and Federal Constitutions, but that in some cases their experience does not prepare them for the productive exercise of those rights, thus, we have established the "age of majority" concept, and further 2) Having taught in the classroom, I can tell you that establishing rules of classroom conduct is important or anarchy reigns and the educational process comes to a halt. Kids are under a specific social contract in the classroom, (as we all are in business and other public situations), and it's important to learn that just because one CAN do a thing it is not necessary always right to DO that thing.

Uttering "bless you" is not an expression of freedom of speech or freedom of religion. Period.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Reminds me of how they always force everyone to do the pledge of allegiance. When I say force i mean you can not refuse by teachers rules. You are fully forced to do a patriot nationalist action and on top of it one that includes "in God we trust" which is specifically a reference to the Christian God artefact added into the pledge from the Red Scare in the past and was never removed. Legally you do not have to but the teachers never fail to remove those rights threatening if you don't do it. I've been having forced coercion and threats said to me many times before.

I've also been held behind after school with the entire class for a several minutes which is in violation of the laws on group punishments.

I've had the school officer and vice principle detain, question and threatened arrest over me over me using a tape recorder to take notes which i was given permission to do and there was no one else present which is also violation of the law as far as I know or at least borders on it.

Not a single thing happened in these events yet this little # gets news.
edit on 22-8-2014 by Aural because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
a reply to: SuperFrog

'Gesundheit' also is the same as saying "bless you" since wishing good health to someone is a blessing.
Just like wishing harm on someone is a curse.

But yeah, I'm sure the teacher at this school would be too dumb to know and would have accepted 'Gesundheit'

I actually disagree - gesundheit has nothing to do with religion and god's blessing. It is just saying - 'On your health' - very similar like Slavic languages.

Wishing someone health and saying that god might bless them is bit different, don't you think so?

Yes, but that is not what I stated.
I said a blessing.
You added God in there yourself.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Hey you have a U2U.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Yes, but the young lady in question ALSO added God in there, right?

Her claim is that "bless you" after a sneeze is religious practice; I and others claim that's BS.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Yes, but the young lady in question ALSO added God in there, right?

Her claim is that "bless you" after a sneeze is religious practice; I and others claim that's BS.

Perhaps, but all I know for sure are that discussing religion and politics are like walking on hot coals, or rice paper hehe..
Thank God for humor in the world right?... Oh.. oops! (I'm actually not opposed to saying God though) I like God
edit on 22-8-2014 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: edit

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

I've been checking inbox, haven't seen anything yet in there.. I'll keep looking

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
No good deed goes unpunished. I have no idea why but that seems to be the case sometimes.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
In her online post, Kendra says, “I also don't want the teacher being bashed because that's kind of harmful and disrespectful." Unfortunately, dear child, once you posted on social media, you lost control of the story. Another site picked it up, and then it hit media. Adults with an agenda then used your story as their example of all that’s wrong with government, public schools, teachers, and everyone who is not like themselves. Some groups are even fundraising off of it (like the American Family Association).

The pastor’s side is that her instructions to the teens was to confront the teacher after class time and not in a disruptive manner. This is not what the student did. And now her pastor is afraid that church outreach to help schools will be jeopardized. Indeed.

The judgment and vilification of the teacher has been disgusting, coming from self-proclaimed Christians whom their Bible tells to judge not. This is so much a gossip fest; with false witnesses flying. I fear that this blind lashing out will only serve as another reason to hate or ridicule Christians, and create more atheists!

We are only hearing the side of the story the child wants to tell. By law, to protect the child, the school district cannot release information other than to correct that she was not suspended, but sent to a room (where all students are sent, not necessarily for punishment, but to sit under an adult’s supervision rather than wander the campus or sit unattended) for 20 mins until her next class started. This is a normal, reasonable way to diffuse the situation between student and teacher.

Sometimes children will play the “bless you” game, where they jokingly keep saying “bless you” back to each other. Fun play maybe or a purposeful irritant to adults. Sometimes children want to avoid adult wrath by telling the story their way, lessening their fault in the matter, even placing blame on the victim. There is a reason records of minors can be sealed; we do stupid things as minors.

Adults should wait for all the facts, or if all the facts cannot come out, then, for God’s sake, pick another, better case.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You should read the whole thread. This issue isn't as important as you seem to think it is. The girl was acting out for the sake of acting out, was probably goaded into action by her youth pastor and wasn't even suspended for her actions.

Her motives are irrelevant, she had every reason to call the teacher out on her nonsense rules. For those people saying she was just trying to be disruptive, some times the only way to change things is to disrupt the system, to challenge it head on by breaking the rules to highlight why those rules are so absurd. It's the teachers own fault anyway, if she wasn't such a foolish fool none of this would have had to happen in the first place. The teacher deserves to have her classroom disrupted for making such ridiculous rules. She needs to learn that totalitarian rules often achieve the opposite effect than was intended.
edit on 23/8/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I say Gesundheit but I have no idea what the literal translation is.

a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: lindalinda

it's literal meaning is "health"...but is taken as bless you

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

The phrase "God bless you" is attributed to Pope Gregory the Great, who uttered it in the sixth century during a bubonic plague epidemic (sneezing is an obvious symptom of one form of the plague).

people.howstuffworks.com...

Apologies if this has already been brought up.

That being said, I would never endorse violence. But if it became politically correct to punch someone in the throat because they made an issue or complained about "Bless you" then that would be something I would support.

lol, i like that.

the look on their face after the punch would be priceless.

but seriously, how can we get that started? lol!

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: lindalinda

when we were kids we said, "goesintight"

how about the fake sneezes where you said a word like "bulls**t"?

so is this the future of what kids have to look forward to in schools?
seems like they want to raise a generation of pc secular sheep or a generation of repressed radicals.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Oh good lord.

Now basic classroom rules are a plot to undermine free thought and individuality?

None of you have obviously tried to get 30 kids to do anything productive at once.

"Bless you" was restricted for an obvious reason: kids sneeze (unavoidable) and half the class wants to yell "bless you" in the middle of a test or an assignment. Every one of the other "verboten" words on the list makes perfect sense as well ... IF you've ever tried to work with groups of kids and keep them productively focused.

There are all kinds of situations in life in which it is simply inappropriate to yell out "bless you" or arbitrarily take whatever action suits ... in the BUSINESS world for one, and in frickin' CHURCH for another. Wonder what would happen if they interrupted a sermon with BLESS YOU across the sanctuary, hmmm?

Helping kids learn to be quiet and pay attention isn't indoctrination!

And neither this little girl (nor her "pastor" who admitted that she encouraged kids to be disruptive) are some kind of freedom fighter or crusader.

Jumpin' Jehoosophat!

EDIT: * Yes, I used "verboten" above for a specific reason, because some of you are acting like a normal classroom is some kind of Nazi prison camp. I supposed encouraging the kids to pray and witness about Jesus is somehow encouraging individual thought.

I mean, hey, when I think of free thought and building strong individuals, I ALWAYS think of church, right?
edit on 7Sat, 23 Aug 2014 07:21:55 -050014p072014866 by Gryphon66 because: As noted.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Oh good lord.

Now basic classroom rules are a plot to undermine free thought and individuality?

None of you have obviously tried to get 30 kids to do anything productive at once.

"Bless you" was restricted for an obvious reason: kids sneeze (unavoidable) and half the class wants to yell "bless you" in the middle of a test or an assignment. Every one of the other "verboten" words on the list makes perfect sense as well ... IF you've ever tried to work with groups of kids and keep them productively focused.

There are all kinds of situations in life in which it is simply inappropriate to yell out "bless you" or arbitrarily take whatever action suits ... in the BUSINESS world for one, and in frickin' CHURCH for another. Wonder what would happen if they interrupted a sermon with BLESS YOU across the sanctuary, hmmm?

Helping kids learn to be quiet and pay attention isn't indoctrination!

And neither this little girl (nor her "pastor" who admitted that she encouraged kids to be disruptive) are some kind of freedom fighter or crusader.

Jumpin' Jehoosophat!

EDIT: * Yes, I used "verboten" above for a specific reason, because some of you are acting like a normal classroom is some kind of Nazi prison camp. I supposed encouraging the kids to pray and witness about Jesus is somehow encouraging individual thought.

I mean, hey, when I think of free thought and building strong individuals, I ALWAYS think of church, right?

how often do they take tests?

and "bless you" should trigger the "i don't give a F'k" response to the reptilian stem in anyone hearing that.

in church? have you ever been in church when someone sneezed? or even been in church?

"helping children" really? u r #tin us, right?

you don't see the creeping mind control in what you say?

i want my kid to say "God bless you" and punch the closest kid in the throat.

not really. sorry. just the idiot that says something.

how many times would you be punched in the throat? think about it.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
HA HA!

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
We cannot comprehend the atrocities of ISIS done in the name of Allah upon fellow Muslims, yet we fail to comprehend that in the United States there is a history of Christian on Christian atrocities. From the Salem Witch Trials to killings, in the name of God and in Houses of God, of fellow Christians, the US has had its own brand of Christian bigotry and intolerance. There is and always will be a War on Christians by other Christians.

Some of the good people of Dyersburg have formed a group (with Facebook presence) to show their support for the teacher whom they know as a decent, good, kind, Christian church going woman who has been demeaned in public to the point of tears and fear for her job, and because they know other students support her and tell a different version of the incident.

Their group is not out to take sides, divide the community, or investigate this incident (they rightly so leave the facts of the incident in the legal hands of the school district), but to show they support the teacher and ask for prayers for both teacher and student.

edit on 23-8-2014 by desert because: sp

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: tsingtao

TT, do you have kids? Have you ever worked with any? Have you ever worked in an actual classroom?

Because your post suggests a fairly severe lack of experience with the subject.

How often do they take tests? It depends, anywhere from one or two times a week to daily, depending on the grade level, subject, curriculum standards, etc.

Your profanity and "reptilian stem" comment is merely specious.

I'd wager than I've been in church just as many or more times that you have TT. Don't assume that because some one grows up and leaves superstitions behind as an adult that they haven't had experiences with church as a young person. How ... simplistic.

Are you saying that you don't think education helps children? What's your solution then, do you think Bible school is going to teach them to read, write, calculate, reason critically, etc? Are they going to be taught to use science and technology in sermons? Riiiight.

No, there is no "creeping mind control" in educating children; I think most would admit that there's a heck of lot more in the average church service, if they were honest.

Yeah, you lost me completely at the end of your posts about punching and idiots. I'm sure that's directly related to the topic though.

/eyeroll

Best,

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join