It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Pigeons, No Seagulls in Halifax; No Sparrows in Ireland; What about Manhattan?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: AccessDenied Not sure what you are going on about with your last post and linking "exceptionally good looking men and women"...but I figured I may as well throw in the bees with the birds.

Physicist Michio Kaku once said that we all have a little bit of Chernobyl in us.

This must be true of Fukushima's radionuclides not to mention the radionuclides from over a thousand nuclear bomb tests.

Scientist Timothy A. Mousseau recently lectured about how the radiation of Fukushima was killing off birds and about the detrimental effects of that radiation on the entire global ecosystem. (See: Fukushima radiation is affecting the health of the entire global ecosystem, scientist says.)

So, in light of all this, does it not stand to reason that radiation since the 1940's may be responsible for the decline in the good looks of the human population... this, not to mention deleterious effects on bird populations... WORLDWIDE?

P.M. (P.S. Yesterday, I saw a loose group of eight flying seagulls, meaning they were not very close to each other. They were weaving left and right in a uncoordinated manner with each other as they all flew north. Then a ninth straggler followed. I am not a seagull expert, so I don't know if this is normal behavior for them.)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I was in the park near my house today. I live in suburb of Tokyo called Shakujikoen. There were plenty of pigeons and other types of birds around. Ducks in the lake too. I fed some. They seemed very happy.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
An unusual thing happened today, but I'll get to this later.

A few days ago, a friend drove me to a county park near the bay.

I sighted one and only one bird, and this sighting didn't even occur in the park.

It occurred on the road leading to the park entrance. A bird flew across the road ahead of us.

That park has very dense vegetation that you can liken to a jungle. Yet there were no birds to be seen there.

I took a brief walk on one of the nature trails, and I heard only one bird call... just one in a setting that can be likened to a jungle. Imagine that.

Getting back to the unusual occurrence... I saw a wake today.

That is, I saw a wake of about 12 vultures on the ground while I was out on foot running an errand for myself. About four of these vultures were feeding on what seemed to be a squashed squirrel in the street.

I never before have seen a vulture, and here there were 12 of them, quite large ones, I might add, in an area where there is a dearth of birds.

So, I see no seagulls in supermarket parking lots like I used to see where I resided more than 30 miles away from the beach, yet, now, I guess it's more likely to spot vultures in these parts which are much closer to major bodies of water.

I did some quick research on Wikipedia, and it seems that this area is just inside the territorial zone for this kind of vulture. I always thought that vultures were desert fixtures, as portrayed in old westerns and Road Runner cartoons.

That's all for now.

P.M.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: theworldisnotenough

its a fact that birds of prey have a easier time and breed in bigger numbers when there are many dead and sick animals (easy prey)
the scientist in the fukushima and chernobyl wildlife report i posted says the same
here we have an unusual amount of crows and very rarely i can see a bird outside
the taxus tree with fresh berrys should now be swarmed
no bird or bird sounds anymore
plants and trees look sick the bark peeling and full of lichen-like stuff,the leafs small and crumbled some burned.
hedge in the garden was cut over a month ago and has not grown back one bit, other shrubs and trees are completely brown with only some branches green (going on since weeks and its not autumn autumn doesnt leave whole branches green)
chemtrails? fukushima? unusual amount of UVB radiation? im not sure what it is but im sure that something is really screwing with nature this year

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The reason all the seagulls and pigeons are disappearing from around the world is simple....they have all emigrated to West Cumbria in the UK

Can't even leave the bloody house now for flying rats and sh**ehawks!

Really must apply for my shotgun license...

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I read an article on the CBC news discussing the decline in the sparrows.
Sparrow Decline

And in the Chronicle Herald today..an explanation for the decline in pigeons and seagulls in Halifax.

The Waterfront Development Corporation has hired a falconer to walk the boardwalk in an attempt to allow people to enjoy the waterfront without annoying avians assailing their lunches and personal space.

The corporation contracted the falconer in July, and “it’s quite remarkable to watch,” MacLean said.

He said the hawk being carried along with its handler is enough to make bothersome birds take wing.

Chronicle Herald

Even though I was pessimistic to your opening post, the thread subject stuck with me and I have been more observant of the birds in my area as well. I hope this information clears up things for you.
-AD

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: AccessDenied
I read an article on the CBC news discussing the decline in the sparrows.
Sparrow Decline

And in the Chronicle Herald today..an explanation for the decline in pigeons and seagulls in Halifax.

The Waterfront Development Corporation has hired a falconer to walk the boardwalk in an attempt to allow people to enjoy the waterfront without annoying avians assailing their lunches and personal space.

The corporation contracted the falconer in July, and “it’s quite remarkable to watch,” MacLean said.

He said the hawk being carried along with its handler is enough to make bothersome birds take wing.

Chronicle Herald

Even though I was pessimistic to your opening post, the thread subject stuck with me and I have been more observant of the birds in my area as well. I hope this information clears up things for you.
-AD

Thank you for replying.

There are falcons in Manhattan, but there are still plenty of pigeons there as reported by an earlier respondent in this thread.

However, there is still no explanation for the dearth of birds where I live. I will admit that I am seeing a small increase in the bird population here, mostly crows, no sparrows and lately no seagulls in flight.

I did see a bird on the pavement yesterday next to the parked car in which I was a passenger. It was smaller than a crow and much larger than a sparrow. It had what, I believe, should have been black feathers on the top of its head, back and wings and yellow feathers under its chin and on its chest and belly. I said "should have been" because it seemed that a muddy brown color was superimposed all over this bird's body making it look really dirty. I am not a bird expert. I don't know if this is normal. Maybe it is for this kind of bird. Does anyone know what kind of bird I am describing?

I also saw a large butterfly. This is getting to be a super-rare sight. As a matter of fact, small white "mutt" butterflies were getting to be almost non-existent from where I relocated. Those little white ones used to be abundant in that area.

P.M.

P.M.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Since I have last participated in this thread, I had witnessed a noticeable uptick in bird populations here, not a great one, but a noticeable one, so I stopped paying much attention to such things.

However, this morning about two hours after sun-up, I went for a mile-long walk down the main road. I make note of the time of day because when I was active in this thread, I noticed that I was more likely to see some birds in the morning than at midday when the summer sun, heat, and humidity were much more oppressive.

With the change of seasons and with the mornings, like this morning, being cooler and far less oppressive, I thought that I would see a good number of birds today. Was I ever wrong!

Going down the road, I saw, in the vast expanse of sky that I could keep an eye on, all of four birds each flying solo far between each other in time and space. I did see a large white bird on the ground, possibly an egret or an ibis, feeding.

Coming back I saw three birds in the distance circling loosely together.

I was out and about for 50 minutes or so, and that was it!

And here's the thing. The very wide main road has power lines on both of its sides. Moreover, there were a good number of side streets with power lines, and I did not see a single bird – not a one – perched on the power lines.

Upon my arrival back at my apartment complex, I did hear two minor bird calls but I saw no birds on the property.

Who knows to what extent Superstorm Nuri will kick up aerosoled Pacific water contaminated with radionuclides into the atmosphere thus spreading this aerosol across the U.S. with the Arctic blast that it will bring? Who knows how this will affect remaining bird populations which, BTW, take part in pollination of plants and in the spreading of seeds?

See: Typhoon Nuri Packing 180 MPH Winds, Triggering an Arctic Blast

P.M.
edit on 7-11-2014 by theworldisnotenough because: Deleted extraneous url.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I think this has more to do with GMOs and pesticides than anything else.

No birds, well feel lucky because if we allow them to poison the water table using fracking chemicals then it will be Humans that are in short supply after the price of drinking water raises above the price of oil

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: VirusGuard
I think this has more to do with GMOs and pesticides than anything else.

No birds, well feel lucky because if we allow them to poison the water table using fracking chemicals then it will be Humans that are in short supply after the price of drinking water raises above the price of oil

Should water be your primary concern when water can be distilled?

However, birds are part of the eco-chain. They participate in pollination of plants and spreading of seeds.

No birds, possibly no food. Distillation will do you no good in this eventuality.

P.M.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Funny that for "no birds" I've seen thousands of them recently. I watched multiple flocks the other night that numbered in the thousands each, and goose flocks in Nebraska that cover the pond they're swimming in, and the field near it.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Funny that for "no birds" I've seen thousands of them recently. I watched multiple flocks the other night that numbered in the thousands each, and goose flocks in Nebraska that cover the pond they're swimming in, and the field near it.

I am not from Nebraska.

However, I am near water.

I did not see a single seagull today, and since I've been here, I have seen far fewer than should be expected.

P.M.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

So somehow whatever is causing them to disappear skipped everywhere else in the country and only hit where you live. Because everywhere else in the country has plenty of birds all over the place.

That's pretty impressively targeted.
edit on 11/7/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I was out and about today in the early afternoon for the same amount of time that I was out yesterday, and I saw even fewer birds in flight - only five!

I do believe that this is troubling.

I don't know how anyone can claim that I am the only one to be observing a dearth of birds in his area. This claim simply is at odds with the truth.

P.M.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

So I'm a liar now huh. Because there are birds all over the place down here.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: theworldisnotenough
I was out and about today in the early afternoon for the same amount of time that I was out yesterday, and I saw even fewer birds in flight - only five!

I do believe that this is troubling.

I don't know how anyone can claim that I am the only one to be observing a dearth of birds in his area. This claim simply is at odds with the truth.

P.M.

I believe you meant to say:

'This claim simply is at odds with everything I've seen.'

Didn't you?

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The reason you dont see so many birds is because they have all moved here ....... costing me a small fortune in bird seed and suet balls, and thats just through the summer!

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Something has changed. The birds in my area have disappeared over the last 2 years. What used to be daily visitors in my yard are now rare. WTH is going on? I want my birds back!

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyMayhew
The reason you dont see so many birds is because they have all moved here ....... costing me a small fortune in bird seed and suet balls, and thats just through the summer!

I saw three pairs of cardinals simultaneously this week in my sister's back yard.

While there, I helped her load a fifty pound bag of peanuts into a plastic bin.

The Bluejays love 'em.

Could be why other people aren't seeing a lot of birds. They're all at her place.
edit on -06:00121411422014-11-26T21:42:12-06:00 by Psynic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: yourmaker

On the other hand I wake up every morning to sound of a thousand birds in the trees around my house in metro vancouver on the pacific coast.

Then again I live in a rainforest with massive trees surrounding my city.

But yeah, tons of birds here. Much variety. Can hear birds right now through my windows honestly lol

So... No offense. But did you just feel like talking about living in a rain forest... Or did that somehow relate to the actual OP? Aside from the fact that you also mentioned birds? I just feel like the OP was specifically geocentric whereas your response was just a "BTW. off topic, but still"..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join