It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Commandos Tried to Rescue Foley and Other Hostages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
NY Times - U.S. Commandos Tried to Rescue Foley and Other Hostages

EDGARTOWN, Mass. — A United States Special Operations team tried and failed to rescue James Foley and other Americans held hostage in Syria during a secret mission earlier this summer authorized by President Obama, senior administration officials said Wednesday.

A day after Sunni militants posted a video showing Mr. Foley being beheaded, officials described what they called a “complicated operation” in which several dozen commandos were dropped into a remote area of Syria where American intelligence agencies believed several hostages were being held.

But when the Special Operations team arrived on the scene, the hostages were not there. Officials said the commandos exchanged fire with militants, and one American was slightly wounded when one of the United States aircraft came under fire.

This was just breaking on the news and here's the NY Times article. Only source I could find. Not much more information yet but it apparently happened "earlier this summer." They're not giving much in the way of details now except to say that it happened and the hostages were unfortunately not there.
edit on 2014-8-20 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Hmmm, so the US is conducting operations in Syria... What a surprise.
This is actually pretty stupid to say/confirm.
edit on thAmerica/Chicago820000000k2014 by MessageforAll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

several dozen commandos were dropped into a remote area of Syria

Imagine what they keep ultra-classified then...especially after the endless repeating of no boots on the ground in Syria/Iraq etc...I mean, if I were in Obam's position I would make the same call to put a spec ops unit in to try and rescue my country men if I had the means and intel to do so.

But i'm not sure if i'd be as hard pressed to lie to my countrymen at the same time

I understand they don't want to reveal their hand to the terrorists as well. Not a good position to be in all-round.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Some claim ISIS is ran by Mossad (Israel). They would have the intel on the op.

NSA shares raw intelligence including Americans' data with Israel

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
There are many places in this world I won't go. These people that do are much braver than I.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I'm worried about the "other Americans" mentioned in the story.

Who and how many are next ?

Very alarming.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

It was stated at the end of the video Foley video that the immediate threat is to behead Steven Sotloff, an American journalist who contributes to TIME among others and was taken hostage about two weeks ago after crossing into Syria from Turkey.

I find this beheading video to be extremely bizarre, not only because of the barbarism, but because this is perhaps the least effective terrorism one could imagine. I don't think I've even once inferred on ATS that a terrorist action might be some sort of false flag, but damn... It's almost like they are trying to turn American public sentiment TOWARD full scale military action against ISIS.

Could it actually be the Assad regime behind the beheading? The CIA?
edit on 2014-8-20 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: xuenchen

It was stated at the end of the video Foley video that the immediate threat is to behead Steven Sotloff, an American journalist who contributes to TIME among others and was taken hostage about two weeks ago after crossing into Syria from Turkey.

I find this beheading video to be extremely bizarre, not only because of the barbarism, but because this is perhaps the least effective terrorism one could imagine. I don't think I've even once inferred on ATS that a terrorist action might be some sort of false flag, but damn... It's almost like they are trying to turn American public sentiment TOWARD full scale military action against ISIS.

Could it actually be the Assad regime behind the beheading? The CIA?

Their religious leader wants to confront US ground forces, it will fulfill a prophesy and make him seem more legitimate in the eyes of believers. If he does not try to it will look like he is not the one in their eyes. It is religious fanaticism that drives these bizarre acts.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: MessageforAll

No, they conducted a rescue operation. Not stupid to say at all.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: MessageforAll

Eff Syria...The US can and should "conduct operations" wherever US Citizens are held hostage by terrorists and local governments are not capable of being any help.

ISIL was likely not aware of the attempt to rescue Foley. If Spec Ops were able to confirm he wasn't at the location they thought that meant that they likely wiped out that ISIL unit and was able to complete a full search.

All ISIL would know is that one of their teams/units got hammered by unknown forces without survivors.

By leaking this, they are likely looking to slow down the "Shell game" of constantly moving high value prisoners. ISIL will be slower to risk moving the remaining prisoner for fear of being exposed/spotted...and that might buy US intelligence more time to pin-point a location. They also might behave differently knowing the US is willing to deploy spec-ops on foreign soil to get the remaining US Prisoner. Increased guards...the team that has the prisoner might stand out more relative to the other ISIL units. Also possibly more "chatter".

On the down-side..ISIL will be slightly more prepared for a rescue attempt. But honestly at the end of the day these sociopaths are wannabe "soldiers" and our Spec Ops are the most well trained and prepared on the globe. They live an breath these operations every day.

They wanted our attention and they got it. Here's hoping intelligence gets a location of the remaining prisoner and SpecOps get's another chance to do what I know they are chomping at the bit to do.
edit on 21-8-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join