Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Shetland's Oil Reserves, Will They Be Plundered?

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Talk of Scottish Independence leads to talk of oil. Shetland's right to independence and oil are often discussed. This video gives us some insight into the subject of oil in the vicinity of Shetland. From a fragile Earth point of view the oil may be best left where it is.

edit on 20 8 2014 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester
So does Holyrood become the new Westminster for the Shetland's after a vote for Scottish independence then? ...interesting.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

That's what many of them say.
edit on 20 8 2014 by Kester because: punctuation

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
It would appear to me that if a population has a massive energy resource in their tidal waters and the right to claim it after a democratic vote for independence, as international law seems to indicate for Scotland, then the same rules apply for the Shetland Islands community if they seek a similar situation.

...what do I know though, I'm a Welshman living on the SW soast of England, we couldn't get much further away from each other on UK territory

*Edit*
Apologies, just realised this is in 'Fragile Earth' and I took a political slant.
Regarding the envrironmental argument and our reliance on fossil fuels I would like our country to advance the exploration of other alternatives, from reduction of energy use, to exploiting more renewable sources.
edit on 20-8-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Heres an interesting site to have a look at, scotlands oil

Scotland has a wealth of resources, propaganda and fear mongering is rife in an attempt to continue to line the pockets of Westminster at Scotlands peoples expense.

I know quite a few chaps who work off shore and low and behold after a significant find of oil reserves in the north of Scotland Englands P.M visited and the workers are now home on full pay until after the refurendum in September...
Coincidence?

Scotland has the largest resource of renewable energy in Europe aparently, wind, waves etc.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Can I ask the source of this video as it looks pretty old.
In general agree that we should be aiming to reduce our oil/gas usage however the economics make that unlikely to be a quick process.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: michael1888

Great link, thanks.

Over 30 years ago I helped with maintenance, (passed the spanners), on a small hydro scheme that had been providing electricity for 40 years at that point. Scotland certainly is rich in renewable energy sources that don't 'cost the Earth'.

I'm concerned by the lies and trickery apparent in the oil industry. These newly discovered reserves are said by some to be not newly discovered at all. They say it's improvements in extraction technology that make these reserves viable now. I'd be very suspicious of that story, it seems manipulative. The PM is a coke fiend with a family history of slavery and opium dealing. His first job was with an opium/death company, Jardine Matheson. A creep like that isn't going to be spotted on a 'secret' visit unless that's what he wanted. Beware of the big oil find story, something fishy is afoot.

Here's an example of oil industry lies. There are many more like this.

I don't have an opinion on the vote. My best informed source says YES. He also says there's a lot of unacknowledged Scottish power on the world stage.

Your fishing grounds are worth more to you than some easily spent 'riches'. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

It starts with politics and it ends with the children of the future picking up the tab.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Yeah, like first we will lose The Shetlands, then The Orkney's, then Skye, then Rum and Eigg, quickly followed by Arran, then Lewis and then the outer Hebrides....

Whatever... As much chance as the Isle of Dogs going independent. just more mischief making by the Nawbags... So Sad, but that's what fear and desperation reduces you to.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

I've been asked that before concerning my Ninian Central videos by the same team. It's a bit of a sensitive issue.
You'll find more similar videos on the YouTube channel underterraingrunter.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Whereas I've clearly stated several times my best informant tells me YES?
And that makes me a Nawbag?
edit on 21 8 2014 by Kester because: spacing for effect

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
i was not addressing anyone in particular... i was addressing the subject of the "Shetland and independence" Myth..

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Cheers, will look it up when on proper computer.

join