It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Freedoms Did The US Military Protect In Afghanistan And Iraq?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Mikehawk

To add to my previous post, maybe I am wrong in my portrayal of the amount of soldiers who say this. It's usually their families or GI Joe fans if you know what I mean. For instance, you laid out a real good explanation for your mission. I don't completely agree with your portrayal and how you believe it to be, but the way you typed it, it seemed from the heart so I respect it.

But come on man...

You never her the old "Protecting your freedoms" phrase being echoed?

No confrontation intended but I believe this is a subject that even though you are open to honest feelings, there are certain points about the mission, and your own role that you rather not acknowledge. At the very least, other units had nefarious ulterior motives - u gotta admit that bro. I'm not blasting you here but if you want respect, it must be earned, and respect only comes with transparency. You have been very transparent until your most recent reply.

Anyways, who the heck am I to question you?

I'm just stating my opinion man.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Well not everyone is informed.

And you would be surprised to learn how little some soldiers care to learn about the circumstances they find themselves in. Both in combat or in garrison.

Not all are the best and brightest. Hell some soldiers are dumber than a box of rocks.

By and large the soldiers I've known have been upstanding and intelligent people. Of those in particular I don't know too many who believe what we do in the Middle East is for Americans.

Like I said in my opening post, I performed missions and duties while serving in Afghanistan that directly had a positive and quantifiable impact on the Afghan people. It was something I was able to see. Did my unit and I win the war? No. And we didn't expect to. But we did set out to help make positive changes. I think, in that endeavor, we succeeded.

I don't think anyone I worked with really believed that we were there for America, her liberties(ever eroding), or her people. It didn't take long for us to place our involvement in context. How we fit into the puzzle that is the Afghan campaign. We knew where we stood, or at the very least, we knew what we were there to stand for.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Even though I don't agree with every aspect of your opinion I severely respect your honesty and willingness to discuss maturely. I wish all US military were like you, we would have less of the sheeeiiiitttttte which we are being subjected to. I hope you work your way up to a high rank and move up to office.

The thing is though, important people are selected not elected so any position of power that you may want to possess will require you to sell out to the evil people that you and I both dislike.

I don't see you doing that...things must change from our current model.

Do you agree?

I support the military but I'm tired of using that line when our military are mostly paid mercenaries disguised as humanitarian activists.

"here is a little depleted uranium to liberate you"

Catch my drift?

These things are beyond your control but let us not lose sight of the bigger picture which is very complicated and affects us all whether we know it or not, civilian or military.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Projectvxn spelled it out far better than I could... the only other thing I could add, is we should have been in Afghanistan in what was it '89 when the soviets pulled out. After supplying the Mujahedeen for all those years, once it was clear from the soviets we should have gone in and offered them help in building their country back up.

Bush Sr, and Clinton both dropped the ball in a huge way, So I am glad that we finally put the effort in to help them (even if there were other reasons to do so) so I am glad we finally helped them, sad it cost so many so much.

17 years USAF veteran.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

The military is not a humanitarian organization.

By and large our mission is to kill people and blow stuff up.

Anyone who says different is living a lie.

Do we occasionally engage in humanitarian work? Yes. Is that our primary mission? No.

Politicians and the media have confused, in the public eye, what the purpose of the military is. Because of this people get bent out of shape when we actually perform the duties for which we were trained. It is baffling to me.

Most people do NOT understand the military. Less than 1% of the total US population is serving, in any capacity, in the military. Most people are exposed to a fantasy idea of what military men and women are like. From cherry picked news stories to Hollywood movies.

We are neither robots, nor are we the knights in subdued camouflage armor that we are portrayed to be. But don't get things confused. Our job is to fight. To destroy. To kill. Whether you like it or not we are not in charge. We are subordinated, by law and oath, to the civilian powers of the US government. Right or wrong. Do I trust civilian powers in charge today, or that may be in charge tomorrow? No. But I do trust my fellow soldiers, my experience, and the American people.

edit on pThu, 21 Aug 2014 19:22:50 -0500201421America/Chicago2014-08-21T19:22:50-05:0031vx8 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

The military is not a humanitarian organization.

By and large our mission is to kill people and blow stuff up.

Anyone who says different is living a lie.

Man I used to hate you, but this interaction proves that you're not that bad of a guy...

Stay safe man, don't get caught up in their sheeeeiiiiiiiteeee.

You are the coolest war vet on here I have ever met...keep it real man.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Most people do NOT understand the military.

I was wounded in afghanistan,and hate to talk about it or admit it.

PTSD is still an issue.

But i never lose focus from why I was there, I am sick of it - no more lies!

No more of the military cult worship which I used to be a part of, I was wounded in Kandahar (just west of it in december 2008) sorry details are limited in what I can explain as you understand.

But I had no business being there, saw a kid lose his legs, bunch of other crap...I never ever tried and justified my mission. In fact I have always been ashamed.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
For what its worth, this zoomie appreciates the heck out of the army and marines, I couldn't do yall's job.

both those branches get the S*&( end of the stick and do the best they can in impossible situations, and for that you will always have my respect.

I joined to serve my country, and stayed because of my brothers and sisters in the military.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I can tell you what I protected while I was serving in Iraq. Supply convoys so that we could continue to stay in Iraq.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Dude, don't even bother. There are some who have their fanatical preconceived world view and no amount of rational discussion will persuade them from it. Consider how loaded the OP's "questions" are. He doesn't care for your answer just another chance to spew.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Uh, hu. Sure.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Mike, do NOT lie to me.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Because THE GUY who decides those things FOR us told us to and we are at war with a violent faction of Islam...get used to it.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

You know he is. If I had a buck for every anti-war and anti-military goob who claims he was there and hurt, I'd be a wealthy man. I was there in 2008. I have access to every us and coalition casualty throughout that time period (working on a DOD project to improve "flack jacket" design in addition to normal doc duties) and I could confirm his story pretty quickly.

But here's my guess: it was top secret special forces seal sniper and will be off the books.

LOL.

I hate posers.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
The freedom of defense contractors and the senators and congressmen who hold their stock to make hundreds of billions of dollars. That is basically what happened.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

I hate posers.

You guys are the posers and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

I have nothing to prove to you to or the likes of you.

Just because I don't flaunt my service like you do in order to seek attention and gain respect from the mindless drones who bow down to the uniform doesn't mean squat.

Why don't you try a little bit harder there guy...
edit on 22-8-2014 by Mikehawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Mike, do NOT lie to me.

You've been lying to me in each of your posts in this thread, I humored your scripted propaganda out of politeness because you seemed like a nice guy, but it turns out you're just like the rest of them.

I just went through your post history and you are the poster boy for propagating pro-American propaganda in the form of canned responses. You're the one that has to live with it, not me - thank god.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mikehawk

I hate posers.

You guys are the posers and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

I have nothing to prove to you to or the likes of you.

Just because I don't flaunt my service like you do in order to seek attention and gain respect from the mindless drones who bow down to the uniform doesn't mean squat.

Why don't you try a little bit harder there guy...

LOL. Just what I expected and anticipated in my post. Like I said, full of it.

And nonsense,--you are the one who brought up your "service" and "PTSD" and "injuries" like every other fake vet with an issue because you think it gives your warped point of view "credibility." To the uninformed, such lies may seem credible, but to those of use who have been there, done that can see through that nonsense in half a second. Those of us who know simply called you on it.

Take your fake drama llama elsewhere, you're not fooling anyone.
edit on 22-8-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Only person you are fooling is yourself and it's so painfully obvious that I almost pity you.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mikehawk

Only person you are fooling is yourself and it's so painfully obvious that I almost pity you.

What 'cause you are lied about military service and being wounded in Afghanistan to make a stupid point? C'mon, what unit were you with and what was your MOS?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join