Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

WHO ups West Africa Ebola deaths - Liberia Seals Off District of 75,000 People

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
World Health Organization ups West Africa Ebola deaths

The current Ebola outbreak has now killed 1,350 people and counting. Residents are clashing with police officers who have cordoned off Monrovia's West Point district and its estimated 75,000 people.

World Health Organization ups West Africa Ebola deaths
edit on 20-8-2014 by LrdRedhawk because: Changed title

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
If I were out of food for my family I'd be stressed too. Quarantines aren't so pleasant for the people inside. Why don't they air drop some supplies?

And who's taking those pictures? Are they now contaminated?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: LrdRedhawk

That makes it sound as though those 75,000 have been written off, as they will be kept together with Ebola sufferers. It may be worth it, but I can't be happy about any choice they make.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I personally believe it's much more with them deliberately underestimating the numbers and cases, people not reporting them, stigma, fear, etc. S + F

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
This is the time you need to use those quadrocopter drones to drop supplies to people in home quarantine. Maybe those drones could even do gardening. Give the people some incentive by giving them iPads, iPhones to keep in touch with each other and pass the time.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
This is the time you need to use those quadrocopter drones to drop supplies to people in home quarantine. Maybe those drones could even do gardening. Give the people some incentive by giving them iPads, iPhones to keep in touch with each other and pass the time.

If it's from the outside world and they drop supplies from drones with no chance of contamination I'm all for it. These people need help and no government will do it.

Would Monrovia be able to support that many people powering ipads and iphones at once? I don't know and we'd also have to drop besides medicine, food, water, clothing, disinfectant supplies, instructions, toys, blankets/bedding, cooking supplies, sanitation items like soap, toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, maybe tools, find a way to get generators, fuel if needed, etc. I'm thinking fuel and generators by drone would be difficult if not impossible. Anyone know if it's even safe?

That's a huge thing requiring a highly coordinated effort so people know what to drop where, in what amount, where everybody's flying so it doesn't cause problems with existing air traffic, other drones, public safety. Who received what and at what time, and despite many who are able to not panic completely and maintain some sense of composure, many would try to get to those drone drop sites as quickly as possible.

I don't think citizens would ever be able to pull off giving them anything in noticeable amounts without help from well-funded, supplied and informed charities and organizations (reputable ones that use most of the funds for their area of awareness and not for themselves, hard to find), experts in logistics, health, drone operation, aviation experts I'm sure would help with flight plans, and maybe some governments. But other than that, sadly I think these people are doomed in many ways.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Sounds like those 75,000 people are doomed, infected or not. So sad.

And it made me think, if my town/area is cordoned, what could I do?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: negue

This is kind of what i am wondering . Should we start stocking up food supplies , water and daily necessities ? How will we react when /if such a virus would be where we are ?

armakirais

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
This is completely grim news, but it's no less than what some places did during the outbreaks of Black Death. The worst thing is that we are finding it necessary to resort to medieval plague control measures in this modern time. It's even worse when you consider that we have the knowledge and tools to make this unnecessary, but in reality, Africa is in many respects the medieval world for all we can see some modern trappings.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: armakirais

I think we should already be doing that stocking. Besides water&food, I'm think personal protective measures, like N95 masks at least. They're pretty hard to get by where I live, I'll have to resort to ebay or amazon.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: armakirais
a reply to: negue

This is kind of what i am wondering . Should we start stocking up food supplies , water and daily necessities ? How will we react when /if such a virus would be where we are ?

armakirais

Yes. Absolutely. It's bad enough when there's a bank holiday - the supermarkets don't just take the Monday off, they take the whole weekend starting Friday afternoon. Add on top of that a regular wiinter bug with 10% of workers off, and the shops just run out because everyone is stocking up and the warehouses can't make deliveries. So stocking up on long-lasting stuff like rice, pasta, tomato sauce, mince, tinned meat would seem practical.

But you would also need somewhere to bunker down to survive the weeks of madness, as well as disinfectant in case anything became contaminated.

The scary thing would be if it started spreading in cities before people knew they were infected. But then what happens if they know they are infected, and they have a week or more before they keel over like a dead parrot?
There's nothing to stop them from going on a rampage and attacking/infecting other people.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Has anyone considered that the bugs over there are a carrier of this ebola. If cdc has to wear a full body suit. How do you think a person with no body suit will fair against ebola. All those mosquito's biting people then bite you and you get ebola. Biting fly's, Nats , and all the other bugs all over the place all over the world could manifest this thing to apocaliptic proportions.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I can not see this ending well for the 75000.
Once they start to see the body's pile up it will be hard to contain 75000 people if it is a choice between a possible death by a bullet or ebola .
You have to think the government is thinking that to and is planing to act well before then.

That or it ends up been one great big petri dish to cultivate it faster.
edit on 21-8-2014 by joho99 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join