It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In The Airplane Of The Future, Every Seat Is A Window Seat

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
The equation for this is simple. Can they get the purchase and life cycle costs as well as the weight down to something close to current passenger window panes? If its currently going to be something like an order of magnitude greater then it wont happen yet. Your average airliner window pane costs between about $1000-3000 each plus the fittings and fixtures and inner scratch pane. Cockpit windscreens considerably more (which I don't see being replaced by this technology but supplementing it). Some rearwards, extreme side looking and downwards cockpit displays would certainly be a visual aid to flight crews on the ground as well as in the air, that would go well beyond the current taxi/tail cameras we see today such as Airbus's ETACS on the A-380. I see a simpler version would not create a wraparound screen for the whole fuse but instead give people a large "window" perhaps 4-6 times the surface area of current passenger windows that can be turned off or dimmed depending upon the flight profile. It might resemble the new panoramic window being developed for the Boeing BBJ and other aircraft by Fokker.
(Hmmm,... cant seem to load an image from my library of it)

LEE.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
When I travel I pay extra money, in economy nonetheless, for a window seat just so I control the window shade... and I most often get bumped up a class because of airlines overbooking in economy.

But nothing is worse than someone else deciding what I see.

edit on 8/21/2014 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Looks like the screen scenes would be fun. I enjoyed windows when I had flown and probably still would over just scenes. To me there's a sort of balance being in a vehicle if you can see what is outside vs being enclosed inside. Maybe if the mid screen was an actual window, or transitions into one, however possible, would be nice.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

I'm telling your wife.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Not really as appealing as it looks in the photos. Those photos all have the perspective correct for where the person is standing in the aircraft. In the real setup, no matter where you stood it would be like looking at a big screen TV from the side all the times.

If the walls were transparent , then the angle of the wings and everything would change dramatically as you walked about the plane, but with cameras they will only see it from one direction, and will continue to view from that direction no matter how you move about the cabin. In short, the view would not be all that great, but it would be novel.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join