It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In The Airplane Of The Future, Every Seat Is A Window Seat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I think this is so very cool. This plane is has not been built yet but It may get legs.

The IXION windowless Jet.

Todays bendable video screen technology is opening doors to cool new ideas. This plane will use a video camera to project to a all encompassing video presentation inside the airframe. It can project whatever they want including space or underwater scenes. it also plans to use a solar offset system.

Vimeo

Link

Check out the GIF.

I am looking forward to hearing if anyone has opinions on a plane without windows. Do you think it has Structural or Safety benefits or just a cool factor?

Enjoy

edit on 8/20/2014 by howmuch4another because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/20/2014 by howmuch4another because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
All aboard the Barfpane!

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I think it'd be totally great. I'm not afraid of heights though.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Wouldn't be so bad as a subway car.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: howmuch4another

Yes, they should build it.
How cool would that be?

If they did,I'd even get over my fear of flying.

Another picture from your link, boy this looks great.
Today's technology is growing so fast, it never stops to amaze me.
S&F

edit on 20/8/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Rainbowresidue

Thanks for posting the pic. I wanted to put up the Vimeo but had troubles. you rock!

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
If you got to see what the view outside was like, that would be really great and they should build it. But how do you resolve the desire of someone wanting some darkness so they can sleep vs. others who want a view?

I just know that advertisers would pay big money to have fancy CGI adverts shoot across all over that display. The potential would be just too great. Imagine the screen resolution required. That would go beyond HD 3D movies. It would be wonderful for underground tube trains. Lot more interesting than seeing tunnel cabling

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
If you got to see what the view outside was like, that would be really great and they should build it. But how do you resolve the desire of someone wanting some darkness so they can sleep vs. others who want a view?

I just know that advertisers would pay big money to have fancy CGI adverts shoot across all over that display. The potential would be just too great. Imagine the screen resolution required. That would go beyond HD 3D movies. It would be wonderful for underground tube trains. Lot more interesting than seeing tunnel cabling

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: howmuch4another

Yup,

And all for a bargain of only $50,000 per seat!

I'll book mine now so I can sit next to a socialite on her way to shop in Paris.

Peace

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
But how do you resolve the desire of someone wanting some darkness so they can sleep vs. others who want a view?

A.....a 2 dollar blindfold?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The exterior is conventional.

You could put the interior into any plane you wanted to.

Or bus or train or whatever, but I don't know why you'd want to, in anything other than a subway car, where there's nothing to see anyway.

Especially why you'd want it in a plane, where there's so much to see?

Nah, can't see this becoming popular, unless it also had the option of displaying the world outside the plane.

Perhaps a better use for this technology would be a stationery installation in the form of a motion-control ride or cinema to give the illusion of travelling without the need to use one of those nasty jets.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic

Nah, can't see this becoming popular, unless it also had the option of displaying the world outside the plane.

It does. It uses exterior video cameras to project outside to inside. It just has the versatility to show whatever you want.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
For those of you that like video

"The ethos of the project is simple, to challenge current thinking, and propose something a little different but not just a fantasy. It has to be credible and relevant, yet provoke discussion". Gareth Davies, Design Director at Technicon's French Studio near Paris.

"I challenged the team to break out of conventional thinking with regards to a business jet exterior and interior. Whilst defining the concept sketches for the exterior, I asked the rest of the team to start thinking about interior concepts and what we could do differently.

We quickly settled on the controversial yet interesting idea of removing the windows from the cabin and using existing or very near future technology to display the exterior environment on flexible screens, which cover the walls and ceiling of the cabin, via external cameras.
This allows weight reduction, simplifies construction and opens up an enormous spectrum of possibilities for interior design. We wanted to couple this with amorphous solar panels which power the low voltage systems on board and thus offer a unique visual dynamic for the exterior.

The user experience is greatly enhanced by directly engaging the passengers with the environment outside, to the point of exhilaration by giving an unhindered panoramic view from the inside. A myriad of potential cabin moods and themes open up by tailoring the images or ambiance that is displayed, even by mimicking a more traditional interior if desired."

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
In regards to modern wrapping techniques of aerofibers it makes sense building a structural air frame without windows.

This would greatly cut the costs of manufacture, and the costs throughout the maintenance cycle of the vehicle.

This would also work for passenger buses, doctors waiting rooms, etc,etc.

And you could put it on the walls of a children's ward at a hospital and just watch them smile.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: majesticgent

Thanks for posting the vid!

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

Imagine the screen resolution required. That would go beyond HD 3D movies.

Indeed. Imagine the computer and graphics adapter they would need to run that resolution. That thing would take up the lavatory and generate enough heat to make the jet a hot air balloon, and require enough electricity to power your entire house.

That may or may not be exaggerated, but still, it would require a lot of power, and a lot of graphics power as well.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Tech like this won't be limited to transportation:

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
It sure would be easy (well , hard) to put that technology on the "skin" of an aircraft (looking like a UFO) thus making it invisible to the naked eye. This possibility has been brought up on ATS before. Sorry for not being able to find links because I am on an IPhone.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: subtopia

I'm guessing it would do wonders for submariners. Getting a few hours of "daylight" when you previously could not for weeks/months might be a huge psychological benefit.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
wtf

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join