It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bodyboarding banned in Rockaway Beach, New York

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

NYC Parks Department makes dubious history for ocean-facing international cities following Bertha.

Hypothetically, if you were in charge of safely servicing the public, would you ban subways because a couple people felt claustrophobic? Would you ban elevators due to some unfortunate cases of vertigo? The world is, after all, an “enter at your own risk” proposition at best. And the ocean is no different.

But in a knee-jerk reaction to two children being carried out to sea during August’s Bertha swell, the NYC Parks Department officially banned the use of bodyboards at Big Apple beaches, most notably Rockaway Beach.

We’re not talking about surfboards, or kiteboards, or SUPs -- but bodyboards. Boogies. Sponges -- the most innocuous of surfcraft; usually the last thing to be outlawed at any beach.

In fact, according to the Rockaway Times, this may be “the first time in history that an ocean-facing international city has banned the outright use of boogie boards.” The restriction was placed on all New York City beaches after an official directive trickled down from Parks Department Rockaways Administrator Jill Weber on August 6th. While safety seems to be the primary motivation for the ban, the decision doesn’t consider “boogie boards” as recreational watercraft, but as “floatation devices.”

Written by Matt Pruett @ surfline.com

www.surfline.com...

I am in a bit of shock after seeing this. This is an incredibly ignorant law written an approved by people who are clueless to the ocean and water safety. Without any doubt the Nanny State is a real entity in the Northeast US.

I can only hope that this law will be struck down and those who support the Nanny State style of government are forced out of office.
edit on 20-8-2014 by jrod because: a

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The Wussification of America....ban boogie boards....now THAT is a major world issue we need to take care of RIGHT NOW people. They seriously had nothing better to do than write a bill on this? Sad.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

The bill was the result of two children being swept out to sea while using 'flotation devices' is what appears to be what caused this knee-jerk type of bill to be passed.

Here is what the city has said about the law:

So far, the NYC Parks Department has been hesitant to respond, much less provide an official statement to either the Rockaway Times or the Gothamist, much less Surfline’s calls and emails; however, a PEP employee leaked to the Gothamist that the official directive came from Weber, who told a reporter, “There has been an increased use of them and we have to ban them for people’s safety.

Public safety, really?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
These are the laws that make no sense and make the city money with tickets.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

It was passed under the guise of public safety, using a grieving family as the emotional blanket. The old "It's for our children's safety!" cry.

As someone with many years experience as an ocean lifeguard, I can say that weak swimmers are much safer on a bodyboard or with any flotation device, than being without anything.

Laws like this make reasonable people dislike authority.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod
Its interesting this law passed when its against actual safety. All about the Benjamin's.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Slow news day..........

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

I found this on surfline.com, a site dedicated to surfing, surf news, surf forecast, ect...

I doubt this would ever make a 'real' news headline, surfers and bodyboarders are in a class of their own.

No one cares when someone else's right to pursue of liberty and happiness is infringed.
edit on 20-8-2014 by jrod because: a

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Slow news day..........

Shhhhh! We don't want any more excitement Ferguson style!!!

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
The Wussification of America....ban boogie boards....now THAT is a major world issue we need to take care of RIGHT NOW people. They seriously had nothing better to do than write a bill on this? Sad.

True words Vasa.
The world is burning,but hey-those darned boogie boards are a danger to behold.

"The Wussification of America" what a very apt phrase.
I live in the UK,and I can sadly assure you that we have been most thoroughly Wussified as well.

The global social engineering program is fully underway.
Many do not see it,but some of us do.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I think there's another rationale behind banning something like this, it has to do with the cost of safety forces, now if you break the law by bodyboarding and require rescue by safety forces, the city can bill you for those costs (which can easily reach 10's of thousands of dollars).

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I'd rather be swept out to sea on a boogie board than just swept out to sea.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
And here I though they were going to say it was because they were afraid that the surge in Great Whites would find the prospect of all those tasty humans sitting on the boards would look too much like seals or something.

Glad to see it's just something totally insanely nanny statish.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Musta had a large corn syrupie drink too. Then just felt like tempting fate and jumped in the water with a hunk of styrofoam. Freekin' maniacs...

Don't they understand they need protecting? And it's the job of mid-tier politicians and bureaucrats to make that happen. Otherwise, what would they do for a job?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Just walking down the street isn't safe in NYC, or anywhere. You are probably 100 times more likely to be assaulted or killed by police in NYC than being swept out to sea. For people's saftey, they should ban the NYCpd. NY state and the big apple seem to be run by neanderthals and mental midgets, and they make a point of proving this every week or so.

top topics

join