Documenting the arrest or abuse of journalists in Ferguson

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: guitarplayer
a reply to: loam

They are a bunch of pikers compared to what old dishonest Abe did prior to the war. He shut down whole papers and pulled rendetions on many a publisher and reporter of the day. This is mild compared to then.

Wartime has always affected the press and especially during the American Civil War. What is occurring in Ferguson is NOT a war no matter how much it tends to look like one.

On the subject of Lincoln and the Press during the American Civil War: castle.eiu.edu...

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

This video should be spread everywhere. How on Earth is anybody on ATS still defending these psychopaths?

I cannot believe what I just watched. That is despicable - "I am glad some are willing to do the job' GTFO with that nonsense!

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

The problem with this paper is the fact that Abe had no right to stop secession from the union. Able belief was that the Federal government was supreme to the states who voluntarily joined the union. He even stated one time that there was no such thing as states’ rights to self determination. Abe was a tyrant and followed many of the ideas that Marx’s espoused of the power of the State (federalism) and it’s ultimate supremacy.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: rickymouse

The actions of some law enforcement aren't very helpful either:

WARNING: EXTREME LANGUAGE

FOX News reporting this officer is now suspended indefinitely.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Got one more. Don't know the name of the reporter yet but here's footage of what occurred via the Globe and Mail. He was arrested or "detained" for asking a question--why are the media being withdrawn?

www.theglobeandmail.com...

The reporters name is Tom Walters, he's a veteran correspondent for CTVnews based out of Ontario. He was asking why the media was being withdrawn and he was correct to ask that question.

www.ctvnews.ca...

CTV also reports that a reporter from Turkey was arrested as well. Walters was released in the morning without charges. I would hazard the reason why they are releasing them without charges is to avoid court cases. Being detained without charge basically strips down the ability to bring up a case questioning constitutionality.
edit on 21/8/14 by WhiteAlice because: added additional information

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
ACLU filed a motion for a temporary restraining order on police tactics used on two points last week including treatment of media:

The suit also said that the measure places "restrictions on the ability of the media to witness and report on unfolding events.

The Missouri AG denied the motion.
www.stltoday.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I want to make a point about all these arrests.. This is nothing new.. If you remember RNC NYC 04 you should remember the boatloads of people who were arrested there in what.. 4 days I think...

It was so bad that a judge ordered everyone who was arrested illegally and that the city would pay 1000 dollars a day for every head still in jail after the judgement..

Today I look and I see this because I was looking for that particular story i mentioned above..

www.nydailynews.com...

City pays $18 million to settle lawsuits stemming from 2004 Republican National Convention at Madison Square Garden
Protesters and bystanders say they were wrongly arrested during the event. Mayor de Blasio says 'he's glad case is settled.'

So this will probably end the same way..

There were alot of reporters arrested during the RNC, they started calling their jail cell Gitmo on the Hudson.

EDIT

Hey Loam, Long time no see..
edit on 8/21/2014 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ThichHeaded

Yep but that's also exactly why this thread exists to document and preserve it in one spot. It's basically to highlight the issues that are and have been occurring in the US in regards to the First Amendment and the freedom of the press. The US has been slipping in terms of press freedom. Before the RNC event, a number of reporters were assaulted and arrested during their attempts to cover the Occupy movement as well.

In 2011-2012, the US slipped from being ranked #20 in press freedom to 47. It is currently #46 for 2014.
en.rsf.org...
rsf.org...

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I honestly think there is no freedom of press.. I dont even watch news anymore, listen to, or anything..
Everything I know about this case is from ATS and even that is shady...
People twist everything to how they want.. The US Press well.. we have this side and that side.. there is no middle side.. So Freedom of Press.. not hardly..

I say this considering 3 or so companies own most of the News in the US now.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThichHeaded

I honestly think there is no freedom of press.. I dont even watch news anymore, listen to, or anything..
People twist everything to how they want.. The US Press well.. we have this side and that side.. there is no middle side.. So Freedom of Press.. not hardly..

You can count on this one thing.
There is something going on beneath the surface and it needs to be brought to light

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

I am curious now.. Explain what you mean.. Something beneath the surface?

I want to point out also about the news..

You can see in Ron Pauls run for the white house how all of the news organizations basically snubbed him from even being on the news for the elections.. Freedom of Press.. Really?

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThichHeaded

That's why I'm actually trying to find corroborating accounts and linking them here. While I would definitely agree that there is so much polarization going on that it's patently ridiculous, if the media is actually trying to cover the events, particularly police interactions with protesters, then they should not be prohibited from actually doing their jobs for once. If we don't ever see what occurs at protests, then we do not know. Period. Complete suppression is actually worse in my book than even having disparate accounts of the same event.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This video is Mustafa Hussein who has been running the I am Mike Brown livestream and he is talking about how on 8/19/2014, he hit a network error along with a fellow journalist nearby. He talks about it in the video titled "Forced back to Target...waiting for press conference 8/19/2014":

new.livestream.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ThichHeaded

The whole situation smells of agenda.
If i knew exactly which, i would've stated it.
Maybe someone smarter than me will uncover it
edit on 8/21/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: im the typo king!

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The way the media has been treated is in this entire Ferguson debacle is by far the most egregious example of how far the attitudes have come in those of whom execute authority.

If they've done nothing wrong and they have nothing to fear.I

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

I think everything you hear on the news is for a reason.. Local or national.. It doesnt matter..

One day I was watching the news cause of a bad storm that was headed our way I wanted to know what was up so i watched..

I noticed how they were pumping fear into people... The specific weather report i wanted to hear... The lady says something like..

"Well there is no chance of a tornado but won't rule one out."
Wtf does this even mean? Is there going to be one or us there not.. If there is is there a slim chance? Or should I just hide in my basement just to be sure...

That above was watching the news local 1 time in probably 7 months..

But everything on the news is there for a reason.. They want people to think a particular way because that is how it is.. Alot of people do not think they think of what other people tell them to think.. That is way this whole situation and many others stinks.. Because the few who do think will be dragged down because of the ones who refuse to think or are unable to...

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

The way the media has been treated is in this entire Ferguson debacle is by far the most egregious example of how far the attitudes have come in those of whom execute authority.

If they've done nothing wrong and they have nothing to fear.I

Thank you for sticking to the topic instead of derailing. Much appreciated. Maybe it's just me but I think that comprehending the relationship between the press and governments, whether it be local or federal, is a huge issue. James Madison saw the press as being extraordinarily important and that is why he specifically wrote in the "freedom of the press" within the First Amendment.

In previous events, like the aforementioned RNC and Occupy, there was no statement from the Executive office in regards to the treatment of the press. This time around, that changed via the Washington Post and Huffington Post--both of which are technically independently owned (Jeff Bezos of amazon.com and Arianna Huffington et al respectively). Both papers, unassociated with the large conglomerates, really broke the story in regards to press freedom as well as the brutal police responses to protesters. Those two papers are the source of the change in reporting, are some of the top papers/news sites in the nation, and are independent of those larger conglomerates. They forced the issue of press freedom here in the US out into the open.

new topics
top topics

<< 1   >>

join