It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, Is The Red Tide Going To Destroy Florida?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
(Disclaimer-I didn't make up the title, so don't blast me for the silliness of it)

(Esquire.com)-
It’s a massive and toxic collection of algae floating just off the coast of Florida, and it could wash ashore at any time—potentially devastating both marine and human life in its (very literal) wake. The Red Tide gets its name from its blood red color, and it basically makes the ocean look like that scene in The Shining.

For context: The Tide is actually a supersaturation of Karenia brevis, a microscopic algae that commonly occurs in low concentrations.

It’s only when it gets out of hand that it kills ocean life and leads to serious respiratory irritation (and possible death) to fishermen. If it hits the shore, beachgoers are vulnerable, too. This year's bloom is about 90 miles long and 5,400 square miles wide. Rhode Island is only about 1,500 square miles wide.

www.esquire.com...

Video story here
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
No.
It's red tide and happens all the time.
It will go away naturally as it always has.
There is no evidence nor reason for anyone to think otherwise

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Square miles wide is a nonsense measurement. Something can be so many miles wide yes or it can be so many square miles in area. Wide connotes distance while square miles is area. Just based on that stupid error the rest is questionable. I have heard of the red tide and its effects on marine life but not that it kills people. 18312988]Black_Fox[/post]

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Friend of mine lives in North Port, just south of this Red Tide. He said couple weeks back he went into water at Englewood Beach and it was like warm bath water. The warmest water he's ever felt down there. This is very unnerving to think about how warm it is in the depths, where the methane hydrates are thawing and pluming to the surface, and atmosphere. Also, the warmer these ocean waters become, they create more of this algae bloom which is mass-producing bacteria that consumes all the oxygen in the area, which then kills off the fish. Just a couple of things to think about in regards to these red tides, that are becoming more frequent and larger.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
It's warm here in Virginia too. Not quite like a bath unless you take a bath in 80° water. Most people bathe in water that's around 104°. I don't think the water gets that warm in the ocean. I went to the beach yesterday and even the incoming tide was warm. It's cooler but was not cold at all. I guess warmer temps can make this algae grow. reply to: Rezlooper

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

He said he suspected that it was 90 or better. He also said air temps have been in the mid 90's all summer with heat index at about 105.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Long story short, no it's not going to trash the state. Red Tide happens, we deal with it.

originally posted by: Rezlooper
Friend of mine lives in North Port, just south of this Red Tide.

NP? Tell your friend I'm so sorry for his/her misfortune then. God, I'm so sorry for them.

He said couple weeks back he went into water at Englewood Beach and it was like warm bath water. The warmest water he's ever felt down there.

How often does he get out to the beach to think that? I'm not that much further north, and I've been out to the beach recently myself. It's bathwater warm, but nothing outside of the range of normal.

originally posted by: Rezlooper
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

He said he suspected that it was 90 or better. He also said air temps have been in the mid 90's all summer with heat index at about 105.

Both are normal for air & Gulf this time of year, Rez. Is your friend from another state or something? He doesn't strike me as local.
edit on 8/22/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Still sounds pretty normal for Florida. Remember the gulf stream travels from the rather shallow gulf of Mexico and shallower( in comparison to the ocean anyway) heats up faster under a strong sun. That's the same water feeding into Chesapeake bay where I'm swimming . Going again today. It's so hot and muggy here. . Gotta love August on the south east coast. reply to: Rezlooper

edit on AMu31u0883430312014-08-22T10:30:28-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
It hardly pays to bother going to the beach if the water is 90°. No relief there. Yuck.
At 80° It's 18° cooler than body temp and will cool an overheated body. At 90 not so much.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Where is supporting documentation that this can kill humans? Still waiting for that.
edit on AM000000310000000883438312014-08-22T10:38:01-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
It hardly pays to bother going to the beach if the water is 90°. No relief there. Yuck.
At 80° It's 18° cooler than body temp and will cool an overheated body. At 90 not so much.

That's exactly how he put it. There was no relief from the heat, so they left.

new topics

top topics

join