It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland grieves after police kill a man for the first time in its history

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+52 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I think in the light of recent events this may prove a little food for thought for some.

"The nation was in shock. This does not happen in our country," said Thora Arnorsdottir, news editor at RUV, the Icelandic National Broadcasting Service. She was referring to a 59-year old man who was shot by police on Monday. The man, who started shooting at police when they entered his building, had a history of mental illness

www.pri.org...

When I read this I was like wow.. It shows a very different attitude the police have in different cultures. Even though the man was armed and shooting at police they apologised to the family of the deceased.

After witnessing what is happening in the US at the moment and the arming of police in scotland you have to wonder if we are doing something very wrong..

purp..

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

S&F just goes to show it is the people's outlook which dictates the world in which we live.

lovely story (apart from the man dying of course)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I wonder what is the rate per 100k people in US, Iceland have like 300k people

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
they killed him in a self-defense!

but in US self-defense seems to be shoot first and shoot to kill.

no second chances.

+26 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Maybe it's because the police in Iceland actually work to serve and protect.

Thanks for sharing this news.
S&F

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
While this is in a sense an uplifting story in respect to Iceland's policing and the way that the modern populace treasure human life, a little psychopathic part of me would like to see a return to the days of feuding, axe wielding nutters with dirty beards running around the place burning each other in their halls again.

Obviously i don't live in Iceland

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
I think in the light of recent events this may prove a little food for thought for some.

"The nation was in shock. This does not happen in our country," said Thora Arnorsdottir, news editor at RUV, the Icelandic National Broadcasting Service. She was referring to a 59-year old man who was shot by police on Monday. The man, who started shooting at police when they entered his building, had a history of mental illness

www.pri.org...

When I read this I was like wow.. It shows a very different attitude the police have in different cultures. Even though the man was armed and shooting at police they apologised to the family of the deceased.

After witnessing what is happening in the US at the moment and the arming of police in scotland you have to wonder if we are doing something very wrong..

purp..

Great story..well sort of, are we doing something wrong?..very obviously.
Peace

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Just a side note.

I've been watching the krona since I learned the '08 story. It's been slowly climbing this past few weeks.
I wish my bank would offer an exchange of currency, that's something I would invest in if I could.

Are the people of Iceland truly at the helm of their own administrative policies?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This actually happened last year, it isn't a current event.

My thread on it then: Iceland police shoot and kill someone. For the first time ever.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Life is less stressful in the Nordic counties. Towns and cities are smaller, so most times you can walk, cycle or take a bus. Then if you do live far out, there are trains that you can use to get to downtown. Then they have social security and retraining for anyone unemployed. Also, everything is tied into your social security number; bank accounts, address, debit cards, so their is less chance to commit fraud even with a transient student population. The weather is more moderate, though it reaches 30C outside for a couple of months, but the winters have long dark nights.

That's a lot different from a capital city like London, or the huge metropolis areas in the USA, where there is a huge transient international working and student population. Given the number of religious and political activists in London, the Parliament, the financial city, and other government offices, they end up with a beefed up police force.
edit on 20-8-2014 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Don't you just love such a plucky little country, how I wish we were more like them. These guys even had the guts to deal with their bankers. Go Iceland Go!

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

After witnessing what is happening in the US at the moment..............you have to wonder if we are doing something very wrong..

There's no wondering about it really. When you compare the U.S. to nearly every other modern country in the world, we are by far the most violent. That's our answer to the problems that most other people talk about rationally......like civilised adults....... in order to resolve their issues.

I found it interesting that the writer of the article felt a need to say that the man had a history of mental issues. Apparently, in Iceland, sane people don't do what he did. In America, we don't see it that way. We see it as a constitutional right to own something that has one purpose and one purpose only. To kill. And if you use it indiscriminately like that man did, you don't have mental issues but rather anger issues that pills can fix. We will spend all day to find rationalizations for our violent behavior while other countries aren't even violent in the first place.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
So, what's the difference between Iceland and USA when it comes to gun violence.

What also is the difference between Chicago and New York?

Why does Chicago have higher gun deaths than New York or Iceland?

Is it gun laws, poverty, police effectiveness...this is the answer to all of our questions. Whatever that answer my be.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Guns, laws, poverty and policing all play roles but none are the root cause. Its a fair question which I do not have an answer too..

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeepImpactX

After witnessing what is happening in the US at the moment..............you have to wonder if we are doing something very wrong..

There's no wondering about it really. When you compare the U.S. to nearly every other modern country in the world, we are by far the most violent. That's our answer to the problems that most other people talk about rationally......like civilised adults....... in order to resolve their issues.

I found it interesting that the writer of the article felt a need to say that the man had a history of mental issues. Apparently, in Iceland, sane people don't do what he did. In America, we don't see it that way. We see it as a constitutional right to own something that has one purpose and one purpose only. To kill. And if you use it indiscriminately like that man did, you don't have mental issues but rather anger issues that pills can fix. We will spend all day to find rationalizations for our violent behavior while other countries aren't even violent in the first place.

Nordic countries allow people to own rifles to go hunting and shooting. They also have national service so everyone is trained how to use these things. It would be better to compare level of violence against town/city size.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Scandinavia was also nearly crime free before the globalists forced multiculturalism on them. Let's enrich the people of Iceland with some Africans and Arabs and see what happens.

Don't change for anyone Iceland.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: adjensen
This actually happened last year, it isn't a current event.

My thread on it then: Iceland police shoot and kill someone. For the first time ever.

Should've posted the picture of a pretty icelandic officer with your thread then.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

a reply to: amazing

Guns, laws, poverty and policing all play roles but none are the root cause. Its a fair question which I do not have an answer too..

Yeah, I mean New York State has tougher gun laws than Illinois, but not by much both are in the top ten toughest gun laws out of all the states. And although Chicago has a pretty high poverty rate, they aren't even in the top ten as far as metropolitan areas go. The big difference between iceland and America is poverty and middle class. Over 90% of the population of Iceland considers themselves middle class and well off, basically.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Moving.To.Iceland.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

It shows a very different attitude the police have in different cultures.

Or maybe the attitudes of the citizens of different cultures?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join